Direct TV Error Code 775

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DanJack63

Original poster
Aug 1, 2013
MO
I'm new to Directv and purchased it for my house abut 6 months ago. I have a cabin that has an old 18" dish on it, and I was told I could take one of my receivers from my house and use it to get Directtv at the cabin. I purchased a new dual ouput LNB/FTA Single Statellite Dish Antenna and a new RG6 cable for the cabin and hooked it to the old dish. I hooked it directly to the receiver that I took from my house, which is a H25-100. I get an error Code 775. I don't have my ladder so I can get on my house roof now to see the system I have, but my system looks like a SlimLine dish with a single wire coming down from the feed arm. The LNB has a single "eyeball". I also have a HR24-200 DVR in my house and I believe a wireless device for Whole Home. What am I missing for the cabin set up? Do I need a power inserter? Also, it looks like there has been a lot of tree growth since the cabin satellite was used last. Do I need a completely clear shot at the sky to get reception? Thanks for any input.

The H25 requires a SWM system, which you have at your main house.
The cabin doesnt have a SWM. The HR24 should be able to work at the cabin, but will need the satellite settings changed between the 2 properties. The Sat settings are in the menus (Menu/Settings and help/Settings/Satellite/Repeat satellite setup).
Not familiar with the Dish you got for the cabin, so not sure which dish type to set it to, but I CAN tell you that the switch type has to be changed to 02:Multiswitch.
When you bring it back to the main house and go to "repeat satellite setup", it should auto-detect the SWM and Dish type.. so all you have to do there is hit continue.

Thanks Lanarian for your feedback. So, If I understand you, the H25 will only work with an SWM system. The HR24 would make the cabin a SWM system (allow the H25 to work), but I would have to transport the HR24 back and forth to do this? Is there anything else I can do (buy), so that I don't have to remove the HR24 from the house? Can I just buy a multiswitch or something? Or a different satellite? If I can buy exactly what I have on my roof at home, and install it at the cabin, will it work? Or do I still have to have the HR24? I don't have a problem spending a few $ if I can keep satellite at both locations. I have neighbors by the cabin with old systems (dont' know if they are multiswitch or not), and they are using a receiver out of their house, with no issues. I would be even willing to downgrade my home system if I could get it to work at both locations.

Thanks Lanarian for your feedback. So, If I understand you, the H25 will only work with an SWM system. The HR24 would make the cabin a SWM system (allow the H25 to work), but I would have to transport the HR24 back and forth to do this? Is there anything else I can do (buy), so that I don't have to remove the HR24 from the house? Can I just buy a multiswitch or something? Or a different satellite? If I can buy exactly what I have on my roof at home, and install it at the cabin, will it work? Or do I still have to have the HR24? I don't have a problem spending a few $ if I can keep satellite at both locations. I have neighbors by the cabin with old systems (dont' know if they are multiswitch or not), and they are using a receiver out of their house, with no issues. I would be even willing to downgrade my home system if I could get it to work at both locations.

IF you match up your cabin set up with the one you have at home, that would be the best way....

Guys, IF he sets up a SWiM at the cabin, can he take the h25 to the cabin and expect it to work ?
Doesn't the H25 need a genie to run it, or is that only the clients ?

If a SWM is setup at the cabin, then the H25 will work fine.. The H25 doesn't need a Genie (or any other receivers) to work. Thats only the Clients or "Mini-Genies".. C31's and C41s
DanJack, you misunderstood a bit.. The HR24 will work at the cabin all by itself. It will not make it so the H25 will work. The HR24 will not make the cabin a SWM system.
A SWM (Single Wire Multiswitch) is a device (usually in the dish) that distributes the signal from the dish to the receiver(s). It requires a Power Inserter (like you have at the main house).
So, best options:
1. Take the HR24 to the cabin when you go there, it will work with what you have, just have to change some settings.
2. As Jimbo said, set up the cabin like the main house (Slimline Dish with SWM and a power inserter), and you can use the H25.

Excellent feedback guys. I did misunderstand. So the H25 requires a SWM system and the HR24 does not. And the H25 can run without the HR24. So I can take the HR24 to the cabin and leave it there and it will work with the cabin setup and the remaining H25s will still work at home. In this scenario I assume I will have to do without the DVR function at home. So sounds like I have to weight the cost of a SWM system for the cabin vs. giving up DVR at home, or take the HR24 back and forth.

Now the last of my original question: I have some tree branches in the path of the dish on my cabin roof with significant leaf cover in the summer. Will I still get good reception? Do I need to cut some large branches of my neighbors tree, when he is not home. Do I need to relocate the dish? Or can I use another satellite? Relocating the dish may be difficult as my property is nearly surrounded by trees in the direction that the dish is currently aiming, which is also the direction of all of my neighbor's satellites.

Thanks for any input

You've got it now DanJack.
As far as trees and LOS (Line of sight) without seeing it we really can't say.. Best is to try it and see. For Main programming in SD, you only need to see the 101 satellite, for HD channels you need the 99 and 103 sats.
The satellite numbers correspond to the Longitude that the satellite is over.
If you can see the 101, but not 99 and 103, you could set the receiver to "Hide HD Channels", that would make sure you only tune to SD channels and not get the dreaded Searching for Satellite message all the time. Or.. another option would be to set it to an 18" round dish.. that would also stop it from looking for HD channels. Lots of options once you have it hooked up to get it to work.

