DIRECTV & CABLE INTERNET

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RAL686

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
Central Oregon
Anybody Know If You Can Run A Cable Internet And Directv On The Same Coax Run? I Hate To Have To Run A Second Cable Run Thru The House. I Have Just Cancelled The Basic Cable Tv But Kept The Internet, And Want To Install Directv To The Same Location As The Internet. Please Help, Thanks

/Unfortunately no you cant... why? there would need to be a certain voltage going back on the line that would interfear with the diplexed signal. sorry

ShadowEKU said:
/Unfortunately no you cant... why? there would need to be a certain voltage going back on the line that would interfear with the diplexed signal. sorry

just thought of something.... if ther eis a convenient location where an actual cable cable is you could get a wireless router and wireless card for your pc.... maybe 100 dollars to prevent damage.

What exlacty did you do Lurch? Are you saying you used them diplexors to feed your cable internet and DTV through the same coax line going into your house. I have purchased them RCA VHD920 Diplexors, and tested them without a sat system yet, and they didnt seem to work. Do these things require voltage from a sat system? I was just wondering because I tested them with a ohm meter and didnt have any connection on the "ANT" side of the device, even tested as a diode, thinking that it would work like a diode. I do want to use these things for OTA channels since I won't be able to get the network channels.

I know when I had my D* system installed, the installer tried to tap into my cable internet coax to run the second tivo line and it made the internet router work intermittently, when I had the intenet guy come out to fix the problem, he had to replace the router, and he told me that the problem is with the D* voltages and the internet voltages have troble co-existing, although the D* installer that came out to run a new cable for my 2nd tivo line said that he has had people who have tapped into the internet line with no problem, in fact, he said that the original problem may have actually been a bad multi-switch.

My houseis pre-wired for cable...I used diplexers on the lines coming from the dish and cable drop and have had no problems routing them to my DVR. Perhaps it's a "try and see" issue

I decided not to take any chances and I went ahead and ran a deticated RG6 cable to my computer. It didn’t take much to do. But here is something that was funny, the other night the receiver in the master bedroom went out. When I turned it back on, it couldn’t find any signal, so I went into the living room and it also was looking for a satellite signal. I ran a “signal strength test matrix” and it show most of the even transponders with “n/a” or very low numbers. I checked the other 2 room receivers, and they were having similar problems. So I was starting to freak out thinking that somewhere in the cables, I have a short. Earlier that day I bought some of the more expensive “F” connectors and crimping tool, and changed some of the ugly crimped on “F” connectors that I installed earlier in the week. So I started to isolate each cable off of the diplexor and OTA antenna at one end, and each diplexor at each receiver and went directly into the satellite jack, and no changes. So it’s not any of the diplexors. Than it must be one of the cable runs, but as I did each receiver directly to the dish, without the diplexor, and I was still getting low signals on each receiver, now I’m thinking it’s the dual LNB. So I gave up, put all the cables the way they were, and checked it again, I didn’t expect any changes, and there wasn’t. Now I was planning to call technical service and see if the installers can come out to check the LNB. But before I called, I went into the manual and notice that there is a reset button hidden behind the Access Card door, so I took a chance and pressed it….. WOW, its now back to normal, and reset the other 3 units….. Now we’re all happy!!

Thanks for all your answers!!

RAL686 said:
Anybody Know If You Can Run A Cable Internet And Directv On The Same Coax Run? I Hate To Have To Run A Second Cable Run Thru The House. I Have Just Cancelled The Basic Cable Tv But Kept The Internet, And Want To Install Directv To The Same Location As The Internet. Please Help, Thanks

Yes, you can -- I'm doing it -- BUT for best results you should use Diplexers rated down to 5MHz, asthe Cable Modem uplink is in the 5-40MHz range (it can move dynamically). I use Spaun SEW121F's, available from Solid Signal.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)