Direct TV or Dish Network?

jmy350z

Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
Which should I pick? I have the Sony 60" SXRD so I would definately want hd programming,I also have a smaller non-hd set in my bedroom that I would need hooked up. I do not need a dvr. Being a new subscriber, I see that the new MPEG4 equiptment is coming out. Which system should I go with?

I recently was looking to sign up for a satellite TV service for the first time. I researched DirectTV and Dish Network a lot, read these forums a lot, and eventually decided to go with Dish Network.

I have had it for about 3 months now, and I cannot be happier, Both with the HD channels, and the SD channels.

I am admittedly an E* sub (7+years) and I have no experience with D*, so my response may be somewhat biased tho' I'll try to be objective. As a new sub for either service you should check with both (perhaps several calls to each) to see what packages/incentives/commitment periods either is willing to offer. That may be more important to you. You might also want to call a local installer for their suggestions, preferrably one that sells/installs both.

From what I've read in these forums:

1) D* will be your choice if you're oriented to the sports packages.

2) D* currently has more satellite capacity and I believe is ahead in terms of LiL coverage. E* is catching up.

3) E* recently released their first gen MPEG-4 equipment. I haven't seen a definite date for equivalent D* equipment yet. That may not make any difference to you in the short term, but almost all of E*'s LiL HDs will be in MPEG-4 and both services will migrate in that direction as more HD content becomes available.

4) E* is currently offering 25+ HD channels with their "metallic" packages and premium programming (23 I believe without the 2 premiums). You'll need the MPEG-4 capability to get 7 of those (even tho' the programs themselves are not actually in MPEG-4 yet). Not sure what the D* count is at this time.

5) Almost all sat HD programming is "HD-lite", i.e., compromised PQ, but E*'s PQ is reportedly superior "by the numbers" in terms of resolution and bitrate. I will attest to the "almost HD" look I've getting with the voom channels as compared with the single OTA channel I currently receive (which is at 1080i). HDNet and ESPNHD are suburb on E* and probably on D* as well. More to come, I'm sure...

6) Both E* and D* have migrated to lease programs, tho' E* will still activate sub-owned equipmemt. You'll have to compare the quoted rates to see what makes sense to you there. As a new sub I'm not sure that you'd be entitled to any of the remaining "legacy" offers from E* however - YMMV.

Hope this helps!

Are we having fun yet ??

bhelms, just one small item in #3, D* equipment supporting mpeg-4 has been out for some time (along with mpeg4 HD programming), in the form of the H20 (non-dvr), perhaps you meant the D* mpeg-4 HD _DVR_, in which case you're right, but, he also stated he did not need a DVR.

In so far as mpeg-4 is concerned, D* _seems_ to be ahead in the mpeg4 rollouts (I am not remarking on quality, just time to completion)

Not trying to argue or anything, just clarifying. :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)