Directv 15 - FCC Application to Launch

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Where did you learn this?DIRECTV announce a while back that DIRECTV 15 is slated to launch in the "first half of 2015". At the same time, they said that DIRECTV 14's launch was planned for Q4 2014.

I'm suspicious of whether what you heard was up-to-date.

You may be shocked to learn that SSL builds their birds in Palo Alto, California.
Ill PM you.

Where did you learn this?DIRECTV announce a while back that DIRECTV 15 is slated to launch in the "first half of 2015". At the same time, they said that DIRECTV 14's launch was planned for Q4 2014.

I'm suspicious of whether what you heard was up-to-date.

You may be shocked to learn that SSL builds their birds in Palo Alto, California.

Yea your right, It was the where it is getting launched at is in french Guianna. I knew there was a french somewhere! :D

I know this a dumb question. Unless D* is obtaining more frequencies to broadcast on..how is a new satellite going to increase additional bandwidth? Will it be loaded with spot beams to move locals from CONUS to spots?

Virtually all locals are on spot beams already. Only NYC and LA are on CONUS. Check your signal strengths. See where the CONUS hd sats have zeros? That's where they will put the additional channels.

I know this a dumb question. Unless D* is obtaining more frequencies to broadcast on..how is a new satellite going to increase additional bandwidth? Will it be loaded with spot beams to move locals from CONUS to spots?

They cannot put CONUS on frequencies they are already using for spot beams. Now if there are unused spot beam frequencies that are spot only, they could use them for CONUS with this new satellite.

They cannot put CONUS on frequencies they are already using for spot beams. Now if there are unused spot beam frequencies that are spot only, they could use them for CONUS with this new satellite.

The newer bird has smaller spot beams (more efficient use) allowing Directv to use less frequency's for spot beams and the freed up frequency's gives more for CONUS HD. But it also has reverse band wich nets additional bandwidth, but that wont happen for a while. In a sense, directv can recycle the frequency's more often and only need (example) 5 frequency's for spots versus 9.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts