Status
Please reply by conversation.

w6pea

"Old Jarhead"
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 21, 2011
Mexifornia aka San Diego, Ca.
This was posted on RV.net a little while ago.

"For all of you full time RVer's who have been able to change your "Service Location" on your account and receive local service as you travel guess what. According to DirecTV the FCC has once again changed the rules whereby if you do not have a permanent physical address you will receive your local service based upon where your RV is registered and cannot be changed....ever. I know, I know...many of you will write that you do it all the time. All I can tell you is that after a lot of research I have found that this was never supposed to be allowed to happen in the first place. The FCC has not changed the rules lately but apparently the DirecTV legal department finally woke up and issued a directive that it is no longer allowed, nor should it ever have been! In my case we are full time RVer's registered in South Dakota. Last year we had our service address changed to Florida since we spend several months a year in that area. Now we are in North Carolina and wanted to change the service address to get locals in this area. Nope! Not only did they say they would not change it they took away the Florida locals and set everything up for South Dakota. Therefore, you should be aware that should you try to change your service location you may get it changed but not to where you want it. Oh, and for those of you who are receiving both East and West coast DNS you better be quiet about that as well. According to the resident expert at the FCC I spoke with just today, it is supposed to be East or West coast but not both. Confused? Welcome to my world! "

Does anyone know if it's true or just rumors? :coffee

Check over at RV.net forums and watch I'm sure if it is true there will be a few posts about it.

I'm also sure that given the quality and consistency of D* CSRs your mileage will vary.

Aridon
That's where it came from, I was wondering if anyone had heard about this.

Is this a current article ?
I think the East and West issue has always been a case of one or the other.

I didn't see anywhere that anyone mentioned that as an RV'er if you have service at home as well, your suppose to have a 2nd account for the RV.

Most don't and personally, I don't know why D* would worry about it, but occasionally they do.
As long as your paying for the sub, who cares where it's at at the moment.

As long as all the recvrs are in your homes/RV's.

w6pea,
I followed similar threads on RV.net when we were contemplating going full-time. At that time it seemed to be hit or miss on how D* configured your service. I remember reading posts where people were able to change their "position" rather frequently. Then the chatter changed and it seemed like they were tightening up on the procedure. I just searched a full-time RV forum I belong to and notice that some of the folks in that forum were having problems with D*'s DNS service last November. There were no posts about getting things resolved.

I would imagine that you have seen D*'s official position on full-time truckers/rvers service. But, I will reference them here for those who may not have seen the pages.

D*'s introductory page.
The application for service forms.

It looks like the policy changed around July of last year (note 0710 date on forms). Like everything else at D* it is probably taking some time for everyone to "get the message". At one time I heard that this was wrapped up in homeland security issues. But, I would believe that it has more to do with the fact that they now have to pay locals for distribution and they didn't have the software that allowed them to make changes in their payable's system. I also know that networks are notorious for fighting all forms of time-shifting and alternate signal pickup. Their advertising rates are based on time and if they can't demonstrate that demo to their advertisers they lose money. So they may be part of the problem on this. It certainly looks like this is their policy going forward. Sucks, in my opinion.

But, the forms certainly make it look like your "location" is vehicle registration centric.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)