Directv $200 Rebate for Voom Customers

GLBorchert

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2005
This may not be news to anyone on this forum, but I wasn't sure so thought I'd share the information.

I'm a Voom user who signed up for Directv last night. When I did I found out that people switching from Voom to Directv are eligible for a $200 rebate.

The good thing is that you can pick your hardware, with or without DVR. I bought their non-DVR unit for $299 so ended up with a net equipment cost of about $100 for the switch.

The rebate form is available online, but since I'm a new user this forum wouldn't let me post the URL. If you go to directv on the web, just add forwardslash voom to the URL and you'd get to the rebate form.

A question you might want to ask is if there will be a "2nd rebate" when they switch over to mpeg4 and the receiver no longer works. There are a lot of HD Directvs that I know of that are really worried about there equipment investment 2-3 HD receiver, HD tivo, etc.) being worth nothing in a year (well they would still work for OTA)...of course they take comfort in teasing me that voom only has the best HD conect til April 30th. I hope they do the right thing and replace everybodies' receivers, but a company's job is to make a profit (well unless you're a non profit company I guess)

Directv

GLBorchert said:
This may not be news to anyone on this forum, but I wasn't sure so thought I'd share the information.

I'm a Voom user who signed up for Directv last night. When I did I found out that people switching from Voom to Directv are eligible for a $200 rebate. /QUOTE]

That sounds like a good deal. Directv offered me $250 off of their HDDVR (actually you pay the full price but then you receive a $250 credit for their programing) and an additional $200 credit to stay with them (and not jump to Voom). I jumped anyway to Voom (oh well I got a month and a half of HD TV the likes of which Directv does not have). Directv retention department also made it clear that I would not be considered a new customer if I go back to them. I said "fine I will go to another provider if the need arises" ( I guess it has arisen). Another thing that made me cancel my order for Directv's HDDVR and to leave them is the fact that it will be obselete in a few months (with the advent of MPEG-4 usage) and the fact that they have such an uncompelling HD lineup at present. So they will have to replace that $299 receiver anyway (hopefully at no charge but knowing them they will add at least one year to your contract to do so).

The reason I didn't buy their DVR unit or something 3rd party is that I expect that none of their current receivers will work when they switch to mpeg4. Chances are that they'll offer some kind of break on the new equipment when that system is in place.

Also, so you know, I'm not a big Directv fan or anything like that. I've had Dishnetwork since 1997, and added Voom for myself. You know, Dishnetwork for the kids and Voom for me. I've been fairly pleased with Dishnetwork over the years, until I bought a nice HDTV. I could have just bought another Dishnetwork HD receiver and simplified my life. But, I've been disappointed in Dishnetwork's HD offerings, and am encouraged that at least Directv is talking about HD. What they're offering right now is pretty much crap, but there's hope for the future.

Ironically, one of the reasons why I ordered E* now was because I think that D* will move to MPEG4 first and add more national HD channels. When that happens, I'll be able to sign up as a NEW D* customer, get the new service before existing customers and take advantage of a better deal for the new MPEG4-based DVR.

I'm with you Walter on this plan... I was planning on doing the same with V* for when they came out with their DVR, alas it appears D* will be the winner instead...

Walter L. said:
Ironically, one of the reasons why I ordered E* now was because I think that D* will move to MPEG4 first and add more national HD channels. When that happens, I'll be able to sign up as a NEW D* customer, get the new service before existing customers and take advantage of a better deal for the new MPEG4-based DVR.

I am switching to E* for the same reason. Plus they also carry TNTHD, just in time for the NBA playoffs. Eventually I see myself switching to D* hopefully they'll have some good deals during that time particularly NFL Sunday Ticket. :D

onay said:
I am switching to E* for the same reason. Plus they also carry TNTHD, just in time for the NBA playoffs. Eventually I see myself switching to D* hopefully they'll have some good deals during that time particularly NFL Sunday Ticket. :D
That was the #1 reason for me. I've posted this before but my complete analysis for choosing E* instead of D* or Comcast was:

1) TNT-HD. I'm a huge NBA fan and can't live without the NBA playoffs on TNT-HD (40 games). Although it looks like Comcast will add TNT-HD soon, a local rep has confirmed that there is no capacity in my area so they won't added "any time soon".

2) CBS-HD. Comcast doesn't offer it in my area. Local affiliate refuses to give the feed to Comcast. I could still get it OTA, but won't be able to record it.

2) Affordable HD-DVR now. E* offers the lease plan for $250 upfront. With Comcast it would be $0 upfront, but for me reasons (1) & (2) justify the cost.

3) PQ. According to most reports I've seen, HD PQ is better on E* than E*, perhaps with the exception of HD PPV.

4) No commitment. If D* implements the new MPEG4-based service in the next 6-12 mos, improves PQ and adds more national HD channels, ironically, I'll be able to jump to that service faster as a new customer than as an existing one.

5) Good E* offer. "Everything pack" for the price of the "Top 180" for 3 mos, HD pack free for 6 mos, $0 DVR monthly fee, free install and $55 in rebates.

Not a bad strategy . . stick with E* now and then switch to D* with mpeg4. Maybe I should have done that too. But, I do have one E* HD receiver on my wife's tv, so if I get hard up for TNTHD during the playoffs, I can always pipe her signal to my room. It does bother me, though, that Directv doesn't have TNTHD. You'd think that if they were serious about HD, they'd at least have the major available offerings.

Directv Later

Walter L. said:

That's what I might do as well. I just left Directv on March 9th (to join Voom). I will stay with Comcast until Directv increases HD offering (via MPEG-4). Then I might jump back to them but I really am waiting to see what Verizon FIOS will offer in terms of HDTV and when they will hook up Baltimore area. So next year at this time I don't see myself with Comcast (unless they improve their HD content dramaticaly). I will either be with Verizon or with Directv. Ironically they are working together right now. You get discounted Directv service if you sign up for Verizon / Directv bundle (indirect triple play)
Wayne

Wayne88 said:
Then I might jump back to them but I really am waiting to see what Verizon FIOS will offer in terms of HDTV and when they will hook up Baltimore area. I will either be with Verizon or with Directv. Ironically they are working together right now. You get discounted Directv service if you sign up for Verizon / Directv bundle (indirect triple play)
Wayne

I've got Verizon FIOS for phone and internet, and it is amazing. I know they keep talking about delivering HD over fiber, but I haven't heard any specifics as of yet. So far, as with most everything involving HDTV, it's tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow . . .

A caveat for those of you following my strategy (E* now, D* later):
When ordering E* make sure that you get the no commitment option. If you order directly from E*, they will try to offer you "a better deal" if you sign up for 1-year or 2-year commitment. I also heard that some dealers put a cancellation penalty on the contract of up to $300 if you cancel before 1-year. Just make sure that you verify what you're getting into. When I ordered, I insisted on the no commitment, no penalty and also, called E* back 2 days later to verify it.

GLBorchert said:
I've got Verizon FIOS for phone and internet, and it is amazing. I know they keep talking about delivering HD over fiber, but I haven't heard any specifics as of yet. So far, as with most everything involving HDTV, it's tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow . . .

You might have a point.......because I think I saw that the 30 mbps download speed not the 15mbps download speed plan (for $49.95) might be the plan that gives streaming video. But then again I heard that they would provide TV (and hopefully HDTV) at a price that would make the Comcasts and the Directvs of the world cringe in horror (ie cheap). But I though saw that the 30mbps plan is very expensive.
http://www22.verizon.com/fiosforhome/channels/fios/root/package.asp
Hopefully the $49.95 plan is good enough for IP TV. By the way, which state do you live in?
Wayne

Commitment

Walter L. said:
A caveat for those of you following my strategy (E* now, D* later):
When ordering E* make sure that you get the no commitment option. If you order directly from E*, they will try to offer you "a better deal" if you sign up for 1-year or 2-year commitment. I also heard that some dealers put a cancellation penalty on the contract of up to $300 if you cancel before 1-year. Just make sure that you verify what you're getting into. When I ordered, I insisted on the no commitment, no penalty and also, called E* back 2 days later to verify it.

Thanks for the warning Walter! At least Dish has a no commitment plan. I may be wrong but Directv makes you commit to one year just about everything. The good thing is that the early termination penalty from Directv was prorated down from $150 to $25 (one sixed of a year remaining on contract). Surprisingly, Comcast has no contracts.

GLBorchert said:

I'm a Voom user who signed up for Directv last night. When I did I found out that people switching from Voom to Directv are eligible for a $200 rebate.

The good thing is that you can pick your hardware, with or without DVR. I bought their non-DVR unit for $299 so ended up with a net equipment cost of about $100 for the switch.

The rebate form is available online, but since I'm a new user this forum wouldn't let me post the URL. If you go to directv on the web, just add forwardslash voom to the URL and you'd get to the rebate form.

Ok.....I don't understand. Apparently nobody is doing any homework or price comparisons.

Do you guys not know that D* is costing you more money than E* as a new sub?

E* is GIVING you 2 HD receivers for no charge and they are giving you your $50 activation fee back on your first bill. And you don't have to spend any extra money on a phase 3 dish.

Don't get me wrong because I sell both and have D* myself. But unless you don't need the NFL Sunday Ticket you are paying over $100 more to get D*. Plus monthly the cost for D* HD is $10.99, as opposed to E* $9.99 for the same content.

Even with this $200 rebate from D* it is not worth it. Weigh it out....

Free receiver and dish with E*.....or $100 receiver after rebate and $50 dish with D*.

Besides, with E* buying Rainbow 1.......well you can do that math

Dang it.. I want to take advantage of the $200.00 offer from DirecTV, but darn if I can find any of the required documents like a Voom invoie to prove that I am Voom customer to DirecTV. I normally don't hold on to paid invoices, so they have all been thrown out it seems. And, Voom never did provide me with any customer agreement. I wonder if I can get DirecTV to give me this offer without the paperwork they are requesting?

I have that latest sheet that Voom sent saying that they are discontinuing service which has my name and address on it. I wonder if they will accept that?

seandudley said:
I have that latest sheet that Voom sent saying that they are discontinuing service which has my name and address on it. I wonder if they will accept that?

If not you could try calling a Voom CSR and see if they will e-mail you something that verifies your account.

Or try calling D* directly and explain -- they probably won't care.

rollerfink said:
Or try calling D* directly and explain -- they probably won't care.

although i guess since it's a rebate you will have to provide something. but voom should be able to e-mail (or fax) you something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts