DirectTV or Dish??

vurbano said:
Not for HD picture quality it aint.

Is the HD pic qual really better on Dish? I've read some really good reviews of several Direct Hd receivers, but never any dish reviews.

DirectTV HD looks fine on certains channels, less so on other.

HDNET is great. HDNET Movies, not great.

Dish is the way to go

Dish just bought more capacity.

One telling note about Dish is that they sell HDTV packages. It seems that they are trying to get HD into more homes. I suspect that they are going to use this new capacity for mor HD.

A PREDICTION:
(and i've been pretty good so far)

Echostar enters deal with Cablevision to Carry Voom Channels (exclusively).

What we may see is a comprimise between the "VOOM is dead" camp and the "Voom will make it". We're not sure that Echostar is done spending money here yet. This would have to be worked out so that it ends up being a real sweet deal for e*, but you could see some type of agreement between e* and cablevison (or C. Dolan) for e* to carry a scaled down version of Voom's channels. Content is not expensive. This would keep Voom and Charles Dolan's vision alive, while providing exclusive HD content that D* could not offer.

The catch - This deal must be done soon. The channels must be kept up and running, and sorry to dissappoint you, but as SD channels (for now). They could be used to market dish and their pending capacity for HD with their new satellite.

Forgive me for asking a dumb question, but could someone please explain which satellite services are represented by e* and D*?

I'm confused as to which is Dish Network and which is DirecTv.

Thanks

trm17118 said:
Forgive me for asking a dumb question, but could someone please explain which satellite services are represented by e* and D*?

I'm confused as to which is Dish Network and which is DirecTv.

Thanks
D* = DirectTV
E* = Echostar (Dishnetwork)

personally I dont plan on going with either one for now.... D* has stupid pricing and E* has crap equipment (actually made voom's equipment look good)

And if they do go exclusive on the voom 21 channels I really hope they compress the number of channels a little bit more.... I think they have content enough for 10-15 channels and use the rest of the TP space for more HD networks (Uni-HD, NBC/ABC/FOX/UPN/WB, etc)

jagouar said:
personally I dont plan on going with either one for now.... D* has stupid pricing and E* has crap equipment (actually made voom's equipment look good)

What E* equipment did you have?
My first HD equipment from them was the 6000 which was a POS but the 811 is hundred times better, no lock-ups, no losing OTA stations, program guide goes for a few days ( vs. the 6000 which I think was good for about 4 hrs. for the guide), quick channel changes, timers always works for recording, etc.
I have had the 811 since it came out and I have no regrets about the $149.00 dollars I paid for it.

I paid 400 for the 600 when it first came out.... I will never buy dish equipment again no matter how good they get it.... voom box is 100x better than that pos.

I also hate the fact they they still havent fixed the SD/HD mode... It REALLY sucks for those with standalone replayTV/tivo.

Of course same goes for D*, I will NEVER buy equipment again..... The 6000 taught me alot.

jagouar said:
I paid 400 for the 600 when it first came out.... I will never buy dish equipment again no matter how good they get it.... voom box is 100x better than that pos.

I also hate the fact they they still havent fixed the SD/HD mode... It REALLY sucks for those with standalone replayTV/tivo.

Of course same goes for D*, I will NEVER buy equipment again..... The 6000 taught me alot.

You don't have to buy E* equipment anymore, they lease.
And like I said, the 6000 was crap, the 811 is gold compared to it.
The 811 also outputs sd/hd at the same time, no more switching between the two (S-Video/Component and now DVI on the 811 instead of RGB on the 6000).

I thought it did have the HD/SD button still? If not thats great to know, Maybe the first versions did because I remember seeing pictures of it and it had the HD/SD button.

I can't remember if there is a button there ( I'm at work ) but the light there is for if its on Satellite ( Green-top ) or OTA ( yellow-bottom ) while the lights before were if in HD or SD if I remember correctly.
Now, while the 811 does output SD/HD at the same time, the 921 does not for anyone that wishes to know.
Last, the new DVR (942) is supposed to be for lease, when/if it comes out on time-Feb./05, Charlie said so himself on the last chat, but no other terms announced.

Well the PVR looked interesting at CES.... Maybe when they get it out (feb, thats a long ways out though) Ill look at dish.

I think Im going to cable for the next few months.... D* and E* both dont have anything compelling to offer me right now unlike cable (10/month new motorola dvr)

jagouar said:
Well the PVR looked interesting at CES.... Maybe when they get it out (feb, thats a long ways out though) Ill look at dish.

Hope your kidding, that's just next month, and on Wednesday, Charlie is supposed to say whats going on with Voom in a dealers chat.

i thought it was next feb? i guess that would make sense though since they dropped the price on the curent one. I alwyas thought the dish pvr was a year away still.

BTW are there any articles on it yet? I would like to read more specifics about it.

Just walk over to the E* forum.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)