Please reply by conversation.

jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
DirecTV let us know today about the start of their migration plans for the locals on the 72.5 satellite (that will be phased out over the next year or two).

While this does not include all local markets using 72.5, it is a start. Other markets could be moved to 99/103 or a different satellite like 110/119. Those plans are not announced yet.

The best news is that users in these markets are going to get a FREE dish upgrade and receiver upgrades to ALL MPEG4 equipment.

There are some changes coming up that will affect several local markets. Over the next several months locals channels in the markets below are moving from 72.5 Sat to either 99 or 103 location. Notifications will begin later this week and will continue throughout the year.

Customers in these markets will need MPEG-4 equipment to receive local channels:

• · Burlington Vt.-Plattsburg, N.Y.
  • · Columbia-Jefferson City, Mo.
  • · Fort Wayne, Ind.
  • · La Crosse-Eau Claire, Wis.
  • · Lincoln Hastings, Neb.
  • · Peoria-Bloomington, Ill.
  • · Rockford, Ill.
  • · Traverse City-Cadillac, Mich.
  • · Youngstown, Ohio

Two other markets may also be added later this year.

Customers in these markets will be eligible for a free equipment swap. While customers will have MPEG 4 equipment they will not be required to have HD Access and this offer will not extend their commitments.

DirecTV will contact affected subscribers to arrange installation appointments, but this process will be spread out throughout 2009, so don't get too eager :)

There are other markets that are already "duplicated" on 72.5 and 99/103, but this is the first that DirecTV has announced plans to start hardware upgrades with a projected timeline to eliminate the 72.5 feeds.

DirecTV let us know today about the start of their migration plans for the locals on the 72.5 satellite (that will be phased out over the next year or two).

While this does not include all local markets using 72.5, it is a start. Other markets could be moved to 99/103 or a different satellite like 110/119. Those plans are not announced yet.

The best news is that users in these markets are going to get a FREE dish upgrade and receiver upgrades to ALL MPEG4 equipment.

DirecTV will contact affected subscribers to arrange installation appointments, but this process will be spread out throughout 2009, so don't get too eager :)

So these 9 markets are all they are going to swap this year ? plus a few more that you made mention ...

For example the Toledo, Ohio market, they get the SD from the 72 sat and now have the HD on the 99 or 103, don't remember, but they will take the SD off the 72 and move the SD to the 99 or 103 ? or is this doing away with the SD locals all together ?

There are a lot of markets in my area listed, but not Toledo ....:(
Youngstown, Ohio
Traverse City-Cadillac, Mich.
Fort Wayne, Ind.

Interesting, No Detroit, they were one of the first to go mpeg4 if I recall correctly.

Jimbo

Detroit is not on 72.5

The markets listed will be removed from 72.5 sometime late this year or early next, thus the start of the hardware replacement process.

72.5W belongs to Bell Expressvu!

directv doesn't own 72.5W right now, they're only leasing the slot from telesat. Nimiq 5 is supposedly due in 2010 or so.

I live in the Champaign market but "live" in the Chicago market. The install was done with both dishes. I have a HR20, R15, as well as a standard receiver that was added when we moved in the summer of 2007. We are moving in May so of course the locals will be switched back to the Champaign market. We are probably going to add a new HD-DVR to our setup. I don't see the Champaign market being scheduled for migration yet. My question is what course of action should I follow? The HR20 and R15 worked when they did the initial installation in 2006 (we had HD locals back then but I do not recall if they were Mpeg2 or 4.) Of course the new HD-DVR (and mover's connection) will throw us back into a contract but I wouldn't mind having them upgrade the R15 as well :)

My market not listed (greenville-washington-newbern, NC), but I have already been contacted about the migration. New dish and receivers scheduled for Feb. 5.

So I know my hr20 is okay but what about the D11's and the R-15 that I have. are these Mpeg4 capable?

No, if they go MPEG4 you'll need / get a free upgrade. The R15 would be a R22. There is no MPEG4 basic Sd receiver yet, so you'd get a H21/H23.

only when they switch dish/receivers IF your locals are moved to a new satellite and MPEG4. They will contact you if you qualify.

The change is something they are spacing out over the next year or so.

Well I know that when they do new installs now they are using one dish and not installing the 72.5 dish in my area now. I am in the Charleston, SC market. So I probably will have to soon.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts