Directv buys Replay /Why Can't DISH buy Tivo?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

MikeD-C05

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Nederland , Texas
Just read the Tv Predictions website and they announced that Directv bought Replay dvr company. I don't see why Charlie with his Echostar holding company can't do the same with TIVO and make the lawsuit go away. It would sure make that 97 million go from one pocket to the other if he did. We would also get some cool features like Tivo users already have. One being able to share content from one dvr to the next in the same household.

Charlie is a poker player. I'm sure he figures he'll come out ahead by fighting, rather than buying.

I'm more interested in Repay than Tivo. But frankly, I'm so happy with my ViP622 that it doesn't really matter.

Just read the Tv Predictions website and they announced that Directv bought Replay dvr company. I don't see why Charlie with his Echostar holding company can't do the same with TIVO and make the lawsuit go away. It would sure make that 97 million go from one pocket to the other if he did. We would also get some cool features like Tivo users already have. One being able to share content from one dvr to the next in the same household.

If you're intent on selling your company, why bother buying more things for it? :p

MikeD-CO5 said:
I don't see why Charlie with his Echostar holding company can't do the same with TIVO and make the lawsuit go away. It would sure make that 97 million go from one pocket to the other if he did.
It's a little more complicated than that.

TiVo, as a publically traded company, has a board of directors that must approve the deal. However, in a case of a takeover, TiVo can utilize the poison-pill, which could make it cost over $1B to purchase TiVo.

DirecTV may have simply purchased ReplayTV for access to their patent portfolio. It is assumed that the result of the TiVo V. ReplayTV settlement included cross-licensing of each others patents. Because the deal DirecTV has with TiVo ends in 2010, DirecTV will need to relicense TiVo in order to continue the "Time Warp" functions that Echostar was found to violate in the TiVo v. Echostar case. However, if the cross-licensing holds true, then DirecTV may already have those patents available.

I think that Charlie is of the opinion that his Dish Player was out just as soon as Tivo and Replay were out, so he doesn't see the reason to pay them for something that he developed.

Too bad Echostar didn't by Replay. I've got 3 Replay TV units and would take them hands down any day over TIVO. Much better interface and guide.

I think the short sightedness of Charlie in regards to Tivo will come back and bite him in the butt literally and figuratively. He should either work out a deal with them or attempt to buy them. TIVo would make a great company for the Echostar holding company to add to its portfolio. Imagine the combination receiver that they could create with a tivo software and sling box features. It would definately be an competition killer with all those features.

Last edited:
D*'s pockets are deeper than E*'s, and since TiVo's more popular than Replay, it'll cost more.

Also, like someone said, maybe TiVo isn't for sale. It it was, I'd think D* would be more interested in buying them, since TiVo market share is bigger.

D*'s pockets are deeper than E*'s, and since TiVo's more popular than Replay, it'll cost more.

Also, like someone said, maybe TiVo isn't for sale. It it was, I'd think D* would be more interested in buying them, since TiVo market share is bigger.

I also think that if and when Tivo goes on the market that D* will buy them with a bid that will shut E* out. D* and Tivo already have a working business arrangement and all E* has with Tivo is a huge lawsuit! :D

... TIVo would make a great company for the Echostar holding company to add to its portfolio. Imagine the combination receiver that they could create with a tivo software and sling box features. It would definately be an competition killer with all those features.

Depends upon your opinion of Tivo. I think it's WAY too slow and cutesy. And I hate the unwanted downloads- done way more often than Dish does. Plus their "suggestions" which I'm glad can be turned off. And their fees. Maybe they could use some features, but keep the current Dish EPG appearance.

But the ability to watch any event from any dvr in your home no matter where would be a very nice feature. They also allow you to schedule from the internet, something DISH is still working on. I too hated the Suggestions and turned it off the same day I had it with my series 2 stand alone tivo. I am not saying all the software was great but it did have some great search features and the ability of making the lawsuit go away would be very nice.

Look at TiVo's historical stock price, TIVO: Historical Prices for TIVO INC - Yahoo! Finance. It doesn't look good... Poison pill option or not, I think they would welcome a buyout ! Just because that poison pill exists doesn't mean they'll use it.

And as far as TiVo features in Dish DVRs, people sound like you can just install it in place of the current Dish software. It would take one year minimum, and probably longer, to integrate it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)