Direct TV Setup in an RV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Rich45

Original poster
Jul 22, 2016
Tucson, AZ
I have a slimline swm dish connected to a hr24 receiver. At times I can set up and connect to a signal very easily. I have been trying to set up my dish in a new location and have spend a couple of hours and no success. I must be doing something wrong. The tripod and mast are as level as they ever have been. I have set the tilt to the proper tilt for the area and the elevation is close. the red is off of the indicator but I have set the leading edge of the indicator to 32 for the area. The direction I set with both a compass and satelite finder. Although there is a bit of difference between the two they are close and I have move the dish through the whole range.

I have not gotten a signal. I can figure out if I adjust the dish before the signal meter on the receiver recognizes it or if I have something set wrong.

a couple of questions if you use the signal meter on the receiver is there a delay.between when the dish is moved and when it recognizes the signal. In other words is is possible that I am by passing the signal to quickly. the last location I set up the dish (last week) had more obstruction and I was able to get the signal. This location is open to the location of the satelite.

I was thinking of buying a birdog meter but did not want to go to that expense when everything I need is here except of a competent operator.

Thank you for any help that you can give me.

:welcome to Satelliteguys Rich45!

Are you using the numbers supplied by the receiver for your zip code? What is the zip code where you are?

The delay using the satellite meter on the tv is very little, I've aimed several dishes using it with little trouble.

Do you have a SWM LNB? Is the power inserter in line and plugged in (if swm)?
Any damage to the dish itself, dings or bending of the metal?

:welcome to Satelliteguys Rich45!

Are you using the numbers supplied by the receiver for your zip code? What is the zip code where you are?
Yes I am using the receiver and the zip code. I have also used the satellite finder which gives me basically the same numbers with exception that the satellite finder I believe is based on true north which a declination of 15.38 degrees the zip is 98816 receiver gives me 137 degrees az 32 elevation and 107 tilt.

the satelite finder on my phone gives me green between about 151 and 154. so I assumed that the 137 plus the delination of 15 would be 152.

Yes I am using the receiver and the zip code. thI have also used the satellite finder which gives me basically the same numbers with exception that the satellite finder I believe is based on true north which a declination of 15.38 degrees the zip is 98816 receiver gives me 137 degrees az 32 elevation and 107 tilt.

the satelite finder on my phone gives me green between about 151 and 154. so I assumed that the 137 plus the delination of 15 would be 152.
Just used a location finder app and used the lat and long which was 47.836 and 120.081. the receiver will only take two numbers and three numbers receptively but the new info is AZ 155, Elev 33 degrees and tilt 107..

The delay using the satellite meter on the tv is very little, I've aimed several dishes using it with little trouble.

I have a SWM 3. It is correctly attached. The dish is free of any damage. I am alway very careful not to ding the dish.

Yes I am using the receiver and the zip code. I have also used the satellite finder which gives me basically the same numbers with exception that the satellite finder I believe is based on true north which a declination of 15.38 degrees the zip is 98816 receiver gives me 137 degrees az 32 elevation and 107 tilt.

is it better to use the signal strength meter rather than the saellite Trasponders to set the dish?

if the mast is center buble, how much can the elevation be off and still get a signal. I am using the leading edge of the elevation indicator to set the elevation.

The post bubble isn't necessarily accurate. I'd use a post level instead.

did not read carefully I am in Chelan Washington zip code 98816

I think you went the wrong way ...

Try 32 Elevation
139 Azmidth
74 Skew/Tilt

According to dishpointer the skew should be 106.6°.

Elevation: 31.8°
Azimuth (true): 154.7°
Azimuth (magn.): 139.1°
LNB Skew [?]: -16.6°
arrow-l.png

Note the -16
minus
, not plus.

Plus 16 would make it 106, but I don't even remember if the scale goes that high.
106 would be awfully low in the sky. (if I'm thinking right, it's dark out and I'm not going out to look.)

If you take -16 from the 90 base, you get 74 which is much more reasonable.

We are saying the same thing Jimbo. I guess it depends upon how the scale is set up. Looking from the back of the dish, it should be turned 16° counter clockwise from vertical.

I have a Dish Wally receiver, can anyone tell me, if I have cable hookup will it still need to run on the antenna? I can't get it to woe with just the antenna

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Status
Please reply by conversation.