DirecTV and cable internet access?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

garrubal

Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
I would like to keep my internet access via cable. And I'd like to get DirecTV. Is it possible for one room to get DirecTV from the wall and internet cable in another room?

Thanks for the help.

Sure. Just use separate cabling for each.

Yeah, but I don't want to make holes on the walls. It's not my house. I meant using the existing wiring/cables. I don't know if once you have a source (cable or satellite), it takes over the entire connection at home.

Check for threads concerning diplexing. With the MPEG4 rollout this capability has gotten almost impossible.

Do both rooms currently have a cable outlet? If so, then they may go to a central location where you could separate their usage. Be aware of any splitters that may be used. These won't work with sat signals.

It can be done, how easily it can be done depends on your current setup. I have DTV and my internet comes from the cable company. All the cable outlets in my house run to a central location (my garage, right beside my fuse box, a pretty common setup in fairly new construction), so it was just a matter of keeping the cable to the modem hooked up to Comcast while putting the rest of the cables into the multi-switch. My internet cable was run with a white cable and TV was black so this was easy for me. So the question becomes if all your cables run to one central location? If so, what you want to do will be easy. If not, you can still do it but it may take some work.

It can be done, how easily it can be done depends on your current setup. I have DTV and my internet comes from the cable company. All the cable outlets in my house run to a central location (my garage, right beside my fuse box, a pretty common setup in fairly new construction), so it was just a matter of keeping the cable to the modem hooked up to Comcast while putting the rest of the cables into the multi-switch. My internet cable was run with a white cable and TV was black so this was easy for me. So the question becomes if all your cables run to one central location? If so, what you want to do will be easy. If not, you can still do it but it may take some work.

That's certainly a possibility.

Although I get cable right now, a previous tenant had DirecTV. The dish is still there as well as their coax cables connected. With any luck, the same set up can be used (just hopefully with a newer dish).

I would like to keep my internet access via cable. And I'd like to get DirecTV. Is it possible for one room to get DirecTV from the wall and internet cable in another room?

Thanks for the help.
If you already have a landline phone, you might want to consider DSL. Then you won't need to try and share the existing cable. When I went to D*, I dropped cable internet. Cable was rated higher then my DSL speed, but the DSL is actaully faster. I ran several speed tests while I had both, at peak usage time and off peak. Cable internet speed goes down as more people in your neighborhood use it. With DSL, you are on your own seperate line, so the speed remains constant, no matter how many of your neighbors are using DSL.

Just a thought, since it worked for me. And with AT&T I will be getting a check for $125 for switching from cable and a free gateway/router with 4 ethernet ports and wireless capablity. If you are in Quests market, they will give you a bundle discount if you have their DSL and D*.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts