DirectTV Slim Line Dish as Wifi Antenna

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dhcp192

Original poster
Jun 27, 2012
Indiana
Hi guys. I'm looking to build a wifi antenna out of a satellite dish. I have a DirectTV Slim Line dish, I didn't see a model number on it. My question for you satellite guys, is it possible to amplify the output signal of the dish itself? I've seen numerous video's on youtube, but none that mention a way to amplify the dish's output/range. I'm very familiar with RF and 802.11, however I'm wondering if I can build this antenna and establish a link a few miles away.

I know LOS will probably play a role and that won't be a problem as I'm just doing this for testing purposes. If this is possible what dish/satellite amp would I need to use and is there a better dish/satellite to use for something like this?

I know this is more of a IT question, but I figure why not ask the guys who deal with dish/satellite the most.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I actually see this often. We have a guy that sells wifi to people out in the sticks and he is using an 18 inch dish with some form of amplifier in the end where the LNB goes. Not sure how it works except for I'm seeing it more and more them. If I can find some details on it I'll let you know

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts