direct tv - switching to HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

aeneas3

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
hi everyone
first post as u can see. attempting to type in between ghouls and goblins and pirates and fairies coming to the door. anyway, my wife and I have had direct tv I since last april and have a 1 yr agreement. With our 1 yr we have total choice plus + HBO + sports pack after having the free 3 months of premier. We recently got a great deal on a new Mitsubishi ws 55517 . So of course we were wondering about upgrading to HD. As existing DTV subscribers what dtv was offering was
-$499 HDTV recorder less $100 rebate
- $99 for the dtv man to come out and make necessary adjustments/installations (including HD receiver I think)
- $5.99 HD programming package for six months (saving $5/month)
I am not sure if I want to spend $500 for the HD programming and tivo (i know it isnt tivo anymore)
I had thought about using bunny ears/antenna to see how many channels I would get thru the tv. Realistically watching sports in HD would be sweet, but I dont think we have to record in HD. So ignoring the recorder, $100 for him to come out and $5.99 for 6 months sounds reasonable.
does anyone have any other recommendations? on a better deal?
should I wait until my agreement runs out and then hope for a good retention or new user deal (dish?)
Cant wait to play the 360 on the new tv when it comes out :)
thanks and have a safe Hallow's eve
ps
if this should be in the HD forum, please move thanks

The $99 for the guy to come out and install it doesn't sound right unless you need some sort of custom work. Usually the basic install is included when you buy right from DirecTv.

Also if you don't want the recorder just get a regular HD receiver. Check with Value electronics. They are a forum sponsor and may be able to give you a good deal on one.

thanks

thanks guys
so it looks like if we dont go with the dvr we are looking at ~$199 for the receiver and then free months of service -> 10.99 per month.
~ i may need to call dtv b/c it sounded like it would be $100 for installation/receiver/new dish. if that includes the hd receiver than doesnt that sound better than valueelectronics? if not i will go with them for sure :)

aeneas3 said:
thanks guys
so it looks like if we dont go with the dvr we are looking at ~$199 for the receiver and then free months of service -> 10.99 per month.
~ i may need to call dtv b/c it sounded like it would be $100 for installation/receiver/new dish. if that includes the hd receiver than doesnt that sound better than valueelectronics? if not i will go with them for sure :)

Call VE and find out mention that you are from Satguys and see what they can do for you. Doesnt hurt to call.

minorthr said:
Call VE and find out mention that you are from Satguys and see what they can do for you. Doesnt hurt to call.
will do thanks :)

You should be able to play CSR roulette to get a regular H10 for free with a 2-year commit fairly easily. Expect to pay for the HD-DVR.

GeorgeLV said:
You should be able to play CSR roulette to get a regular H10 for free with a 2-year commit fairly easily. Expect to pay for the HD-DVR.

yes, looking back I think that was what he offered me, which is fine for now. I realized that if I have the hd receiver on the new tv then that means that the tivo has to be on another tv right?

just talked to a csr and here is what I was offered
6mo at 5.99 hd package then 10.99
hd receiver for $99
shipping for 14.95
interestingly enough the csr did not know what type of hd receiver it is? is that strange or what?
she also said that no one has to come out to change my dish b/c i have the triple lnb (i think that is the term).
does this all seem accurate?
I think I may call back and see if they can do the same package with a free receiver if i sign a 2 yr agreement
watcha guys think? anyone know what kind of receiver they are sending out?

aeneas3 said:
interestingly enough the csr did not know what type of hd receiver it is? is that strange or what?
she also said that no one has to come out to change my dish b/c i have the triple lnb (i think that is the term).

True on the dish.
99% chance the receiver is an H10.

I think that's as good a deal as you're going to get.
Most reps can't give more than $150 in credits at a time.
The retail price of the H10 is $200, so you will be unlikely to get down below $49 out of pocket. They might be willing to give you more programming credits, though.

H

aeneas3 said:
just talked to a csr and here is what I was offered
6mo at 5.99 hd package then 10.99
hd receiver for $99
shipping for 14.95
does this all seem accurate?
I think I may call back and see if they can do the same package with a free receiver if i sign a 2 yr agreement
watcha guys think? anyone know what kind of receiver they are sending out?

Call customer retention and they should be able to get your the free receiver with no problem whatsoever.

Alvarez said:
Call customer retention and they should be able to get your the free receiver with no problem whatsoever.
is there is a special # for retention?
1-800-600-8977 doesnt work anymore
1-800-824-9081 <- nevermind that works
couldnt get them to get it down more. best retention could do was $90 off over 6 months (total) in programming and the hd receiver for $249 - seems a lot. or same with hd dvr for 649 - 100 rebate - 90 programming over 6 months. still worse than previous offer.
emailing value electronics.
the one thing that concerns me about the direct tv offer I was given was, yes it seems great, but:
1. is there a way to hook up the tivo box to the same tv that will have the hd receiver?
2. if not, do I need a dual connection to work the box elsewhere b/c there is no dual connection in the other room?
3. the csr who offered me the deal did not know what receiver it came with...which seems fishy but I assume it is the h10 like suggested

ok so here is what i got now that we have the $200 rebate
hd receiver (likely h10) with OTA for $149
he will credit me $99
did NOT need a new dish b/c mine already gets HD
erased the shipping fee for me
free installation of 8 way multiswitch
free install of everything else
bottom line is this
OTA + hd receiver + tivo installed on main tv (wont record hd) + no rebate to worry about for $50.
the swap from h10 (if i get it) to h20 will be free I was told (even if small charge I dont care)
all this installed tuesday when I have off!
SWEET!
now i just need my xbox360 :)
thanks for all your help

No offense friend but if you want it done right, and hopefully "whoever" shows up to do the work might actually care about setting your system up correctly, be willing to pay for someone's true labor. If you nickel and dime it, thats what you might wind up getting. HDs gonna be $11 a month, any way you look at it. Don't be bashful about forkin' out a few dollars if the install is done correctly, you'll be happier in the long run.

Hi people, new here. I now have a HD TV and want to now get a HD receiver. I really need to know, if I hook up the HD receiver will I automatically get HD now that I have all the components? I was told by DTV that I HAVE to get the HD pkg that has nothing at all that I'm interested in, is this true? I need to know more about how I can receive HD programming and every thing that I need to do so.
Dave

Stonedtone420 said:
No offense friend but if you want it done right, and hopefully "whoever" shows up to do the work might actually care about setting your system up correctly, be willing to pay for someone's true labor. If you nickel and dime it, thats what you might wind up getting. HDs gonna be $11 a month, any way you look at it. Don't be bashful about forkin' out a few dollars if the install is done correctly, you'll be happier in the long run.

not nickel and diming at all, the d* person is coming to install. are u saying that the d* installers dont do a good job?
not sure where your comments are coming from, I didn't imply that a joe schmoe was coming to install. it is directtv. anyway, thanks for the help everyone. cant wait to enjoy my programming. i know it is $11/month...still confused about your post

I think stoned tone is definately stoned. The contractor that will do the work will get paid for the job the same fee. Directv eats the cost.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts