Directv and Moving

Status
Please reply by conversation.

joebeenimble

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
I live in SW Georgia (roughly 250 miles south of Atlanta).

I'm thinking of signing up with Directv, but want my locals in HD.... which they are not currently offered in my area.

Is it possible to "move" with Directv like it is with Dish? If so, will I be able to get a quality signal lock on the Atlanta locals, which are broadcast in HD?

Basically... my questions are: 1) can you move with Directv, and 2) are the Atlanta HD locals on a CONUS beam or spotbeam and if they are on spotbeam, how wide of a spotbeam is it?

Thanks a ton,
Joe

1. You can move its as easy as pie. Just call up and tell them your service address is changed and everything is already hooked up. Keep billing address your current.

2. Directv uses spotbeams off the Spaceways for the HD locals. Folks have been able to get signals as far away as 200 miles off the center of the City DMA. I've been able to confirm 90 miles off Boston. However, I am not sure if 250 miles will work. Given that you are in Georgia, I cant imagine that it wouldnt work. Worse case scenario, you do it, lose locals, call back and move again. Or you might have to find a closer HD DMA.

A friend of mine from work is considering "moving" his Directv service location ( way different Zip and area codes) and using online billing.

His question to me was: "Do keep your receivers phone line plugged in ?" If unplugged is the answer, what will this prevent you from doing ?

Any help for my friend will be appreciated.

Phone dont matter as long as they are all in same location. And basic packages dont require phone lines. Its when you get into PPV's and other packs like NFL that they are concerned units are in same house. They dont check phone area codes to compare against your service address. That cant be done nowadays with VOIP. I know if I ever physically move, my number is going with me.

I was thinking of doing this, but I also have their protection package which costs about $5 a month, but they'll come out and fix anything, even power surge damage. If I "moved" and then had a problem, I'd have to change my address before calling them.

BTW, you can't change your service address online, can you? I've looked at my account and don't see a way to do it.

no, service address is changed by directv only, not by the user no their website. only the billing address can be changed.

This is a serious question. Do any of you know of someone who has paid fines or done jail time for having "moved"? I'm not trying to be facetious when asking this, just curious if there are any true stories of consequence.

I have known numerous users that have had their service canceled and "banned" as it were. Ask some Dish user; if it gets too numerous, we could all end up losing access to some services.

NO SOUP FOR YOU!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts