Direct Tv - DVR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tmasters2876

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
With the DVR's, are there no other way to have dual tuner without having to run two lines to the DVR? Comcast and U-Verse (I think U-Verse) do this with one line.

I already have a room with two (actually 4 lines) for my dual tuner dvr, but I am getting a new one for my daughters rooms, and it's not at all easy to get a new line downt he wall, and I'm not drilling a hole in my outside wall to get it in the house. Out house is brand new, built last year so not going to ruin it just yet.

Thanks for any input on this.

DirecTV can use one wire, it's called the Single Wire Module, SWM. A SWM will allow for up to 8 tuners to be run off of one wire from the SWM and using splitters to split the cable to where it's needed. New installs get a SWM LNB as part of the install. Current installs are on their own, either purchasing a SWMLNB or a SWM8 external switch. TiVo Superstore | High Capacity TiVo DVRs, Upgrades, Remotes, Parts & Repairs (a site sponsor) or Solid Signal | Digital Converter Boxes, DIRECTV® Systems, HDTV Antennas, DISH Network, satellite equipment and home entertainment supplies & accessories have these for purchase.

I may have some news on this issue.

I just spoke to the local DirecTV authorized installer here in Albany, NY (Halsted Communications). I asked them about a single line DVR, and he mentioned the SWM, which he called "Swim".

The guy told me that DirecTV has put a hold on new installations for the month of January here in the NorthEast due to the cold weather. Seems the SWM units are breaking when the temperature drops, so they don't want to roll out any more until the weather improves.

To me, this sounds like a bandaid, not a fix. If there's an issue with the hardware and it's ability to operate in freezing temperatures, waiting till the thermometer hits 50 to install is just postponing disaster. What happens next January? We lose DirecTV service till Spring?

Sounds like there is an engineering issue here. Anyone in the North may want to wait a while until there's a better solution.

Ok, so good news and bad news then on this. Thanks a bunch.

I was not even offered a SWM when they came to install the service with DVR to begin with. I wonder if I could take this up with Direct TV. If they would have done this to begin with I wouldn't have these issues. As a matter of fact, the installer wanted to run a second line and charge me for it, at which point I stated that I would run it myself in lou of the $179 he wanted to charge.

So what are my chances of Direct TV making things right. Not big on spending > $100 for something that should have been done to begin with.

Okay, I've got some more information on the Cold Weather issue. I've been doing a lot of searching and researching today, and I came across a lengthy discussion on dbstalk DOT com (can't post the link here, unfortunately). Look for post #1956548 with the subject of "Swm Lnbs Do Not Like The Cold"

A few installers have been going back on the issue since Mid December, and they've been able to get a lot more info on the subject than you or I would by working with the tech folks at DirecTV.

As I understand it, DirecTV uses two suppliers for their SWM modules. One of them has the cold weather problem, and the other does not. My read is that they January hold on SWM installs is so that they can ditch the bad modules, and load up on enough of the good ones to meet demand.

So, there may be hope on the horizon...

Basically some WNC LNB's have issues while Eagle Aspen Models do not. WNC ones look cheap. The WNC ones that have problems are the ones where the plastic housing pops off with a sneeze, exposing poorly applied orange sealant.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts