Directtv in Mexico

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bacalar G

Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
California, Bay Area
Hello everyone, I'm fairly new to the forum. I'm moving to Mx in Jan about 3hrs south by car of Cancun. I wish to take my HD-DVR. What dish do you think would work down there as I may be a little out of D'S footprint.

:welcome

I am not a dish expert by any means but I've installed several. I cant imagine it wouldn't work down there. Your elevation will be higher than a footprint in lets say Arizona but I would guess it would work. Folks in Canada get Directv signals. Now you lose spotbeams but national should work.

What dish do you think would work down there as I may be a little out of D'S footprint.
I believe that the dish needs to be 1m+.

You'll also need to figure out how to hide the fact that you're in Mexico from D* as they are not allowed to send US programming to Mexico. IIRC, they aren't allowed to send programming to Mexico at all as they turned over their rights to Sky Mexico.

As Brewer4 points out, you will not have access to any of the MPEG4 content.

Thank you. It sounds like I will need a good size dish and keep my subscription to directtv up here in the states. I will need Direcrtway for internet access which I hope to hook up to a Mediapc and run it all to my projector. Is anyone using a mediapc now.

The likelihood is yes you will not be able to get the lionshare of MPEG4 HD. All current HD locals with the exception of MPEG2 New York is MPEG4 spotbeam. Meaning you can only get the channels within the range of the DMA and slightly beyond. We are not sure what is going to be spotbeamed versus national CONUS but I would gather the 5 LNB dish will be somewhat limited by your location and your DECLARED service address.

I will need Direcrtway for internet access which I hope to hook up to a Mediapc and run it all to my projector. Is anyone using a mediapc now.
Direcway changed their name to HughesNet. You'll actually have to go through HNS de Mexico. This is yet another situation where you can't take US service to Mexico. You cannot self-install a two-way satellite dish.

Media Pee Cees don't work with DIRECTV at this time.

Does losing spotbeams mean losing HD content? If that's the case would a really large dish, like the big ugly dish receive HD programs down there?
The beamwidth of Ka is such that there probably wouldn't even be a hint of a signal that far South.

please double check on the legalities of directv in mexico. i know the signal is illegal in canada but i seem to recall something on the website about directv latin america....just don't remember what area that covered.

I wonder about the signal because I have seen Directtv in Playa del Carmen and as for south as Belize city in Belize. Not HD though. IF I could get a signal I wonder if I could get the MPEG2 HD or is that also so limited that it's just impossible. The Hughesway intermet sat sounds good. I guess if worse comes to worse I could download movies and maybe get tv through the internet. Sure would miss the Sunday Ticket though.

bacalar, please visit: DIRECTV. its the website for latin america, which from the map, appears to include mexico. you might be able to get your questions answered here or at least, find a contact to direct your questions too!

I wonder about the signal because I have seen Directtv in Playa del Carmen and as for south as Belize city in Belize. Not HD though. IF I could get a signal I wonder if I could get the MPEG2 HD or is that also so limited that it's just impossible. The Hughesway intermet sat sounds good. I guess if worse comes to worse I could download movies and maybe get tv through the internet. Sure would miss the Sunday Ticket though.

You could also check into a slingbox at Sling Media .Good Luck!:hatsoff:

bacalar, please visit: DIRECTV. its the website for latin america, which from the map, appears to include mexico. you might be able to get your questions answered here or at least, find a contact to direct your questions too!
DIRECTV Mexico sold out to Sky Mexico (News Corp.) a while back, so DIRECTV is not allowed to deliver content to Mexico.

then why do they still have it posted on their website?
It is a very long story and really tough to track down.

October 2004: DIRECTV Mexico sells out to Sky Mexico but gets a share of the competition by acquiring News Corp. shares of Televisa.
Somewhere along the line, Sky Mexico and Televisa get together
August 2006: DIRECTV buys minority shares of Sky Mexico from News Corp. and Liberty Media for a total of 41%.

While the name is DIRECTV Latin America, it is kind of a joint venture between DIRECTV, Globo (Brazil), Televisa (Mexico) and Sky Mexico (Mexico).

What DIRECTV does or doesn't do doesn't necessarily have any bearing on what happens at DIRECTV Latin America. D*LA is about 1/4 the size of D*.

Note that this was an attempt at bringing some really messy reporting together. There may be some huge errors in fact and/or timing.

Directv in MExico

Last time I heard, there was guy just south of matamoros and he lost over half of his dtv transponders because it is illegal for dtv to sell in mexico. There is agood chanve you will only have a few channels or none, If you were closer to the border you would probably be ok. Try it and see. I though E* locals were all on spotbeams, but I took my E* with to charlotte for the coca cola 600 nascar race and I had all my Chicago Locals off E* all they way down there!!!

then somebody, please explain this.....i went to the directv latin america website on wednesday. while i don't speak spanish, i understand maps. and on the map, it sure looked to me like mexico was included. of course, i couldn't verify this because of the spanish!

I can tell you from experience that the Directv signals stop cold in comparison to dish's on the border. If you are in the South of mexico you will likely need a *HUGE* dish. Where I am, a 12 footer still doesnt bring it all in or keep what it does bring in throughout the entire day.

Anyone have any experience in Monterrey specifically? Its approximately 2 hours inside mexico from the Laredo, TX border. Any websites with footprint maps of all the sats?

Status
Please reply by conversation.