Direct OTA - How does it work?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

darrencp22

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
Lockport, NY (Buffalo Suburb)
Curious how exactly it works in the guide. Is is seemless like Dish where the channels appear in the guide? What if you're a "mover"? Will the guide download program info for local OTA if i've moved?

If I put all the local OTAs in my guide it would read:

2 (sat HD channel)
2 (sat SD channel)
2-1 (OTA)
2-2 (OTA)
4 (sat SD channel) - since we don't get 4 in HD yet, the SD channel is displayed
4-1 (OTA)
7 (sat HD channel)
7 (sat SD channel)
7-1 (OTA)
7-2 (OTA)
7-3 (OTA)
etc.

The OTA channels are color coded differently than the sat channels (other than this color coding, the OTA channels are treated the same as sat channels and you can use all DVR functions on them). Also, since I hide SD duplicates, the sat SD channels are not shown.

As far as getting the locals in your guide, once your AM21 and antenna are connected, you'll go through the OTA setup where you'll enter your ZIP. Here's where it gets a little screwy: The HR2x series does not scan for OTA channels. Instead, D* keeps a master database of OTA channels for each ZIP, so once you enter your ZIP, those predetermined OTA channels will be added to the guide.

Hope this helps.

Ah so your service address doesnt matter, just specify your zip.

Since you're in wheatfield, do you get CBC? I am able to pull it in out of Toronto but wonder if D will have it in their database.

I cannot get CBC with my indoor antenna (no surprise). And no, D* does not have any Canadian (or Mexican for those on the southern border) OTA channels in its database. If they did, then I might get an outdoor antenna so I could get Canadian channels.

BUT, there is a workaround to get Canadian channels. In addition to entering your primary ZIP in the antenna setup, you can also enter a secondary ZIP. I've heard others entering a ZIP who's DMA includes a digital channel 5.1 (CBC's channel). This channel 5.1 will then appear in your guide, but it will be the call letters of the actual station in the secondary ZIP you entered, and the guide data will be for that channel too and not CBCs. But when you tune to it, it will be the CBC programming.

Here's a list of all DTV stations in operation. If you scroll almost all the way to the bottom, you'll see Great Falls, MT has its ABC station on 5.1. So if you enter a Great Falls ZIP as your secondary ZIP, then it's ABC channel 5.1 would appear in your guide (along with its other OTA channels that you could hide). And when you tuned to it, you'd get CBC.

I hope this makes sense.

Actually, you could add it to your OTA channels but then not display it in the guide. You'd still be able to key in 5.1 on the remote and tune to it that way. And since the guide data would be wrong, why clutter up the guide with it? Just thinking outloud.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)