DirectTV HDTV and EDTV receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bobpenn

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 10, 2005
I just ordered the HDTV package from D* with the HD Tivo. I have a 42" EDTV plasma which has DVI inputs and can take 720p and 1080i inputs. I assume it changes all HDTV inputs into 480p, the maximum resolution of my plasma TV. Question: did I do something stupid? I assume that I CAN do this technically ... but will it look anything like HDTV? From what I have read, from a distance of 8' or greater, EDTV and HDTV look very close to one another.

Anyone have an EDTV and DirectTV's HDTV? Thanks.

So the EDTV will look pretty good? Not as good as HDTV.

BTW, I plan to get a new Samsung DLP HDTV with the new 1080p chip when it comes out next month. So this EDTV is a short term situation, anyway.

It will still be an improvement from what you got now, yes.

Wow a 1080p eh? Well I guess you're making up for the edtv with a big upgrade like that...

It WILL be an improvement, if only because SD channels are so horribly compressed. Watching an HD feed even at half-resolution with your TV should still look a lot better. And you'll get much better audio quality along with 5.1 surround on some programs if you're using digital output to a decent home theater system.

My TV doesn't have a HD receiver in it. I am getting the Direct TV HD Tivo plus an antenna so I will be able to check the HD soon enough. I also understand that some of the HDs are covered via DirectTV for O&Os like in L.A.

My understanding of the DirectTV local HD feeds is that it's only one of the digital channels per network. So if the local NBC has four digital feeds, 4.1 ..4.4, then only perhaps 4.1 is broadcast via satellite via DirectTV. The remainder can only be seen via an OTA antenna?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts