Directv AU9-S Dish Setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

harley52

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2007
Here's the current layout. I have a Phase II Duel LNB dish connected into a Zinwell WB68 4X8 multiswitch (Note: four cables coming from the dish to the switch) connected to Directv Plus R15, a Directv Tivo SIR-S4040R, and a RCA DRD440RE standard receiver. I have no HD setup at this time and will no doubt upgrade to HD some where in the near future. Everything works fine. I just purchased a Directv AU9-S dish.

Questions

1: I have four connections at the LNB'S the instructions say I only need one cable to align the dish. But do I connect the current four cables when I hook up the dish or do I really only need one cable on the new dish for completion.

2: They also say to setup the receivers four 5 LNB'S. The RCA DRD440RE can only setup Three that I can see. Can this receiver work with this dish or can any of my receivers work with this dish?

3: They also recommend a signal meter to align the dish. Does this need to happen or can you use the receiver. The proper meter I've seen is a little over $200.00.

Here's the current layout. I have a Phase II Duel LNB dish connected into a Zinwell WB68 4X8 multiswitch (Note: four cables coming from the dish to the switch) connected to Directv Plus R15, a Directv Tivo SIR-S4040R, and a RCA DRD440RE standard receiver. I have no HD setup at this time and will no doubt upgrade to HD some where in the near future. Everything works fine. I just purchased a Directv AU9-S dish.

Questions

1: I have four connections at the LNB'S the instructions say I only need one cable to align the dish. But do I connect the current four cables when I hook up the dish or do I really only need one cable on the new dish for completion.

2: They also say to setup the receivers four 5 LNB'S. The RCA DRD440RE can only setup Three that I can see. Can this receiver work with this dish or can any of my receivers work with this dish?

3: They also recommend a signal meter to align the dish. Does this need to happen or can you use the receiver. The proper meter I've seen is a little over $200.00.

Guy's , is the WB 6x8 the new multiswitch for the AT-9 ( I think it is, so I think he's ok, but wanted to confirm)

1. Run the 4 cables from the LNB to the multiswitch, then run your recievers to the multiswitch., then set up, if your only connecting 1 receiver for now, you still want to connect all 4 to the LNB first.

2. Yes this receiver will work with the 5 LNB, tell it to set up as a 3 lnb.

3. You can do it without a meter, but it is much easier with one. More precise too.

Also, if you haven't already, you will want to have 2 lines going to any DVR's you have.

Jimbo

Thank you for the quick answers. Yes the WB68 is the switch to handle the new dish and International on sat 95 coming soon. What I'm doing is upgrading for the future of HD and international channels and this switch does it all. But you still need to dishes. You have Flex ports for Sat 72.5 & Sat 95. So for question one I have two cables coming off of Sat A and two cables coming off Sat C on the old dish. They just connect to any of the four connections of the new disk and run to the multswitch. If that is the case then I hook up and align correct. And the reason why I changed the multiswitch is I ran out of cable connections to my DVR's. My Tivo hard drive went bad and Directv sent me a R15 box. But I was able to repair the Tivo box for free.

Thank you for the quick answers. Yes the WB68 is the switch to handle the new dish and International on sat 95 coming soon. What I'm doing is upgrading for the future of HD and international channels and this switch does it all. But you still need to dishes. You have Flex ports for Sat 72.5 & Sat 95. So for question one I have two cables coming off of Sat A and two cables coming off Sat C on the old dish. They just connect to any of the four connections of the new disk and run to the multswitch. If that is the case then I hook up and align correct. And the reason why I changed the multiswitch is I ran out of cable connections to my DVR's. My Tivo hard drive went bad and Directv sent me a R15 box. But I was able to repair the Tivo box for free.

Looks like you have it figured out :)

Jimbo

Not really I was unclear on a few things and you set it straight. Thank you. Now it time to install. One other question. If I use the R15 receiver for tuning do I use Tuner 1 or Turner 2?

Last edited:
Dosen't make any difference but you are going to have heck testing 99 & 103 with out a MPEG 4 receiver. Right now if you upgraded to either the H20 or the HR20 Directv would have given you a free AU9 and installation.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts