DirecTV announces new local H/D DMA's(Local HD Programming In 76 Markets by Mid-2008)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

moonman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
So. Fla.
The 11 local markets to receive HD programming from DIRECTV include:

-- Albany/Schenectady/Troy, N.Y. -- Paducah, Ky.
-- Cedar Rapids/Waterloo, Iowa -- Tucson, Ariz.
-- Flint/Saginaw/Bay City, Mich. -- Waco/Temple/Bryan, Texas
-- Lincoln/Hastings, Neb. -- Wichita/Hutchinson, Kan.
-- Louisville, Ky. -- Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pa.
-- Omaha, Neb.
DirecTV - Investor Relations - News Release

So let's go through the list:

-- Albany/Schenectady/Troy, N.Y.
All big four affiliates should be available

-- Cedar Rapids/Waterloo, Iowa
Unknown

-- Flint/Saginaw/Bay City, Mich.
Aren't these available already?

-- Lincoln/Hastings, Neb.
Unknown

-- Louisville, Ky.
Unless ontract problems with Fox-owned Block, all available

-- Omaha, Neb.
All big four affiliates should be available

-- Paducah, Ky.
Unless Wheeler-owned ABC and Paxtoon-owned NBC are problems, all affiliates should be available

-- Tucson, Ariz.
All affiliates should be available

-- Waco/Temple/Bryan, Texas
Didn't a couple of these come on already?

-- Wichita/Hutchinson, Kan.
NBC is owned by Montecito, which could pose a problem. CBS owned by Schurz, which is unknown. Other two should definitely be available.

-- Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pa
CBS and NBC owned by Nexstar. If this isn't a problem, Pegasus-owned Fox might be.

That of course, is unlike the situation in Norfolk, where two major stations are owned by LIN, which refuses to come to an agreement with DirecTV.

That of course, is unlike the situation in Norfolk, where two major stations are owned by LIN, which refuses to come to an agreement with DirecTV.
Im not buying it anymore. CoX and Verizon FIOS have reached agreements and carry all of the channels yet D* cannot?

DIRECTV to Deliver Local HD Programming In 76 Markets by Mid-2008Eleven Additional Local HD Markets Named; More than 75 Percent of U.S. Television Homes Will have Access to Local HD Channels from DIRECTV
EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 5, 2007--Continuing its momentum for delivering the best quality HD programming available, DIRECTV (NASDAQ:DTV) will offer local HD broadcast networks in 76 markets, representing more than 75 percent of U.S. TV households, when it rolls out 11 additional local HD markets by mid-2008. DIRECTV began the rollout with the launch of HD local channels in the Flint, Mich. and Waco, Texas designated market areas last week.

DIRECTV will deliver HD programming from each of the primary broadcast networks - ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC - where available, to customers who subscribe to any TOTAL CHOICE(R) programming package that offers local channels. DIRECTV HD customers will continue to pay only a $9.99 access fee, allowing them to receive DIRECTV's premier HD technology and all channels broadcast in HD that are tied to their particular base programming package.

The 11 local markets to receive HD programming from DIRECTV include:
-- Albany/Schenectady/Troy, N.Y.
-- Paducah, Ky.-- Cedar Rapids/Waterloo, Iowa
-- Tucson, Ariz
.-- Flint/Saginaw/Bay City, Mich.
-- Waco/Temple/Bryan, Texas
-- Lincoln/Hastings, Neb.
-- Wichita/Hutchinson, Kan.
-- Louisville, Ky.
-- Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pa.
-- Omaha, Neb."
While offering the most quality national HD channels is important, we believe that it is equally important to deliver popular local HD programming that will give our customers the most comprehensive HD experience available," said Derek Chang, executive vice president, Content Strategy and Development, DIRECTV, Inc. "Delivering local channels in HD to 76 markets will solidify our position as a leader in HD and enables us to compete even more aggressively with cable providers across the country."
Information regarding the full DIRECTV HD programming lineup, which includes 87 national HD channels, and details on receiving equipment needed for the new DIRECTV HD services, are available by calling 1-800-DIRECTV or visiting directv.com.
Source: DIRECTV

Last edited:
So does this mean those are the only cities to be added until mid-2008? I thought D-11 was going to light almost everyone up!

So does this mean those are the only cities to be added until mid-2008? I thought D-11 was going to light almost everyone up!

D11 won't be launched until the Jan-Feb timeframe as it stands now, that means it wouldn't be operational until maybe April 1 (give or take). I assume they are giving conservative estimates since it only represents the addition of about 10 markets in 6 months.

Check with Vurbano! He knows the real reason.

It real easy.
Every local affiate in Norfolk/Porthsmith DMA is owned by a company DirecTv has a issue with.

The Funny things is technically for the entire state of VA no other DMA outside of the DC DMA market has their locals in HD. VA is the only state I see getting the shaft with N.C. and N.Y. DMA's are on.

It real easy.
Every local affiate in Norfolk/Porthsmith DMA is owned by a company DirecTv has a issue with.

The Funny things is technically for the entire state of VA no other DMA outside of the DC DMA market has their locals in HD. VA is the only state I see getting the shaft with N.C. and N.Y. DMA's are on.
Maybe that spot beam for VA simply doesnt work?

Where's Toledo, Ohio ?
They are local DMA # 70, they were 68, it looks like they will be skipping over them again :rolleyes:

I don't believe any DMA list anymore as for when they will be on, the Toledo stations were suppose to be on LAST April, then got pushed back, then it was 1st q of '08 and now it looks like they are not even on the map anymore.

Thanks D :down

Jimbo

LOL that possible, I got 5 bucks says LIN. I put 10 bucks on it that Richmond get theirs before Norfolk since Raycom is buying out Sinclair in Richmond.

Just courious why you keep saying Sinclair is a problem for Directv? There are many markets today that are up and operational that have Sinclair stations. I just happen to live in a Sinclair market (2 stations) and have both stations up in HD with Directv.

This sucks. I don't understand why mine isn't there. Some of those are way down the list compared to Norfolk and mine.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)