Direct TV / Dish TV Single Wire

charlesrshell

SatelliteGuys Crazy
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 14, 2006
O'Fallon, IL
Does Direct TV have the same single wire to dual tuners capability like Dish TV does? If not, why not? Which is the better quality, if any, between using single wire with separator and running two wires to dual tuners for Dish TV?

Scott, the PDF files didn't say that much. Wonder why Dish came out first with the single wire. I thought Direct TV was always ahead of Dish, since they were first in other things being the older of the two companys. Just curious

Are you talking about the multi-out, coax line out to a second TV? The reason would be that this is the absolute sorriest PQ you could ever have. If/when DirecTV adds this "feature" they will have tons more complaints because of the 20 or so I have seen on Dish users, they look like crap. I guess this is for users that just can't stomach mirror fees for the ability to use the s-video.

no charper, they are just too cheap to get a 2nd IRD.

and believe me guys, you will pay for the second tv, the slave lines are NOT free with directv. expect to pay 50 to 60 for the techs troubles.

I am talking about the single coax from the dish or switch to a dual receiver tuner with a separator. How come Direct TV doesn't use this technology and Dish does?

charles,
yor signature line says it all, charter (stinks) and you are going to go to dish (S$$$S), so why ask about directv.

dishes "switches" are its weak point and are constantly failing. why are you so against a coax run ? it keeps things simple and reliable.

Charles the technology Scott mentions is on page 42 of the PDF.

D* will be releasing a box mainly to help MDU installs so they only have to run 1 cable inside to the box and do everything else from a central point

Last edited:
I had seen what Scott was talking about, but I was just wondering why Direct TV didn't have the same setup. They are the oldest company and seem to be further ahead of Dish with number of satellites, etc. I was just thinking if maybe it is not as good to run the one wire technology versus two. dragon002 has a good point about switches failing. But what if you had a choice to run the two coaxs versus one for a Dish system, what works better? (quality, signal strength, etc) I haven't gotten my Dish yet dragon002 and might just go with Direct TV. The main thing keeping me away from Direct TV is that their new Mpeg4 isn't coming to the St. Louis area for a while. Plus the HDDVR doesn't have caller ID. But I think they are coming out with a model that does. I am not interested in the NFL ticket. Also, I like the idea that Dish can have coax length up to 200 feet from dish to receiver and I think, but not real sure, Direct wants no more than 100 to 125 feet. What are your thoughts? I just might go with Direct instead of Dish. I am waiting right now for the weather to warm up and they get the bugs out of the 622 Mpeg4 receiver. I have been working on my home installing the additional coax and phone jacks.

There will not be a major difference between the maximum cable runs from the dish to the receiver, from either company.

Be patient, your DMA is only a couple months away. April 06

Baltimore, MD #24
Birmingham, AL #40
Charlotte, NC #27
Cleveland, OH #16
Columbus, OH #32
Denver, CO #18
Fresno, CA #56
Hartford, CT #28
Indianapolis, IN #25
Kansas City, MO/KS #31
Miami, FL #17
Milwaukee, WI #33
Minneapolis, MN #15
Nashville, TN #30
Orlando, FL #20
Phoenix, AZ #14
Pittsburgh, PA #22
Raleigh, NC #29
Sacramento, CA #19
Salt Lake City, UT #36
San Diego, CA #26
Seattle, WA #13
St Louis, MO #21
West Palm Beach, FL #38

Top DMAs skipped in this group:
23: Portland, OR
34: Cincinnati, OH
35: Greenville/Ashville, NC

DMAs that jumped:
38: West Palm Beach, FL
40: Birmingham, AL
56: Fresno, CA

Thanks charper1 for the info. I may just switch to Direct. Do they have HDdvr with caller ID yet? What is DMA? I am new to all this satellite stuff and have been learning.

Direct TV did have a multi room reciever

About 2 years ago, direct TV did have a mult-room reciever for the people who didn't want to pay the extra 5 bucks. It was beta tested in Oklahoma city and I believe Phoenix. I was working in OKC when we had to install them. They were junk and caused alot of service calls. The output to the other room was 18V and it had a little eye that sat on the TV to change the channels. They eventually came out with a DC inserter kit so we could take the voltage out and diplex it back and insert the voltage again, but the kit costed 25 bucks. We had to take 2 lines in and one out to the other room. Since we were beta testing it, if it required a wall fish for the other line, Direct TV expected us to do it for free. It lasted about 6 months then direct tv dropped it. Phillips made the recievers and they were junk.

charles,

sorry, i thought you were one of ergens slugs that slithered in here.

and you even changed your signature line, were ok now. now erase the words "Dish Tv or maybe" and ill be elated.:)

that so called single wire solution is going to be part of the Home Media Center, which in my opinion there will be maybe 25,000 ever in use, maybe 3 years from now. costing big $$$$$$$

the other two points, ive run directv over 400 feet already, with line amps or a powered multiswitch.

again, why the aversion to a coax run, i just dont understand that.

fun_dude101 said:
About 2 years ago, direct TV did have a mult-room reciever for the people who didn't want to pay the extra 5 bucks. It was beta tested in Oklahoma city and I believe Phoenix. I was working in OKC when we had to install them. They were junk and caused alot of service calls. The output to the other room was 18V and it had a little eye that sat on the TV to change the channels. They eventually came out with a DC inserter kit so we could take the voltage out and diplex it back and insert the voltage again, but the kit costed 25 bucks. We had to take 2 lines in and one out to the other room. Since we were beta testing it, if it required a wall fish for the other line, Direct TV expected us to do it for free. It lasted about 6 months then direct tv dropped it. Phillips made the recievers and they were junk.

fun dude, you sure you werent installing ergens junk dual tuner IRDS????:eek: :eek: :D

To answer your question no D* does not have a single wire solution like E*. I also do not believe that D* has a dual tuner receiver. I do not know why but using a separator will does not picture quality on the receiver. The Dish plus separator is a great addition for dual tuner receivers.

all of directv tivos and the r-15 have dual tuners.

and what do you mean..."using a seperator will does not picture quality on the reciever"...mean??

if you meant the second tv doesnt look bad, it most certainly does!!

charlesrshell said:
I am talking about the single coax from the dish or switch to a dual receiver tuner with a separator. How come Direct TV doesn't use this technology and Dish does?
What technology, its a simple of high frequency splitter with a good name.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)