DirecTV Buys ReplayTV?!?!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
As a former Replay owner I sure hope they incorporate some of the Replay features into the D* DVR line and not just let it die.

I'm with you guys! I hope they take from the code Replay used for its previous units and blends it with the current D* stuff. If they pull this off, the DVR as we know it could get easier to use (not that I don't think it is easy already).

Only time will tell.

My friend had a Replay years ago, and one thing that was cool was being able to dump raw video into it. I don't see Tivo or D* having that.

I think that this is a way for DirecTV to get
Patent rights for certain software features
that they will use in their own DVR's. IMO

At one time, I had probably 10-12 ReplayTVs (of various flavors) running.. I'm down to 4 of the 5xxx series now, and using other methods to record and reencode recordings into a ReplayTv compatible format that can be hosted on one of several instances of dvarchive. I also have an xbox in every room to stream media back from replaytv's and the archives.. I'm doubting that any of these great features will be supported in any DirecTV PVR in the future, so I'll just stick with my old ReplayTV's until something better comes along.

Another waste of money by Directv!

Unless they can incorporate the commercial skip, the technology aint worth it!
Since the reason that ReplayTv got sued out of existance had (in good part) to due with the commercial skip (which was eventually discontinued), I doubt that feature will be brought back

If there were a chance in hell that Replay's expertise could have helped D*, they would not have bought it. They bought it, and they will SIT on it and keep cramming the POS HR20 cripple-sorry excuse for a DVR down folks' necks and make them LIKE it.

They're gonna have to SHOW me something before they EVER get me back. And I tell everyone I meet what they did, and steer them in any direction but Directv. It may not be much, but it makes me feel better. ;)

Yeah I doubt the auto commercial skip would come back, however, one think I would like to see is the ability for users to share programs. You simply need a code from the other persons hardware and you send programs via internet, pretty cool. I remember when they had replaytv request software so users could request specific programs and users who had them on their replay would send them to you.

Yeah I doubt the auto commercial skip would come back, however, one think I would like to see is the ability for users to share programs. You simply need a code from the other persons hardware and you send programs via internet, pretty cool. I remember when they had replaytv request software so users could request specific programs and users who had them on their replay would send them to you.
Poopli is still alive and serving this purpose quite well.

I knew you guys would be talking about this...I took have had several Replay incarnations and I loved the commercial advance & 'video sharing' as my primary 2 best features. I know poopli probably helped kill Replay since that stretched the concept of 'sharing' but I used it to video my Christmas mornings with the kids & then send that to my parents so they could watch it a couple of hours later..I didn't use it to archive every episode of Curb Your Enthusiam or become a torrent site for tv episodes.

I too hope they use this as the basis of some future DVR..maybe they aren't happy with their own flavor & dont want to be dependent on TIVO licensing as an alternative long-term...

Thoughts?

If there were a chance in hell that Replay's expertise could have helped D*, they would not have bought it. They bought it, and they will SIT on it and keep cramming the POS HR20 cripple-sorry excuse for a DVR down folks' necks and make them LIKE it.

You see I have the exact opposite opinion on the HR20. As someone who has used both versions of the Cable DVR software and have played with the in-laws Dish DVR, I can say without a shadow of a doubt that I'd take DTv's version twice before any of the others. In fact when I was contemplating dropping DTV this fall, I had a cable DVR installed and within a week the piss poor excuse for software made the decision to stay with DTV a no-brainer.

The one piece of software I have not had experience with is TiVo. Whether it is better or not is open to interpretation. I will say this about DTV's move away from TiVo. For starters, any big business that is reliant on another company for their core business is going to eventually get themselves in a situation where the other company can control prices and usage at will. Let's not kid ourselves here...HD is the future and DTV is the leader in that area while DVRs are becoming an also indespensible tool for those with HD. It made a lot of sense for the break from TiVo to come when they were beginning the transition to mpeg-4 technology.

I was part of the general "beta stability release" of the box last October and while I can appreciate your fustration with the software then, DTV has done nothing but improve upon it. DOD is an awesome feature that in my mind is on-par or better than cable (when you exclude the minute or two delay while buffering before the program starts) as well as the upcoming remote programming of the DVR.

I think that this is a way for DirecTV to get
Patent rights for certain software features
that they will use in their own DVR's. IMO

I agree. Often, buying the entire company and its intellectual property is cheaper than paying the legal fees. Sadly, this is often true even if you are found to be innocent.

Status
Please reply by conversation.