Direct way possible install

Thank you Scott. Guess since it is sat tech we all figured it would be over here. Guess it does kinda qualify as BB tech.

Scott Greczkowski said:
We DO have one, check out the Broadband forum ;)

:D :D Seems like we have had this discussion before. I swing by there on a daily basis but it seems to not get very much attention. Mainly cablewithaview posting info about new products or services.

I know we had a satellite internet specific forum when I first joined the site but I was not doing Driveway at that time and don't remember much about it.

Eric Goempel said:
I have been seriously thinking about Direct Way since they now reach 1mb DL speed with the pro package.

My questions are, how reliable is the service and what know software issues are there with it? Will all the messenger services work with it?

Wildblue I believe, starts a free installation special on the 1st of April. Maybe something to think about. I have the service here and enjoy it.

The Tate said:
:D :D Seems like we have had this discussion before. I swing by there on a daily basis but it seems to not get very much attention. Mainly cablewithaview posting info about new products or services.

I try, someone has to do it. with all of the satellite nuts in here someone has to put a little balance to it. :D

Just for everyone's information,

With Direcway I get 800+Kbps dl (during off-peak hours, say between 10P CST until about 11A to 12P, then between 12 and around 6PM, my downloads are about 500 to 600Kbps, and then from around 6 till around 10 it can get--though usually doesn't--as low as 100Kbps, typically 200Kbps to 350Kbps), with the home plan (that's right 700Kbps DL and 128 UL), and usually 128Kbps upload 24-7 (though it use to be worse and would range between 60Kbps and 95Kbps). My satellite is 89W, and my transponder is something in the 1000 range--been awhile since I paid attention--I live in Oklahoma. See http://testmy.net/tools/database/personal_stats_30d.php?user_name=tonyp56&m=04&d=01&Y=2006 Been a while since I ran speed test on testmy.net site, but you can see some test history.

BTW, if you'd like to read more info about Direcway, and read comments by other Direcway customers, testmy.net has a Direcway forum. With info, comments, complaints, etc... I'd recommend going there to read more about Direcway, to help you in your decision. They have forums for several broadband companies, along with speed test for upload and download speeds.

Anyways, my only two choices where I live is/was Direcway or Dial-up (WildBlue don't install here either), I must admit overall I am happy with it, though I wish the speeds were more constant, and I wish the FAP didn't exist--you hit it very easy, 175MB with home, or 350 with Pro, which is why I am thinking of upgrading to the Pro plan, it is only $10 more a month, but you get twice the FAP limit, and another 200Kbps--during off-peak hours that is, though I guess any time should be faster with the pro plan than with home. I've had my Direcway system since 12-8-05, haven't had any real problems since installed, haven't really had any loss of service--occasional loss during couple of storms. Over all, I give Direcway--I guess now HughesNet--a grade of C, it offers better speed--download and upload--than dial-up, however, it does have a latency problem--which isn't 2000ms, but I've never had an average speed much below 1000ms--no 500-600ms for me, using ping command within dos prompt using Windows XP, pinging www.google.com, www.hotmail.com, www.yahoo.com, www.mydirecway.com (isn't there anymore, haven't tried pinging new www.hughesnet.com site(s).

On install, if you don't supply the pole and all the work to install it--you buy the pole and concrete and install it in other words, it will cost you $125 to have your dish installed on a pole, and if your installer doesn't want to install on your roof--my installer said he didn't like installing on roofs, especially roofs of trailers, because of the weight and the possiblity of tearing up a customers roof and that they can't install on vinyl siding--then it will be an extra $125 (I never wanted it on my roof, but didn't know what size pole so I had to pay the installer $125 to have it put on a pole). Like another poster said, the pole is 2 3/8" OD (the pole my installer used is a chain-link fence 2 3/8" corner post, wasn't SCH 40, if you've ever saw those poles, you'd know they are thin walled), that's outside diameter. Plan on 2 feet below the ground and about 6 feet above, or 8-9 feet total length for your pole. The Direcway/Hughesnet dish both receives and transmits signals, and the bottom of the dish--LNB arm--should be higher than anyone that could get in the path of the signal, because of radiation from the transmitter.

Last edited:
Thank you for the info. My time and effort is worth paying the installer the 125 bucks. Plus my spinal injury. I have decided on the pro-plan. The FAP is crap!!! I can hit that in 1 week. Guess I will have to watch what I download. I probly hit that with dial-up. I usually have my PC on 24-7 downlodding something.

Maybe will have to keep dial-up as well.

Eric Goempel said:
Thank you for the info. My time and effort is worth paying the installer the 125 bucks. Plus my spinal injury. I have decided on the pro-plan. The FAP is crap!!! I can hit that in 1 week. Guess I will have to watch what I download. I probly hit that with dial-up. I usually have my PC on 24-7 downlodding something.

Maybe will have to keep dial-up as well.

Eric,

With the Pro-plan you will have 350 mb in a 4 hour period. Thats 87.5 mb per hour. Even if you hit that then you will go down to around 56k but your full speed will be restored within 8-12 hours.

http://www.copperhead.cc/fap.htm
check this page out for reference.

Have you got an install date yet?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts