DirecTV and new channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ibezdechi

Original poster
Mar 28, 2007
I have never quite understood how DirecTV launches new channels. Do the program providers pay them a fee for DirecTV to carry them? Specifically, Dish Network carries "The Documentary Channel" which features independently made documentary films, but apparently the channel is struggling with DirecTV to carry them.

Does anyone know? :eek:

easy ,DirecTV doesn't launch new channels
Nope, never have either:rolleyes:

To the OP. Channels are different. Most of the time D* or E* pays the channel or their owners for the rights to put them on.

Some others actually pay the sat companies for the right to be on (although there are only a few of these)

In the case of the channel you mentioned, perhaps D* just decided that it wouldnt be worth the extra cost to put it on. Not sure

Typically the ones that pay to be on are shopping stations.

I would venture that Direct didn't feel the price the doc. channel wanted was fair or a value for thier customer base. Could change, they are always negotating with channels.

SD channels in particular are highly selective on Directv's end because they have limited bandwith remaining.

Directv spends toooooooo much money on sports like "NFL Sunday Ticket" exclusivity. (hope I spelled that right!) :D

Directv spends toooooooo much money on sports like "NFL Sunday Ticket" exclusivity. (hope I spelled that right!) :D

I agree with you there, after 18 months with DirecTV I had had enough so I switched back to Dish. If it is not sports, DirecTV does not give a sh*t about carrying it. DirecTV has went WAAAY down hill since Rupert Murdoch sold the company to Liberty Media and John Malone. Malone makes Charlie look like a boy scout.

1st qtr 2009:

directv added 460,000 subs.
dish lost 94,000 subs.

Yea the spending on sports is really hurting. :rolleyes:
I'd be curious to see a comparison in new sub numbers between DTV and FiOS in the areas that FiOS serves. I've seen lots of people switch lately from both cable and satellite to FiOS. I know I'll be switching in 4 months (after my contract is up) if DTV doesn't start adding more national and premium HD programming.

I'd be curious to see a comparison in new sub numbers between DTV and FiOS in the areas that FiOS serves. I've seen lots of people switch lately from both cable and satellite to FiOS. I know I'll be switching in 4 months (after my contract is up) if DTV doesn't start adding more national and premium HD programming.

Fios in a new area will of course have a heavy influx of people switching to them, thats the nature of the business.... Look a year or two down the road and see where the Fios and D* numbers are over the same time span.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts