Direct burial RG-6

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

redbeerd

Original poster
Mar 7, 2004
Somewhere in Ohio
I can not find direct burial RG-6 cable in my area, does anyone know where I can get some? along with the connectors? I have to replace the cable to my dish out in the field. thanks!

DONT USE DIRECT BURIAL!!!!!

Bury flexible conduit instead, and put regular RG6 inside it.

NEVER need to dig again and if standards ever change just add some cables.

4 inch schedule 40 PVC drain pipe is a excellent choice and cheap too. Its available in flexible form for ease of installation

Bob Haller said:
DONT USE DIRECT BURIAL!!!!!

Bury flexible conduit instead, and put regular RG6 inside it.

NEVER need to dig again and if standards ever change just add some cables.

4 inch schedule 40 PVC drain pipe is a excellent choice and cheap too. Its available in flexible form for ease of installation

If you use pipe, make sure you have some way to get additional wires through it. running a string will do no good if you install and dope a lot of 90 degree joints. Its hard to pull a string through a bunch of bends. Imagine tying a cable to that and trying to pull it.

chadzx11 said:
If you use pipe, make sure you have some way to get additional wires through it. running a string will do no good if you install and dope a lot of 90 degree joints. Its hard to pull a string through a bunch of bends. Imagine tying a cable to that and trying to pull it.

Solution is to just run a bigger conduit!

For example I did my Cable and Phone underground to the pole. I ran 1 1/2 PVC Conduit to make it easier to run a Fish Tape.

You can probably get away with 1 Inch, however I would run atleast 1 1/2 to makes things easy for pulling cables.

I don't know how perminent your installation is, however if its no big deal to replace standard coax cable will work fine.

The only difference between Direct Burial and standard is that the Direct burial stuff has a stickey gooey gel around the aluminum braiding so if water gets inside it, it can't wick through the cable. Some direct burial cable has a slightly thicker PVC outer jacket.

redbeerd said:
I can not find direct burial RG-6 cable in my area, does anyone know where I can get some? along with the connectors? I have to replace the cable to my dish out in the field. thanks!

How much do you need?

I've got dual with messenger.

I had two flexible conduit pipes ran and when the guy was running the backhoe to dig the ditches for them and then covering them back over he had a heck of a bend in them towards the end. I had to dig them up a few times in order to get it to run through to the other end and it was a PAIN in the but getting the first ones ran through. I used a snake to do it. It was hard getting the others ran through as well. I did that by taping two or three wires onto one of them and got the others to run through (and some dual with messenger to boot) and ran some extra wires for spares for future use or to pull more wire in the future.

It is VERY important to make sure that they are straight to prevent issues getting your wires run in the future.

I have to run 3 200' runs, and am trying to avoid running conduit for a number of reasons, I have to run downhill for about half of that, under a drainage ditch, then uphill the rest of the way. If I run condiut I dont think I will be able to pull the cable through it.
Also, if I run through a conduit and have another field fire I would have a lot more work than just digging back to a good section, patch in a new section and seal it. (me thinks someone is going to comment about doing that)

I dont mind having to dig the cable up every few years to replace it, plus the expense of 200 feet of conduit might be beyond my means right now, I have a sick wife and kid, and am short on cash.
Thanks for all your thoughts on doing it that way, maybe I will think on it somemore.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)