Direct Cinema

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

larryah

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Bartlesville,OK
I am now connected to DTV Direct Cinema, and must say I am rather disappointed. I thought I would be able to stream movies like on Netflix or Amazon, but all I see are PPV, and movies that are on DTV to record {if you have that channel} Is that all there is?

There is a lot more! You can only download from channels you subscribe to, but there are quite a few programs to see.

Also, you say "To Record ?"
All you need to do most times is Download the program and start watching it right after you hit Record.
You'll find it in your PlayList.

This depends on your internet connection as far as how quickly you can watch stuff, but most cases it's pretty much right away.

Also, you say "To Record ?"
All you need to do most times is Download the program and start watching it right after you hit Record.
You'll find it in your PlayList.

This depends on your internet connection as far as how quickly you can watch stuff, but most cases it's pretty much right away.

Yea, the "Record" option seems to throw alot of people off from thinking its instant. As soon as I hit record, its usually available immediatly. I just got to go in the play list and hit play.

What Directv needs to do is write some software to periodically check the internet connection, and if the speed is there then have a button that says "Watch now"

Yea, the "Record" option seems to throw alot of people off from thinking its instant. As soon as I hit record, its usually available immediatly. I just got to go in the play list and hit play.

What Directv needs to do is write some software to periodically check the internet connection, and if the speed is there then have a button that says "Watch now"

Nah, that would make sense, can't do that !

After having TiVo and Netflix I'll have to say that I'm disappointed in D* interface. The hardware works well but the interface is not intuitive and needs to be overhauled!

The Directv receivers don't do Netflix or Amazon. You need to use a different device.

Not entirely accurate. You can watch Netflix if your DVR is networked and you installed PlayOn or TVersity on your computer at home. Both software packages are about $35, one time fee. You can also watch Hulu and You Tube this way. You basically watch it using the Media Share (Music, Photos and More) on the DVR and stream it from your PC. It has a pretty decent interface and picture quality too.

You could also use the PlayOn with Sony Playstation 3 similarly.

Last edited:
Not entirely accurate. You can watch Netflix if your DVR is networked and you installed PlayOn or TVersity on your computer at home. Both software packages are about $35, one time fee.
Or for a few dollars more, you can buy a dedicated machine (i.e. Roku 2) or an upgraded DVD/Blu-ray player that will allow you to avoid the pain and suffering of setting up a media server.

Using a PS3 for Hulu and Netflix without a media server is just dandy.

Or for a few dollars more, you can buy a dedicated machine (i.e. Roku 2) or an upgraded DVD/Blu-ray player that will allow you to avoid the pain and suffering of setting up a media server.

Using a PS3 for Hulu and Netflix without a media server is just dandy.

Provided you already dropped the cash to buy a PS3

Provided you already dropped the cash to buy a PS3
This is assumed if you're running the PS3 with a media server.

I've tried both ways and find the PS3 direct interface to be mostly superior to going through a Windows server for the purpose of viewing Hulu or Netflix videos.

The VOD can be a bit disappointing if you come into it with expectations of it being like Comcast's VOD. You need to purchase a lot of the content on DirecTV, regardless if it's airing on a network or not. For instance, Austin Powers 1 and 2 are both on FX this week and you can set your DVR to record both, but if you wanted to watch it via "VOD", you'd need to pay like $3.50 per each and only have access to it for 24 hours from the time you start it.

On the same hand, I'd love to see DirecTV get rid of all those dedicated to PPV streams and re-dedicate them to HD nationals.. moving PPV's to stream-based service... but exclusively call them "CinemaOnDemand" and keep the free content (or content included in your subscription, etc) under the VOD moniker.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts