This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Direct TV north of Toronto

Marg

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Ajo AZ
If you pay for Direct would we still get the same signal say in North Bay Ont as we would get say in Mesa Az were we live in the winter.If we pay for the east networks would they still work up here.

Very unlikely. For sure the DirecTV HD satellites don't cover much of Canada, the SD ones somewhat more.

This signal should come in just fine although you wouldn't get Mesa locals but the east NY ones should work fine

At 46 degrees lattitude, North Bay will be fine for Directv signal reception for both SD and HD channels.

Use either the AU9 slimline dish or the older AT9 sidecar dish and you will be fine. I have done some research and found anything 51 degrees (Calgary) south is fine for these dishes. As you move north from this point, you will slowly lose a portion of your HD channels - SD will be fine though.

If either New York or Los Angeles are your "home" locals, you will receive those fine but you mention Mesa, so no you will not receive those in North Bay.

Yes, as noted the Big 4 nets are available on the national satellites from LA and NY. If you have locals from Arizona they're on a spot beam and won't work much outside of the state, let alone in Ontario. It's very possible to change your service address with DirecTV to an address that qualifies for said locals if necessary.

Also be aware that the quiet toleration Shaw has for snowbirds is not mutual with DirecTV. I'm not saying that should stop you receiving a service you're paying for, but remember to not let D* know you're up there or they'll shut you off.

I might just use direct for our winter residence and put it on vacation for the summer and put Bell on vacation for the winter then aside paying the $10 a month I would be very legal and not breaking any rules from either company. Thanks for the replies.

Yes, sorry I was confused. North Bay is well within the contour map for the HD US national satellites.
But just FYI receiving DirecTV in Canada is actually ILLEGAL (not just a breach of the DirecTV terms of service). Not that this happens very often, but the police can confiscate your equipment and fine you.

I looked on the net the other day and called a place in Toronto that sells Direct TV and its service it was a lot more money than if you buy it in the US.Now I'm not saying its not legal but why don't the police shut them down.

Because the RCMP probably has better things to do. I drove around the east side of Lake St. Clair last Sunday and noticed at least a dozen D* dishes on houses along the Canadian side of the river. Big slimlines with "DirecTV" plastered right on them. Pretty clearly nobody cares.

I have a family in Canada and a cousin of mine is on the Police force. Out of curiosity I asked him if they would ever go after people for having US dishes as I have one of my receivers up there. He was laughing at first and once he realized I was serious he said that they(RCMP & local police) will never ever go after end users with us sat and that it would take more then a few complaints to go after dealers. Unless they are back door and not charging or paying tax ect,ect.

Yes, I think they have better things to do. But I know they have gone after a couple of dealers.
None the less, the law exists. I suspect the only way it will get enforced is if Bell decides to make a big noise, because of course DirecTV is not licensed to deliver programming to Canada and all those DirecTv dishes represent lost customers for Bell or Shaw Direct.