DIRECTV Adds New HD Channels for Fall

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lucky

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
New York
DIRECTV Adds New HD Channels for Fall; Four Discovery HD Channels, Five Starz HD Channels, CNBC and Chiller to Join the HD Pack, More on the Way
HD Version of Disney's High School Musical 2 to Air Exclusively on

DIRECTVEL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 23, 2007--DIRECTV, the nation's leading satellite television service provider, continues to set the stage for its unprecedented expansion of HD services. With agreements in place to launch four Discovery HD channels, five HD channels from Starz, CNBC and Chiller in HD, along with recently completed deals with The History Channel and A&E, DIRECTV is on schedule to roll out up to 100 national HD channels by year-end to satisfy the appetite of its HD customers, who have doubled over the last year.

"Earlier this year we called 2007 the 'Year of HD' and we're going to deliver on our commitment to offer more HD channels than any other multichannel provider," said Derek Chang, executive vice president, Strategy and Development, DIRECTV, Inc. "In addition to the networks we've signed to date, we will continue to add more HD programming to our launch list between now and year-end. Demand for HD continues to grow, and with the dramatic expansion of our capacity this summer and the nationwide reach of our service, we are uniquely positioned to lead the industry in the carriage and delivery of HD programming."

Under the agreement with Discovery Communications, DIRECTV will launch four simulcasts - Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet and The Science Channel - and two other channels to be named and launched by Discovery at a later date. The HD feeds of the four existing networks will launch in September.

DIRECTV also has an agreement in place with Starz to launch three new HD movie channels: Starz Edge, Starz Comedy and Starz Kids & Family, as well as Starz's East and West coast HD feeds. The new Starz HD channels, featuring first-run hit movies, and the Starz East and West HD channels, will also launch in September.

The History Channel and DIRECTV recently announced that DIRECTV will be the first to launch The History Channel HD, a new 24-hour HD network, and A&E HD in September.

As it continues to beef up its HD channel lineup, DIRECTV has also become the platform of choice for the debut of exclusive HD programming. Disney Channel is providing DIRECTV the exclusive rights to broadcast the premiere HD version of High School Musical 2, the highly anticipated sequel to the global sensation for kids and families. DIRECTV will air the movie in HD a few days after its standard-definition premiere Friday, August 17 on Disney Channel.

In addition to the networks listed below, DIRECTV also plans to offer the HD feeds of regional sports networks on a nationwide basis this fall, and has commitments from a number of other networks to launch their HD simulcasts. They will be added to the lineup for launch by year-end and will be announced at a later date.

To date, DIRECTV has signed agreements or agreements in principle, to launch the following networks.

-- A&E -- National Geographic
-- Bravo -- NFL Network
-- Cartoon Network -- SciFi Channel
-- CNN -- Speed
-- Food Network -- TBS
-- Big Ten Network -- The History Channel
-- HGTV -- The Weather Channel
-- MTV -- USA Network
-- Disney Channel -- Versus HD
-- Toon Disney -- TLC
-- ABC Family -- Animal Planet
-- ESPNNEWS HD -- The Science Channel
-- Starz E/W feeds -- Discovery Channel
-- Starz Edge -- The Tennis Channel
-- Starz Comedy -- Showtime West
-- Starz Kids & Family -- The Movie Channel
-- CNBC -- Chiller
HD networks currently offered by DIRECTV include ESPN HD, ESPN2 HD, Discovery HD Theater, HDNet, HDNet Movies, TNT in HD, Universal HD, HBO HD, Showtime HD, an HD pay per view/special events channel and HD feeds from NY- and LA-based broadcast networks ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX (for eligible customers). DIRECTV also offers local HD broadcast channels in 60 cities, representing more than 70 percent of U.S. TV households.

DIRECTV's industry leading lineup of HD sports programming includes up to 10 MLB games a week in HD, and DIRECTV plans to offer all MLB games produced in HD beginning with the 2008 season. DIRECTV also offers NBA and NHL games in HD, and through its exclusive NFL SUNDAY TICKET(TM) Superfan subscription, DIRECTV customers have access to more than 150 NFL games in HD. In total DIRECTV offered more than 200 HD games last season, nearly twice as many as cable.

DIRECTV announced earlier this year that it will have the capacity to launch up to 100 national HD channels by the end of 2007, and offer local HD channels in up to 75 markets, following the launch of its D10 satellite this summer. The satellite will be operational and new HD services will begin rolling out in Q3.

The DIRECTV 11 satellite will be launched early next year to support further HD expansion. With the two satellites, DIRECTV will have the ability to deliver more than 1,500 local HD and digital channels and 150 national HD channels, in addition to new advanced programming services for customers.

