direct tv - satellite signal lost

Status
Please reply by conversation.

soprano55

Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
fredericksburg va
we had a brief storm in Virginia. Less than 10 minutes. Lost signal. Check markings on dish. (previously marked with paint). Dish in same spot. Call Direct tv and told me to reset. Which I did several times. Still no signal on any of the TV's.

Any suggestions?

If you have a SWM system or a Zimwell switch,make sure they are plugged in.

Im assuming you went to the antenna since you stated markings were in same place.Did you look at the LNBF?It may have been struck by lightning.If it was you can tell just by looking at it.It will look cooked...literally.
Ive seen properly grounded systems struck by lightning and destroyed before,so dont think that just because your system is grounded its fully protected.
Where were your markings?On the azimuth(left and right roataion),elevation(up and down angle),or skew(sideways rotation as if a steering wheel).

It could have been damaged or moved in the storm but I remember reading here that after long periods with no signal each box needs to be unplugged for a few minutes before a full restart can be performed. I could be wrong on the time &/or reason for this reboot as I've personally never needed to do it but I would unplug your units power as well as the coax input for five minutes then attempt to bring them all back online. If this doesn't work a service call is your only other option.

If it was only rain fade it should have came back as the storm passed. I would guess that the dish has lost alignment if the LNBF didn't take a hit. He can run diagnostic tests with DTV on the phone that may be able to narrow it down.

thanks for the input. I will check the switches and LNB.

i have had direct tv do a reset and i have unplugged all the boxes. The first service call I can get is Tuesday.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)