DIRECTV 11 - Launch now reported as March 9th - Update: Delivered to SeaLaunch (1/26)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 13, 2005
daytona beach
just received confirmation from paula korn, director of communications, for sea launch that directv's launch has been pushed back to first quarter 2008. this is because the launch of Thuraya 3 has been moved to november.

Thurya 3 was due to launch this month with DIRECTV 11's launch sked for late december, early january. i will post more info when i have it!

UPDATE Jan 26, 2008:
From Moonman (Post 173):

Boeing delivers Direct11 to Sealaunch
Boeing: Boeing Delivers Newest DIRECTV Satellite to Sea Launch Home Port

Boeing Delivers Newest DIRECTV Satellite to Sea Launch Home Port
ST. LOUIS, Jan. 29, 2008 -- The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA] today announced the delivery of DIRECTV 11, the second of three new Boeing-built satellites for DIRECTV, Inc., to the Sea Launch Home Port in Long Beach, Calif. The satellite is scheduled to launch on a Sea Launch Zenit-3SL rocket in March from the equatorial launch site in the Pacific Ocean. Boeing delivered the satellite on Jan. 26.

"The successful completion and delivery of DIRECTV 11 underscores Boeing's commitment to program execution," said Craig Cooning, vice president and acting general manager of Boeing Space and Intelligence Systems. "This is the ninth Boeing-built DIRECTV satellite, and once again we've convened the best-of-industry to deliver this highly capable DIRECTV 11 satellite."

DIRECTV 11 is a 702-model satellite with on-board technology that will enable DIRECTV to continue to expand its industry-leading lineup of quality high-definition television (HDTV) programming. DIRECTV 11, combined with the DIRECTV 10 satellite launched last year, will provide DIRECTV with the capacity for 150 national HD channels and 1,500 local channels.

"Advanced satellites like DIRECTV 11 exemplify the superior technology that DIRECTV employs to deliver an unparalleled TV experience for its more than 16.6 million customers," said Romulo Pontual, DIRECTV's chief technology officer. "We are looking forward to the launch that will further strengthen DIRECTV's position as the leader in HD."

Continuing a successful 14-year relationship, Boeing satellites help expand DIRECTV's market by providing cutting-edge technology that began with the launch of DIRECTV 1. DIRECTV 11 continues that tradition and will provide direct-to-home broadcasting power to bring the brilliance of satellite-delivered HDTV into millions of households.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's only a 2 week launch delay until early January - and since Echostar 11 is the third launch scheduled (after D11) how does that make a difference for you DISH guys? Yours won't fly until AFTER D11.

Two questions:

1. Wasn't this delay already announced in July?

2. As far as the "good for DISH" posts; they too got bumped back as I read due to a failure for the company that was to launch their next bird.

2. As far as the "good for DISH" posts; they too got bumped back as I read due to a failure for the company that was to launch their next bird.
Echostar 11 gets dragged out by any delays in DIRECTV 11. The satellite that DISH is planning on leasing is being held up by a September Proton failure and it looks like that may not happen this calendar year either.

The 'This is Good For DISH' posts are by whiners. It is only good in their eyes because they feel that it is the only way they can keep up with or catch the momentum now held by DirecTV.

There can be no other interpretation as to why a delay of DIRECTV-11 would be 'GOOD FOR DISH'.

Echostar 11 gets dragged out by any delays in DIRECTV 11. The satellite that DISH is planning on leasing is being held up by a September Proton failure and it looks like that may not happen this calendar year either.

So you are saying that DISH is under a "double whammy" right now?

Well Echostar 11 can't launch much before March-Arpil 2008 - that would give it a May-June light up date - best case.

AMC-14 is an even larger unknown at this time. There is a stop on all Proton Launches right now - and for a couple of reasons. First, the review board investigating the JSAT accident just completed its investigation - they now have to have review and meetings in order to get the program back on track.

Second, they are getting major grief for the local authorities due to the dangerous pieces of debris that fell from the aborted launch. The fuel is very hazardous, and they have been threatening to stop all future launches. It is still a bit uncertain how this will play out. AMC-14 was supposed to fly in December - that seems very.very unlikely at this moment - I haven't even heard a whisper as to when they even 'optimistically' think they can get it off of the ground.

Two questions:

1. Wasn't this delay already announced in July?

The first one was announced a while ago, even before July, when the launch pad blew up. At first, they said this would delay it until 1Q of next year. Then it was then announced that it would occur in December.

Yep thats about what I remember too yet I though they said they would push to get it launched by Dec 07. (understanding that 1Q 2008 was the more likely scenario).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts