Please reply by conversation.

whitewolf8214

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
May 13, 2004
Space
If anybody has had both which one would you go with and why? I have Dish Network and am thinking of switching over to Direct TV.I would like to know also if anyone who has Direct TV has rain fade when the picture goes out because of heavy cloud cover or a heavy rain comes in?How often does your picture go out if at all? All replies would be welcome and thank You to all.I'm not satisfied with Dish Network.

I have both, Rain Fade about the same on both (if they are both peaked to strongest signals) E* has more HD choices and right now is the leader in HD, D* has Sunday Ticket and Sunday ticket in HD, SD they are pretty much the same with some channels having better PQ than others both are over compressing SD to death... actually apples and oranges, take your pick.

adrian777 said:
I'm not satisfied with Dish Network.

Then that is your answer. (above)

I have had both and I always choose DirecTV over Dish for numerous reasons, but here you are gonna find 50% for and against both and then it will turn into some sort of war. So you will be the best judge of what you want & need.

I think DirecTV is better prepared for the future. I wanted the NFL package. My experiences with Dish's customer service was always dismal; compared to 10 years an 1 billing issue with DirecTV.

You should try out the DirecTV "No Risk" promo and keep your Dish Network until you decide what is best for YOU.

PROMO

Any dish system can experience rain fade. Make sure your dish is optimally peaked. Even cable can be knocked out by many factors as well.

What you will find,is a company,D*,that won't charge you for 2 months service,
in advance.An excellent package,Total Choice,no BSOD!,and a receiver,D-11,that
clearly has better features,than a DP311.I can totally recommend D*,after being
with E*,for 4 years.

As far as the notion of fade during cloud cover, that's a big lie perpetrated by the cable companies and their myopic supporters. It takes a really bad rain storm to knock out the signal on a properly installed and peaked dish. Cloud cover by itself won't do it.

I am in Houston and we had a round of really huge storms here last week. I think it was out for maybe less than 10 minutes during the worst of it and the storm lasted for a lot longer.

I live in Chicago and we have been getting lots of rain lately. Still my Dish Network service never goes out. Its gone out twice that I can remember in the past six months but that was during hail and tornado warning weather. It should take a very severe thunderstorm to interfere with your service. Rain or clouds never causes my dish to go out.

I suggest you get your dish peaked and make sure there isn't anything in the way of signal.

I had both last year and the PQ was much better with D* on my 57" HDTV, and last night the storms were so bad that the signal coming from a local station fadded out and thats on Cable. I have cable to get my locals.

You change for one reason. NFL Ticket. If not interested, don't change.

Well if you like the premium channels Dish is way ahead there.They have Starz kids and family hbo comedy etc. Directv does not.This is why im switching to dish also they lied about sleuth channel!

I had both, D* for the last 8 years, E* for the last year. I compared both side by side for the past year, E* won the battle. The main reason was PQ and the best bang for my buck, I don't live my life around the NFL so ST is nothing to me, E* offers the best selection of HD and is going to launch more birds this year. The NEW E* boxes work well for me and I have had no problems with them. I asked the D* cust Retention rep to name me the 50 HD chan. that they were going to offer by the end of the year, he was clueless. D* is all about LIL right now, you will be able to watch your locals in HD Lite too, what a bargain! I will stick with E* and OTA.

DirecTv vs. Dish Network?

sheridan said:
As far as the notion of fade during cloud cover, that's a big lie perpetrated by the cable companies and their myopic supporters. It takes a really bad rain storm to knock out the signal on a properly installed and peaked dish. Cloud cover by itself won't do it.

I am in Houston and we had a round of really huge storms here last week. I think it was out for maybe less than 10 minutes during the worst of it and the storm lasted for a lot longer.

I'd echo what Sheridan says above. I also live in Houston and have had both E* and, now D* since 1997. During that period of time we've had some heavy, heavy semi-tropical rains here in Houston and I doubt that I've been without a satellite signal for more than 2 hours total during that entire time.

As for E* vs D*, both are better than most cable companies. D*'s equipment seems to be a little more "bug free", especially the Tivo based DVRs (in spite of their slow guides). Right now, E* has the lead in HD offerings and HD quality. When D* gets all their satellites up in 2007 the lead may switch back.

My personal opinion is that D* seems to appreciate you as a customer a lot more than E* based on my own experiences with both companies.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

I Have both
but dish network is a lot better with international and the sat are easy to find.
directv is good for sports and only sports
the problem is directv when you call tech for help they send some young guy(between 18 to 23years) for a tech to align the dish , setup,etc who comes in a car
the guy does a bad job installing the dish for directv, doesn't use a signal meter
I had to use a friend's signal meter (bird dog) and move the AT9 dish to a diffrent location of the house

Last edited:
Had all 3, D*, E*, and cable! Go with Dish Network! Had D* for a year and couldn't wait til the 12 months was up.....D* just plain out sucked w/ their channel packages, etc. -- Not a big sports fan here either and it seems them getting new channels (especially sucks they only offer like 5 HBO's, 3 MAX's, etc.) is not a priority to them.

Between cable and Dish, I'm still getting all the channels I want for hardly no $$ at all.

Go with Dish Network.

adrian777 said:
If anybody has had both which one would you go with and why? I have Dish Network and am thinking of switching over to Direct TV.I would like to know also if anyone who has Direct TV has rain fade when the picture goes out because of heavy cloud cover or a heavy rain comes in?How often does your picture go out if at all? All replies would be welcome and thank You to all.I'm not satisfied with Dish Network.
directv blows dish away, once you have more than 4 irds with dish they get bitchy and harrass you
plus say you had all tivos or tivolike dish equip. with direct there would be 1 tivo no matter how many tivos you have they must be directv tivos though
with dish each tivolike device will have its own fees $5.00 here and there adds up too quick with dish

get directv
my picture goes out at least once 4-6 times per year or more, im using 18' 99% on all transponders plus i have the phase 3 for hd
when my pic goes out i watch comcast
as long as you dont live in the rain forest get dtv
my opiions are biased towards direct due to the overall treatment i was given by dishnotwork

directv charges too much for a extra tv's connect,worsewith directv's so called DVR
with the 18'' dish here in arizona light rain causes the directv to show searching for sat to much
also same with the 5 LNB dish and h20 goes out when it's too windy
directv charge's too much for service call

with the dish network dish 500 no problems
dish network clearly wins with the international and better opts
More channels then directv
and i will throw away my directv H20 with the 5LNB dish, 95* dish, zinwell WB
play games on dish pro 311,check weather, Pay bills on the dish pro 311, you can't do that on the directv H20
stay with dish network

Last edited:
Loosing signal in light rain has nothing to do with the provider.
Your Dish needs peaked in !!!!!!!

adrian777 said:

If you want HD stay away from Directv. There is none besides ESPNHD1 and 2. Everything else is downrezzed crap.

you can't pay your bill with an Directv receiver
only dish network can
directv is only offering HD locals and no other channels to the lineup
i'm going back to dish network

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts