Direct cust with a question:

bderouen

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 23, 2006
South Central Louisiana
Hi all!
I'm a very, VERY satisified Dish customer but I'm actually asking this for a friend who is a Direct customer. I think I know the answer, but I'll try asking anyway.

My friend has DirecTV - their DVR and has seen my Dish setup. He wants to switch when he moves to his new house in about a month or so, but his wife is giving him all kinds of grief about it. Her problem is she's recorded a bunch of movies on their Standard Def DVR and she doesn't want to switch, cuz "Then I'll loose all my movies :rolleyes:"

Anyway...the model DVR he has from Direct is an R-15, I think. Is there anyone that has figured out how to copy movies from their DirecTV box if they're moving to Dish?

Any help would be appreciated!

Bruce

Last edited:
It seems to me it would be better to ask in a Directv forum how to copy movies to something to save them, possibly vcr or maybe even dvd.

I'm pretty sure you can't transfer a recording from a Directv box to a Dishnetwork box if that's what you're asking.

Good point. I'll post my question there too. I was wondering if there was a way to export it to anything really, digital, DVD, VCR, whatever. I asked here thinking there may have been others in that same boat, but you're right, exporting to anything else...ANYTHING else is a good option.

Thanks!

OTOH, DVD recorders are pretty cheap these days. Yes, there is some loss due to re-encoding, but if you use a high quality (high bitrate) recording mode, you would be able to make permanent copies of those recorded movies.

OTOH, DVD recorders are pretty cheap these days. Yes, there is some loss due to re-encoding, but if you use a high quality (high bitrate) recording mode, you would be able to make permanent copies of those recorded movies.

Thats what I was going to say--get a VCR/DVD recorder, then you can hook up the sat receiver to the DVD recorder and copy the wifes movies to DVD. 1 movie for best quality on 2hr setting DVD

If you own the DVR, can't you just keep it hooked up without a satellite signal and it will let you replay the content on the hard drive?

I know you can do that with Dish network DVR's

hmmm. I was wondering the same thing, Claude. I didn't know you could do that on Dish's DVRs though. Of course, I think he may have to turn that equipment back in if/when he disconnects, since Direct is like Dish now...considers this leased equipment. When I dumped Direct, I was able to keep my machines (for all the good it did me) but mine was not DVRs.

Thats what I was going to say--get a VCR/DVD recorder, then you can hook up the sat receiver to the DVD recorder and copy the wifes movies to DVD. 1 movie for best quality on 2hr setting DVD

That sounds like a good idea. I wonder...if he doesn't want to fork over the money to buy one, I wonder if those furniture/electronics places rent them. Believe me, his wife probably would not let him buy one :rolleyes:, but maybe if I rent one for them as a gift or something...then she can't gripe at him for spending money!

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I appreciate it!!

Bruce