If a SWM is setup at the cabin, then the H25 will work fine.. The H25 doesn't need a Genie (or any other receivers) to work. Thats only the Clients or "Mini-Genies".. C31's and C41s
Thanks Lanarian,
I can't keep up with all the recvrs/clients floating around now .... the H25 needs to have a SWM to work, iirc, but must have a tuner on it's own.

Is this correct ?

You've got it now DanJack.
As far as trees and LOS (Line of sight) without seeing it we really can't say.. Best is to try it and see. For Main programming in SD, you only need to see the 101 satellite, for HD channels you need the 99 and 103 sats.
The satellite numbers correspond to the Longitude that the satellite is over.
If you can see the 101, but not 99 and 103, you could set the receiver to "Hide HD Channels", that would make sure you only tune to SD channels and not get the dreaded Searching for Satellite message all the time. Or.. another option would be to set it to an 18" round dish.. that would also stop it from looking for HD channels. Lots of options once you have it hooked up to get it to work.

Dan Jack,

MOST of the time , if you can get the 101 you can also get the 99 and 103, IO said most, because there are always situations that could pop up, but chances are if you have the 101 and good signal on it, 90's, you can probably get the rest.

As for the branches with leaf cover, like Lanarian said, you'll have to see, but usually, the signal doesn't like leaf coverage ...

However, when you get a chance to look at your dish at the Cabin,... don't follow the path of the arm when your looking to see the branches, the signal actually comes in much higher than the arm, so if your good (or worse) higher than the arm looks, you may be in luck.

I'll plug one of Sat Guys sponsors and throw it out there that Solid Signal has DTV SWiM 16 on sale right now for $105 ( maybe $109 I am too lazy to go find the email from earlier today )

Wait I don't see the SS banner anymore ,are they no longer a sponsor ?

RLDreams said:
I'll plug one of Sat Guys sponsors and throw it out there that Solid Signal has DTV SWiM 16 on sale right now for $105 ( maybe $109 I am too lazy to go find the email from earlier today )

Wait I don't see the SS banner anymore ,are they no longer a sponsor ?

You can get them on eBay for $50

It's likely these came off eBay as Directv sells them to dealers for over $200

Thanks again for all the feedback guys. I will probably use my HR24 from home to see what kind of signal I'm getting from the existing satellite and see if my neighbor will allow me to trim his tree if need be. While we're on the subject of purchasing a satellite dish, allow me to ask a couple more dumb questions. Looking on EBAY, I see several different variations of SWM dishes, like SWM3, SWM5 etc. Can I use any of these with the H25? What are the basic differences in setups? KA/KU? Thanks for all your help.

SWM 3 and SWM 5 are basically shorthand for the number of LNB's the Dish has...
SWM3 is a Slimline 3(S) SWM.. It will pull signals from Sat's 99, 101 and 103.
SWM5 is a Slimline 5(S) SWM.. It will pull signals form 99, 101, 103, 110 and 119. (Note, I'm not sure, but I dont think the 110 is used anymore).
They're both Slimline Dishes and both use a SWM.. the only difference is which satellites they can "see".
EDIT: Oh, another thing you might see is "SWM 8" and "SWM 16". This refers to the SWM itself (not the dish). The number refers to how many channels it supports.
Each Tuner on a receiver uses one channel. So your HD-DVR uses 2 (Your H25 only uses 1). A SWM 8 would be plenty.

A little further clarification: a swm8 or swm 16 is a multiswitch that uses a standard lnb on the dish. It requires four lines from the lnb to the switch. A swm lnb needs only one line to a splitter, which can supply up to 8 tuners.

SWM 3 and SWM 5 are basically shorthand for the number of LNB's the Dish has...
SWM3 is a Slimline 3(S) SWM.. It will pull signals from Sat's 99, 101 and 103.
SWM5 is a Slimline 5(S) SWM.. It will pull signals form 99, 101, 103, 110 and 119. (Note, I'm not sure, but I dont think the 110 is used anymore).
They're both Slimline Dishes and both use a SWM.. the only difference is which satellites they can "see".
EDIT: Oh, another thing you might see is "SWM 8" and "SWM 16". This refers to the SWM itself (not the dish). The number refers to how many channels it supports.
Each Tuner on a receiver uses one channel. So your HD-DVR uses 2 (Your H25 only uses 1). A SWM 8 would be plenty.

Actually to clarify the Slimline-3 dish sees three satellite locations, the Slimline-5 sees five. The dishes have more than three or five LNBs. The "3-LNB" name is sort of a holdover from the Phase III and dual-LNB dishes of yore. But it's a minor distinction and for the most part people tend to use the so-called "unclear" term and everyone still gets what they mean.

Actually to clarify the Slimline-3 dish sees three satellite locations, the Slimline-5 sees five. The dishes have more than three or five LNBs. The "3-LNB" name is sort of a holdover from the Phase III and dual-LNB dishes of yore. But it's a minor distinction and for the most part people tend to use the so-called "unclear" term and everyone still gets what they mean.

This is pretty much what I was going to post, that the lnb 3 sees 3 Sats, 5 sees 5 Sats.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)