DirectTV came to my house, tried to get me to switch

Dvlos said:
Where was this High Res Starz channel announcement?

I don't have a direct link but I am sure you can find one in the AVSforum archives. Starz ended up giving up on this idea, anyway.

r.jones1116 said:
Why are some people adamant that Voom fails. They aren't perfect but they're ahead of their competition. They offer the most HD anywhere in the world. Can't you be happy with that. DON"T HATE THE PLAYER, HATE THE GAME.

I am actually a D* sub who wants to see Voom do really well.

r.jones1116 said:
Why are some people adamant that Voom fails. They aren't perfect but they're ahead of their competition. They offer the most HD anywhere in the world. Can't you be happy with that. DON"T HATE THE PLAYER, HATE THE GAME.

They hate anyone thinking, or feeling that the another service could POSSIBLY be better in any way shape or form to the tons of cash they are already throwing at their service.

You got a guy on AVS who paid $1,400 for a TV, he says he loves D* to DEATH, because of HD Tivo ($1,000 almost as much as his damn TV!), plus other costs, and programming costs... what if he was the sucker (not us) for forking over so much money for half the HD content available on a different provider? Or for spending so much hard earned green on a provider that's cutting resolution, and bandwidth to unprecedented (PBS style) levels.

The mentality is "I'm not dumb, therefore I must find problems with your choices so I can justify myself". Hence all the negativity from people on this and AVS forums.. many of whom don't have Voom, seen Voom, tried Voom yet rehash other people's comments. Voom has its bad points but I've seen them fix several of them, and I know they are committed to making some money so I feel that the other problems will be solved around the corner (namely DVR and Bandwidth).

he said, adding: "We're certainly not going to encourage anybody to launch us in high res if they want to watch us in high def."

He should talk to D* now... They'd love Starz Hi Res.. what a bonehead idea.

I like how Starz listed their channel should be delivered at 17.3 mbps bandwidth.. HD for Telecine spec... now if only DBS can oblige.

r.jones1116 said:

While VOOM is not practical for me, I hope VOOM succeeds! I admire what they set out to do, and hope they continue to do it for some time to come, I just don't see that happening!

I've stated on this forum before about my bad impressions of VOOM and I was upset by them as I didn't have much hope for them after that. However, after VOOM became so big on SG.us and reading (mainly) Sean's posts about VOOM correcting issues with their receiver with software upgrades and the like, VOOM adding more non-exclusive channels and I started being more impressed by VOOM, but as much as I'm impressed with their goals, I just don't see it happening.

The thing thing is (and I'm not saying all) DirecTV customers are actually defending their own right to hang in there with DirecTV. VOOM isn't practical for me as I live with two other people who have no interest in HD, and MOST of their viewing involves channels that aren't currently available on VOOM. The same goes for me, now that I have CBS-HD via DirecTV, I watch a lot more HD programming on that than I did the whole HD Package, and I wouldn't be able to receive CBS-HD via VOOM, and I'm hoping that ABC-HD is added to DirecTV so that I will be able to watch more HD there too. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd love for all channels to be HD, and all the SD channels to go away, and if VOOM had all the channels with all the programming I watched and they could give me in the same price range we have now, I would switch to VOOM in a heartbeat, but if I did I'd lose several HD channels that I cared about, HDNet, CBS-HD E&W, ABC-HD E&W (at least I hope they add it) and the only HD channels that I would gain that I'm somewhat interested in is TNT-HD (which doesn't show that much HD) and Starz-HD, and I wouldn't gain ANY SD channels with VOOM, but I'd lose SEVERAL of the most watched channels in my house. In the next few years, I suspect that more and more of my viewing habits will be HD, but it's still a ways off and so while I'd like DirecTV to add more HD and increase their resolution, I feel that I can wait while DirecTV goes through their HD "growing pains". Other people have different viewing habits, and so VOOM might be right for them and I'm glad that there is a provider out there that offers that to them, and hope VOOM continues to do well!

While I'm not well off enough to go out and do whatever I wish to do, after serious agrivation in the last couples of years at Pegasus, and knowing that Dish offered the SuperStations and their SuperDISH was going to offer up to 50 HD channels and locals in 150 markets, I was planning on switching to Dish before I realized that even though my locals aren't up on DirecTV yet (and I still don't know when they will be) and I have no access to WB! or UPN programming and DirecTV has yet to offer 50 HD channels (but then Dish hasn't either), I decided to stay with DirecTV because I was happy with my service. Like Sean, I go to the provider that better suits my needs.

~Alan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts