DirecTivo Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

slinky

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 24, 2004
I need to be able to watch one program while recording another. If I get the Hughes SD TVR I can do this because of the second tuner...this much I follow. Here's the wrinkle.....I use a Windows Media Center computer on this TV set and would like to utilize only one satellite receiver.
I figure to be able to utilize the Media Center if at least one of the tuners inside of the DirecTive has an external output. Is this the case? If not, any other suggestions?
Thanks mucho!
Slinky

All DirecTiVo's have dual analog outputs (RCA) on the back. I have never tested driving the two output on two devices at the same time but I do think this WOULD work, but only via RCA. The unit only has one S-Video out.

I may be tempted to try this tonight. Thanks for the project! :cool:

I think that this project will really complement your past achievments.
If that brown nosing did'nt do the trick........Oh puleese...do try it!
If you do rig it up, wouldja see if you can control the Tivo on the first tuner with it's (Tivo) remote while also controlling the second tuner via the IR bug that another device (my Media Center PC) would use to control the output. As it stands right now, the IR bug that transmits from the Media Center PC to my Sat receiver works just fine.
Thanks again.

You DO know that there is only 1 decoder so there is only one output stream at a time(even if it does feed the S-video, component and coax all at the same time), don't you? IOW, you can't watch TUNER 1 on the TV while TUNER 2 is recorded to your MCPC. I'm not getting what you are trying to accomplish with the MCPC that the DTiVo isn't already doing - unless you are trying to stream/share/etc.

>>You DO know that there is only 1 decoder so there is only one output stream at a time(even if it does feed the S-video, component and coax all at the same time), <<

I'm new to this stuff and so,no, I have no idea about the decoder. I don't know what the back of the unit looks like either as far as outputs. But the above posts list S-video. RCA and coax. Forgive my lack of knowledge on the subject and please bear with me.....let me make sure that i get this straight......
The DirectTivo unit will allow me to record one channel on the DirecTivo and simultaneously output a different channel to my TV set. Why then, can"t that second channel go into my Media Center PC which can then allow me to watch it as "live TV" or capture it with it's own PVR?

>>I'm not getting what you are trying to accomplish with the MCPC that the DTiVo isn't already doing - unless you are trying to stream/share/etc.<<

I've already got more content on the MCPC 250 GB HDD than the DTV can hold. In addition to that, the MCPC can act as a media hub...I'll be able to access all my photos and music. The DirectTivo duplicates only the PVR function but allows me to record one channel while viewing another due to the 2 tuner set-up. This is something that the MCPC cannot do. Besides, The D-Tivo is $99.00, only $50.00 more than a plain satelite reciever. Why not get another PVR for the $50.00? ......As long as I can output the second signal to my MCPC instead of directly to a TV set that is.

So you're looking for a solution that lets you output two different channels at the same time, one to your TV and one to your PC, correct?

Neutron said:
So you're looking for a solution that lets you output two different channels at the same time, one to your TV and one to your PC, correct?

Actually, I was thinking .....
one to the DTivo and one to my MCPC which could then either record it or allow me to view it.

Gotcha, I think. :) Forgive me if I go over stuff that you've already heard but I'm going to regurgitate some DTiVo basics.

The DTiVo has 2 tuners. Those two tuners are able to record the digital stream sent down from the satellite. At that point you can (1) watch Tuner 1's content, (2) watch Tuner 2's content, or (3) watch something else previously recorded to the hard drive. So, what you watch can come from any of these 3 sources. However, you can only watch ONE of those sources at a time and the reason is because the DTiVo only has one decoder, which is the hardware that turns the satellite's digital stream into an analog stream which can be displayed on your TV. Your MCPC also has a decoder and chances are it also only has one (unless you've added a 2nd video card w/TV out).

A DTiVo does not have an encoder, which is what you have on your MCPC. The encoder takes an analog signal and coverts it to digital, which can then be stored on a hard drive. Encoding is pretty CPU intensive, depending on the level of compression you go after. More compression = smaller size + more quality loss. The good news for DTivo is that DirecTVs big-buck computers handle the encoding so we get smaller files with less quality loss. Also, the DTiVos are cheaper to make and sell because that expensive piece of encoder hardware can be left out.

Are you with me so far?

Now, in your earlier post, you asked about controlling one Tuner for the TiVo and one Tuner for your MCPC. Generally, we TiVo-ers don't pay any attention to which Tuner is doing what. Let's say that I have a Season Pass timer set to record "The Daily Show" which comes on every night at 10 PM and I also like to watch a "Friends" rerun at 9:30 and then the evening news at 10 PM but I watch both of these in real time. It is not necessary for me to specify which Tuner will record "The Daily Show" as the DTiVo will automatically grab the free tuner (the one that is not outputting to the decoder).

So, let's say you have your MCPC set up to record (and archive) "Yes, Dear" and you have a TiVo Season Pass for "Monster Garage," which comes on at the same time. Your MCPC will fire the IR signal to the DTiVo to change over to whatever channel it needs and, because the DTiVo thinks that it is you with a remote sending those directions, that channel will be output to the decoder. The DTiVo will see that you also want to record "Monster Garage" so it will choose the unused tuner to change to that channel and output it to the internal hard drive. At no time do we TiVo-ers say, "Okay, Tuner 1 needs to go the TV and Tuner 2 needs to have a timer to record "Monster Garage"."

Does this help?

slinky said:
Actually, I was thinking .....
one to the DTivo and one to my MCPC which could then either record it or allow me to view it.

To make a long story short, using a DTiVo as your receiver will accomplish this. :yes

Doncha hate it when people like me write those long answers when a simple one would do. :rolleyes:

Hey Slinky,
If you don't mind my hijacking your thread, how do you like the MCPC? I was with DishNetwork until the end of last year, waiting for the 522 (2 tuners, 2 outputs) to be released to us unwashed masses because I really wanted a "household media server" as a central point for my recordings and entertainment. Before jumping to DirecTV, I considered a MCPC with dual cards to record from both of my receivers and then output to the TVs. After looking at prices, I settled on 2 DTiVos and a 3rd Hughes receiver because after selling my Dish equipment I am in the black for the D* equipment, even after upgrading the hard drives. My only lament is that I have to set up everything twice if I want it available in both my den and my bedroom (the 2 places we watch TV) and this would not happen with a "media server," aka MCPC or 522.

Err, so after all that, I ask again, how do you like it? :D

Run another receiver to the coax input of the Tivo and you can use your media center to record when Tivo is in standby mode. Tivo can record to both it's tuners and pass through the feed from the aux. coax. input.

beejaycee said:
Hey Slinky,
If you don't mind my hijacking your thread, how do you like the MCPC? I was with DishNetwork until the end of last year, waiting for the 522 (2 tuners, 2 outputs) to be released to us unwashed masses because I really wanted a "household media server" as a central point for my recordings and entertainment. Before jumping to DirecTV, I considered a MCPC with dual cards to record from both of my receivers and then output to the TVs. After looking at prices, I settled on 2 DTiVos and a 3rd Hughes receiver because after selling my Dish equipment I am in the black for the D* equipment, even after upgrading the hard drives. My only lament is that I have to set up everything twice if I want it available in both my den and my bedroom (the 2 places we watch TV) and this would not happen with a "media server," aka MCPC or 522.

Err, so after all that, I ask again, how do you like it? :D

Well,
There is good to report and bad.
The interface is more robust and useful than my replayTV and (I assume) Tivo. 2 negatives right up front...
1.MCPC is based on TV Tuner technology and therefore will not give signal quality quite as good as Replay/Tivo. I didn't find it a problem. Then again I didn't get a widescreen DLP yet.
2.It's a computer and it freezes. apparently 512mb is not quite enough RAM. Maybe I'll upgrade to 1Gb.
I'll add a third problem here. Gateway tech support has no idea that this unit exists. They work from a database of answers, when you describe....lets say a display icon that goes in and out and where it is you have to remind them that this is not a tower, it looks like an AV receiver. Tech support on my Gateway desktop is far more useful. I have repeatedly asked for an upper level customer service boss to contact me. I think that the upper level guys would like to know that there is a problem. Maybe I'll get one of the PC journalist consumer advocate columnists to put my problems in print.
Bottom line is that a PC based media hub is a more robust solution but Replay and Tivo have more reliable products. Ted, are you listening?
Check out www.thegreenbutton.com for a good MCPC forum.

beejaycee said:
To make a long story short, using a DTiVo as your receiver will accomplish this. :yes

Doncha hate it when people like me write those long answers when a simple one would do. :rolleyes:

Don't opologize!!
I nneded the short answer but appreciated and pretty much followed the long answer. Pretty much I say bc i still wasn't sure about the outcome until you posted "to make a long story short......:

Thanks much everyone for all the help.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts