DirecTiVo!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

stellar832000

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 3, 2005
San Antonio
I have a question, I currently have three Directv DVR's with TiVo and I am considering getting rid of my home phone line, does anyone know how this would work or if it is even possible

Once the TiVo is activated it will work without a phone line but you will get a nag screen to make a phone call. Also if there is a software download it will need to make a phone call to activate the new software.

yep, phone line is only needed for initial activation. you will just get a little message to make a daily call.

One of my Tivo's was saying it needed to make a daily call but it said the line was busy when it wasn't. After 31 days the Tivo would not show any channel until a call was made. I rebooted the Tivo and then had to call DirecTV to get the signal back on again so I could use the Tivo again. I don't know if there was something else going on with my Tivo that it wanted to call home, but after a period of time the Tivo shutdown because it couldn't make the call.

I believe the new R15 DVR does not use a phone line, however.

Chris

CRendall said:
One of my Tivo's was saying it needed to make a daily call but it said the line was busy when it wasn't. After 31 days the Tivo would not show any channel until a call was made. I rebooted the Tivo and then had to call DirecTV to get the signal back on again so I could use the Tivo again. I don't know if there was something else going on with my Tivo that it wanted to call home, but after a period of time the Tivo shutdown because it couldn't make the call.

I believe the new R15 DVR does not use a phone line, however.

Chris

It must have been a strange coincidence, becuase many people have gone a couple of years or more without a phone line with no interruptions.

BigTVG said:
It must have been a strange coincidence, becuase many people have gone a couple of years or more without a phone line with no interruptions.
True, but most of those have fakecall.tcl running, which requires the unit is hacked. I ran a DTiVo in my master bedroom for over a year without fakecall.tcl and without a phone line though.

stellar832000 said:
I have a question, I currently have three Directv DVR's with TiVo and I am considering getting rid of my home phone line, does anyone know how this would work or if it is even possible

Vonage or other VOIP is usually OK for PPV calls, since they are made at a low baud rate. If you have a PC nearby running Windows you can do the daily calls via PPP-over-serial using the serial jack on the back. I once had two DTV DVR's doing it, and still have one.

I don't know if this is a stupid question, but is there a way to plug your DirecTIVO to a laptop and then use your cellphone (also connected to your laptop) to make the initial call?

zalarrulz said:
I don't know if this is a stupid question, but is there a way to plug your DirecTIVO to a laptop and then use your cellphone (also connected to your laptop) to make the initial call?

Yes, and no, respectively.

What kind of speed do you get on your laptop using your cellphone? What company is your cell phone service through?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)