DIRECTV and DISH Network Not Ready For DTV Switch

cj9788

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Miami, FL
Not surprised

DIRECTV and DISH Network Not Ready For DTV Switch - Alabama Mobile Dtv Digital Television - WKRG.com

The two largest satellite providers in the country are not ready for the DTV switch.

WKRG ran two tests on Tuesday to help viewers know who's ready and who's not. Subscribers of both DIRECTV and DISH Network saw the slate pictured on the right, indicating they are not receiving WKRG's digital signal. That means if the switch happened today, they would only see static.

It doesn't surprise me. Ran one in the area where we are and one of the largest cable co's saw the test pattern we ran. I would be surprised if we saw static on E* most likely would see the Blue screen that says temporary loss of signal. Dish knows of the problem and is working on it.

I know this is kind of cross topic, but when you consider that the satco's are the ones paying to convert the equipment over to handle the digital signal, it makes you wonder why the broadcast stations are wanting more money from the same satcos to carry that signal.:confused:

Fright Journalism. Headline says they won't be ready. Story sources say otherwise.

DIRECTV and DISH Network Not Ready For DTV Switch - Alabama Mobile Dtv Digital Television - WKRG.com

The two largest satellite providers in the country are not ready for the DTV switch.

WKRG ran two tests on Tuesday to help viewers know who's ready and who's not. Subscribers of both DIRECTV and DISH Network saw the slate pictured on the right, indicating they are not receiving WKRG's digital signal. That means if the switch happened today, they would only see static.

Both are fine here.. :) Our stations ran the test card and dish and direct are both 100 percent dtv ready.

News article last week that ran said that the cable co's are going to hold off on the transition because its aparently confusing people wich if you look through the threads here seems to be the case with all of the misinformation thats still going around.

According to the DISH web page, it is nothing to worry about. They state they will be ready and not to worry about messages during the tests.

You can see the message under DISH News on the home page of the website.

The day after I had Dish installed, the local affiliate did a DTV test and low and behold... my set failed. I got the black screen with a message along the lines of, "you are not ready for the transition; either buy a converter box or switch to a cable or satellite provider..."

Hmm...:rolleyes:

I know this is kind of cross topic, but when you consider that the satco's are the ones paying to convert the equipment over to handle the digital signal, it makes you wonder why the broadcast stations are wanting more money from the same satcos to carry that signal.:confused:

How much could professional equipment for it cost? Consumer grade is a $40 box

I have heard reports all over the country of this happening; not just the sat guys, but cable operators as well. From what I heard it's not that the sat / cable companies are not ready, it was the local channel operators not sending the correct feed for the re-trans. Hopefully after those soft tests everyone's now 99% ready.

In the DFW area, three of the digital channels are moving to different channels in Feb. Two are moving from UHF to VHF and one is changing VHF channels. It would make sense that Dish, Direct and the cable cos. would set up for the new permanent channels and not the current temporary channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts