Direct TV only for Tailgating HELP

Status
Please reply by conversation.
First off, thanks for the replies.

Now, after I posted, I went to the store and bought a better compass, along with 2 levels. I mounted one level to the mast and the other to the base of the tripod. Simple. I leveled the tripod and mast and plugged everything up.

I cranked up the D11, and went to the set up. I chose round dish from the setup screen and entered my zip code. It told me my settings. I placed the compass on the LNB and rotated the dish to an approximate setting, in my case it was 233° and 51° of tilt. It only gave me the option to look for the 101 sat.

Went back to the TV and ran the transponder test, then looked at signal strength. Without any adjustments it locked into the 101 sat with a 96% strength. I completed the setup and fired up the guide. BOOM. Had my channels!

So, I am still unsure if my dish is really a round dish or a modified oval one. I found a few pics to describe what I have.

My dish looks EXACTLY like this:

directvtripod1SA.jpg

So is this "round" or "oval". Because on the DTV setup screen, when I select "Oval 2LNB" it shows an illustration that resembles:

directvphase3tripod.JPG

Thanks again. I hope my trial and error will help others facing the same problems.

Don’t know where BTN comes from but ESPNs are off 101. Someone more in-the-know may help. Not 100% sure but I think 110, and 119 is HD, Spanish, and religious.

Attached is a file I got from here (I think it was Digiblur that created it, but I'm not sure) that lists the channels by transponder/sat.

I apologize to the original poster of this document if I didn't get your name correct.

Attachments

• DTV.2007.01.26-ByBeam.pdf
    74 KB · Views: 226
DiamondN... Great to hear! I guess now that I look at your photo, that is a slightly oval dish. I believe (my installer told me) that almost all the stuff we would want at a tailgate (including my locals from Cincy) are on 101.
NOTE to Sharpie: I got the BTN on the same dish pictured in Diamonds post. For those who are looking for an easy way to position, the one I have is called a Bullseye and it's great for my RV or even just a picnic bench. Google it if you need something like it.

Attached is a file I got from here (I think it was Digiblur that created it, but I'm not sure) that lists the channels by transponder/sat.

I apologize to the original poster of this document if I didn't get your name correct.

The PDF is password protected

thanks for the info. Looks like everything I need is on the 101 satellite.

Need some help once again. I am trying to hookup before going out tailgating and finally I was able to get the setup screen to present itself. Off of the setting page I have values of (Azimuth 214 degrees, Elevation of 38 degrees, and tilt of 66 degrees. This is in Urbana, Illinois 61801. I have no signals on any of my 101 transponders. I have a completely clear sky to do this test. To me, it looks like there is not enough elevation because it looks like it is pointing towards the ground. I know I am getting somewhat close because last time the signal was non existent and the settings page wouldn't even pop up. I am using an oval 3 lnb dish and have made sure I am both plumb and level with the mast. Any help would be appreciated.

First off, thanks for the replies.

Now, after I posted, I went to the store and bought a better compass, along with 2 levels. I mounted one level to the mast and the other to the base of the tripod. Simple. I leveled the tripod and mast and plugged everything up.

I cranked up the D11, and went to the set up. I chose round dish from the setup screen and entered my zip code. It told me my settings. I placed the compass on the LNB and rotated the dish to an approximate setting, in my case it was 233° and 51° of tilt. It only gave me the option to look for the 101 sat.

Went back to the TV and ran the transponder test, then looked at signal strength. Without any adjustments it locked into the 101 sat with a 96% strength. I completed the setup and fired up the guide. BOOM. Had my channels!

So, I am still unsure if my dish is really a round dish or a modified oval one. I found a few pics to describe what I have.

My dish looks EXACTLY like this:

directvtripod1SA.jpg

So is this "round" or "oval". Because on the DTV setup screen, when I select "Oval 2LNB" it shows an illustration that resembles:

directvphase3tripod.JPG

Thanks again. I hope my trial and error will help others facing the same problems.

How did you switch to round from oval? I do not want to use auto detect do I

If using a 3lnb at the tailgate with one tv, does it matter which of the 4 connectors on the lnb I use?
Thanks, Bill

Need some help once again. I am trying to hookup before going out tailgating and finally I was able to get the setup screen to present itself. Off of the setting page I have values of (Azimuth 214 degrees, Elevation of 38 degrees, and tilt of 66 degrees. This is in Urbana, Illinois 61801. I have no signals on any of my 101 transponders. I have a completely clear sky to do this test. To me, it looks like there is not enough elevation because it looks like it is pointing towards the ground. I know I am getting somewhat close because last time the signal was non existent and the settings page wouldn't even pop up. I am using an oval 3 lnb dish and have made sure I am both plumb and level with the mast. Any help would be appreciated.

Sharpie... on my setup the dish is clearly pointing up but not grossly (43degrees for Cincinnati) That sort of surprises me that you would be so different because we're about the same latitude. What REALLY helps me with my D11 receiver is to go to the audible signal screen. If your rec'vr is getting NO signal it will "stick" on the searching page. You have to hit Exit and then menu. Nav to the setup, and the View Signal Strength, cursor to the bottom and select Signal Meters. Put the TV close enough that you can hear the 'feedback' audible signal. You can then just literally start rotating the dish and even changing elevation. You'll eventually get a "hit" and the meter will jump. Start locking it in and then tighten all your fittings. But definitely the arm holding the lnb should have an upward pitch. The adjusting bolt on the dish should be to the right of the 38 engraved on the side... not the middle of it. If you're still having trouble I'll send a pic of mine set to 43 for reference. Keep at it.. once you get it (and you will) it'll all be worth it. I was at a college game last weekend. We had ESPN, B10, and locals. Great!:cool:

Go Cocks!

<<I've been tailgating for a few years with satellite TV at the Brice and the last few have been with HD. This year will be with the 5LNB Slimline dish, an OTA antenna until Columbia gets their locals in HD over satellite, an H20 receiver, and a 24" widescreen HD monitor.>>

HI... Saw that you were going to take the 5lnb tailgating and would love to hear how difficult it was to align. The simple 1 (or 2) LNB dish is so darn easy, I don't know if I want to fool with pulling my H20 and having to get the larger post. I mount mine on top of the RV and I can lock it in without a compass or anything now. BTW, sorry about Vanderbilt... we have them this week.

Thanks for any information!:cool:

Last edited:
Can I use a Round Dish to pull in programming from any of the 3 satellites (101, 110 & 119). I know I will not be able to get all simultaneously, but if I want to watch something in HD on 110, can I just rotate the dish a little or am I limited to watching ONLY channels on 101?

Why don't I use a 3-LNB, you may ask? I use my RV and, unlike a Round Dish I've seen (that has a fold up arm for transport), the 3-LNB dish I used to use does not allow the arm to fold up and the dish part got bent, thus rendering it useless.

Thanks!

I live in Charleston, SC. I will be tailgating in Columbia, SC most of the time with a few away games added in. My question is: What equipment do I need to get off eBay in order to get what we need at Tailgate? We will want the local and ESPN and such.

Since I will have my own equipment, do I have to sign a contract? How much will it be a month and what package do I get?

I will be running an lCD TV from a generator or inverter. I am assuming I will need a dish (mounted on the top of my Tahoe or a Tripod), a reciever with remote, and thats it right?????
If you had D* at your house, you could add a receiver, then just buy a dish. Best of both worlds. Take the extra box and dish with you, mount it on a tripod line it up and you are good to go. Yes you will have to sign a contract. Some have said suspend it while you arent tailgating and thats an option. We do this at every alabama game we go to.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)