Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
DIRECTV Announces Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2011 Results

DIRECTV Adds 715,000 Net Additions in the Quarter Driven by DIRECTV Latin America's All-Time Quarterly Record of 590,000; DIRECTV adds 3.7 million new subscribers in 2011 including Sky Mexico.

For the year, DIRECTV Latin America sets records with 3.5 million gross and 2.1 million net additions while Sky Mexico adds 964,000 net new subscribers
DIRECTV U.S. sets annual record for gross additions with 4.3 million while adding 662,000 net new subscribers

DIRECTV Fourth Quarter Revenue Growth of 13% drives full year revenue to over $27 Billion

DIRECTV Latin America full year revenues grow 42% on record subscriber growth and an 8.1% increase in ARPU
Full year DIRECTV U.S. revenue growth of 8% to $21.87 billion driven by strong subscriber and ARPU growth

DIRECTV Fourth Quarter Diluted Earnings per Share Increases 38% to $1.02 and grows over 50% to $3.47 for the full year

Full year EPS driven by DIRECTV Latin America's 43% increase in operating profit before depreciation and amortization as well as $5.5 billion of share repurchases in 2011

DIRECTV Board Approves New $6 Billion Stock Repurchase Program

EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- DIRECTV (NASDAQ:DTV) today reported increases in fourth quarter 2011 revenues of nearly 13% to $7.46 billion, operating profit before depreciation and amortization1 (OPBDA) of 6% to $1.78 billion and operating profit of 14% to $1.21 billion compared to last year's fourth quarter. DIRECTV also reported that fourth quarter net income increased 16% to $718 million while diluted earnings per share grew 38% to $1.02 compared with the same period last year.

"Our fourth quarter results capped off another strong year of industry leading growth as we further extended our position as the world's largest provider of pay television services with nearly 32 million subscribers in the U.S. and Latin America," said Mike White, president and CEO of DIRECTV. "Strong consumer demand for DIRECTV and SKY's premium brands drove full year gross additions in both our U.S. and Latin American businesses to all-time highs fueling the largest annual net gain in DIRECTV's history of nearly 3.7 million subscribers including Sky Mexico. The tremendous subscriber performance along with solid ARPU growth fueled an acceleration of full year consolidated revenue growth to 13% exceeding the growth rates recorded over the past two years. In addition, earnings per share grew by over 50% in 2011 due to the higher operating profit at both DIRECTV U.S. and Latin America, as well as our share repurchase program."

White concluded, "We exit 2011 on track to achieve the operating and financial priorities we outlined a year ago as part of our diversified growth strategy designed to further extend DIRECTV's leadership position as the world's most popular pay television service while maintaining industry-leading revenue and earnings growth. We believe that successful execution of these strategies along with our share repurchase plan — highlighted by the approval of an additional $6 billion buyback authorization — will create significant shareholder value as we remain on track to achieve or exceed our $5 EPS target in 2013."

DIRECTV, Inc. - DIRECTV Announces Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2011 Results

They had a net gain of 125,000 US subs in Q4. That is not bad considering most providers have had a net loss of subs the last few quarters. 2/3 of a million total new subs for the whole year in the US alone.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Good quarter, I bet even at 125,000 their numbers are higher then DISH's. :)

Do you think Dish will have a positive or negative net growth in subs?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Well,

I am going to bring my jaded point of view on this. Those profits came off the backs of hard workers who have there job's threaten every day if they dont push the premiums no matter what the issue. No matter what your title. Directv encourages this behavior among it partners and vendors. It is actually quite sad.

Well,

I am going to bring my jaded point of view on this. Those profits came off the backs of hard workers who have there job's threaten every day if they dont push the premiums no matter what the issue. No matter what your title. Directv encourages this behavior among it partners and vendors. It is actually quite sad.

Unfortunately that's the way of the business world, now more so than ever.

DTV should be thankful every year that they have the Sunday Ticket package exclusively, which is probably one of the main reasons why many keep their service.

South America is where they are cleaning up.

DirecTV Profit Increases 16% as User Gains in Latin America Rise to Record - Bloomberg

Any Warren Buffett bought in big yesterday.

Yep, and this also continues the growth trend that Directv has had. Directv has NEVER had a quarterly loss yet on any of the sides of its business. If dish's numbers are negative tomorrow that will be their 10th quarterly loss in 15 quarters. I don't see how you can manage to keep investors happy if your constantly loosing subs. Anyhow, I will save that discussion for tomorrow when the numbers come out. I am hopeing that we all will be surprised with a positive number from dish.

DTV should be thankful every year that they have the Sunday Ticket package exclusively, which is probably one of the main reasons why many keep their service.
What proportion of the subs have ST? I would bet it is less than their average net gain each quarter.

ST was one of the reasons that made me switch from dish to directv a few years ago. haven't had it the last two years. what keeps me with directv is their customer service. they have treated me very well and have helped me on numerous occasions in many ways. something i never got from dish the ten years i was with them.

$7.46 billion in revenue and they continue still nickle and dime us to death with price increases.

Well the US growth is slowing and will soon be pretty stagnant to negative. Lack of growth means the only profit generation tool you have is either cost cutting or price increases. Considering the content controllers raise their prices with each new contract D* is sure to raise theirs plus their margin which is not a surprise.

Despite costs being high per month, most Americans consume massive amounts of entertainment from their TV (average of 151 hours per month per person). On a per hour basis its still cheap entertainment compared to what other companies charge to entertain you. Especially when you start adding up kids, wife and yourself and see how many hours the boob tube keep you watching.

Source: http://articles.latimes.com/2009/feb/24/business/fi-tvwatching24

What proportion of the subs have ST? I would bet it is less than their average net gain each quarter.
The ARPU goes up about $9/month between Q3 and Q4 and much of that is likely the impact of NFLST.

Of course a good chunk of the revenue for NFLST comes from businesses so it is difficult to work backwards towards a number of subscribers. There are surely lots of customer who get free or heavily discounted NFLST but you can pretty much bet that none of the commercial accounts do.

Nobody's ever accused them of being a non-profit, and their programming costs go up every year.
Yep. DTV is no different than any other corporation out to make money. What helps on the marginal increases are the plentiful special promos they are allowed to give their customers.

I would say a large base has ST. I mean, the NFL is the #1 sport in the US and they exclusively offer every game. That's got to reel in sports junkies. It's also the reason I quickly dropped Time Warner Cable a few years ago.

what keeps me with directv is their customer service. they have treated me very well and have helped me on numerous occasions in many ways.
Options are good. I contact my provider an average of once every 20 months or so.

To me, the best customer service lies in not feeling compelled to talk to Customer Service.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)