About DIRECTV

DIRECTV, Inc., the nation's leading satellite television service provider, presents the finest television experience available to more than 16 million customers in the United States, through exclusive content, industry-leading customer satisfaction (which has surpassed cable for six years running) and superior technologies. Each day, DIRECTV subscribers enjoy access to over 250 channels of 100% digital picture and sound, exclusive programming and the most comprehensive collection of sports programming available anywhere, including NFL SUNDAY TICKET(TM) and MLB EXTRA INNINGS(R). DIRECTV (NYSE:DTV) also leads the digital television technology revolution with exclusives such as NFL SUNDAY TICKET SuperFan(TM), US Open Interactive and YES Network Interactive and will soon have the capacity to offer over 150 channels in HD. For the most up-to-date information on DIRECTV, please visit directv.com.

Robert Mercer, 310-964-4683
or
Darris Gringeri, 212-462-5136

SOURCE: DIRECTV, Inc.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=127160&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1006125&highlight=

This will be nice. When they say all MLB games produced in HD does that mean I will be able to watch my local team in HD? Right now the FSN-Cincinnati produces around 1 game a week in HD but nobody can see it.

What is Chiller and Versus?

I like how they officially announce September. Its been a solid rumor but good to see that month. Man I do hope that sat launch is June 20th. Its sooo important. I also hate to wish my summer away but come on September!!

This will be nice. When they say all MLB games produced in HD does that mean I will be able to watch my local team in HD? Right now the FSN-Cincinnati produces around 1 game a week in HD but nobody can see it.

What is Chiller and Versus?

I think

Chiller = Thrillers, mystery, mild horror, etc.

Versus - the old Outdoor Life Network (OLN), sports oriented, has NHL contract right now.

Last edited:
ramy, u wanna watch those sorry reds in hd? that would just intensify how horribly they are playing right now.

seriously, i believe directv already said in late march/early april, that all baseball games in hd would be broadcast in 2008!

ramy, u wanna watch those sorry reds in hd? that would just intensify how horribly they are playing right now.

seriously, i believe directv already said in late march/early april, that all baseball games in hd would be broadcast in 2008!

I think the key is, whatever is available from source for Sports in HD WILL be on D*. For instance, Sunday Ticket is not 100% HD because CBS is not doing every single game. If they were, you better believe D* will be taking full advantage of those satellites.

I think the key is, whatever is available from source for Sports in HD WILL be on D*. For instance, Sunday Ticket is not 100% HD because CBS is not doing every single game. If they were, you better believe D* will be taking full advantage of those satellites.

Yeah but what I was wanting to know is that if I am not paying extra for those packages will I get my local RSN in HD, because it is available.

I like how they officially announce September. Its been a solid rumor but good to see that month. Man I do hope that sat launch is June 20th. Its sooo important.

The good part of being conservative with announcements: when you DO announce, people aren't disappointed by delays. This announcement says a lot about their confidence in June 20 and all the testing that follows.

Yeah but what I was wanting to know is that if I am not paying extra for those packages will I get my local RSN in HD, because it is available.

I have read YES, because it is somewhat like a local channel. You do not need any other sports packages or such; Correct?

I have read YES, because it is somewhat like a local channel. You do not need any other sports packages or such; Correct?

That's what I have heard, and they do it now by using channel 95 to show those games, but I have yet to see the Reds games on there.

Cincy on Sports Time Ohio?

That's what I have heard, and they do it now by using channel 95 to show those games, but I have yet to see the Reds games on there.

Could the Reds be on Sports Time Ohio (STO)? I know the Indians are on STO and I can't get them (I live in NW OH). Maybe it is a contract thing.

They won't be "here" for another few months breaking the 18 month dry spell since the last full-time HD channel was added.

So what does that mean? To quote Rick Pitino "All this negativity around here sucks."

D* gives me what I want. My RSN's in HD, My locals in HD, NLF ST and Im happy.

The rest is bonus. Plus I dont need two sat dishs and an OTA to get D*'s programming.

So for me Happy Days are every day. Improve the PQ so its the best possible and Im even happier.

Sounds like great news to me. Now they just need to do their very best to get the quality up a few notches.

I believe you're good. Those in markets that have full-time HD RSN's are getting them without the SportsPack. For now that's a limited number of RSN's, but it includes NESN (Boston), YES and SNY (NY).

The more important quesiton is when your RSN will provide a full-time HD feed.

And don't forget: your RSN can also answer your questions. They negotiate how D* carries their channel.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts