Directv CES Press Release

Status
Please reply by conversation.
"Including the 12 HD local markets launched last year...:confused: :confused: " What are they talking about? I thought there only 8 or so launched last year??

No new HD channels ???

Interesting that they tout all kinds of new features and products but not a word or hint that there will be new HD channels except for the HD music channel that has been reported will be on 401. How disappointing!

Last edited:
Forgert about the "real deal". Directv will not launch any prime HD channel like CMAX or Starz in 2006. They want to increase their base of SD customers and stick to the local HD X 1500 plan. I guess I will switch back to Dish soon.

The HD-Dvr is mid 2006. I guess the rumors of late 1st or early 2nd quarters were wrong. No mention of the HMC either :(

bgsmallwood said:
Interesting that they tout all kinds of new features and products but not a word or hint that there will be new HD channels except for the HD music channel that has been reported will be on 401. How disappointing!

You got that right. Most of what they are talking about will cost you extra to get or use it. Nothing in that announcement excites me. I was hoping for something on HD Nationals, but was also disappointed. Maybe they will surprise us like they usually do and just one day we will find them on the listings. I sure would like to see the National Geographic HD Channel, when it comes out.

By that news...........nothing for me.........going to be a year or more just to be upgraded to MPEG4 & only get the 4 majors...& have to pay for it....no thanks..I get more HD locals for free.........

Barney

Well I for one will probably go to Dish for more HD. I had Voom before they went out and guess I will go to dish to get them back. I have not been impressed with Directv. They bribed me over to them as a former Voom customer but, as I said......I'm not too happy with the HD content. All I have gotten is......what they are going to do. Been almost a year. They locked me in for a year. Well that is done in April. As far as HD locals.......get them with antenna.

Fgsilva said:
"Including the 12 HD local markets launched last year...:confused: :confused: " What are they talking about? I thought there only 8 or so launched last year??
_________
There were 12 DMA's LIL added before year's end. This statement from today's
Press release, tells me that they have the capability right now to add 24 more
DMA's with Spaceway1 right now if they wanted to..
--------
Including the 12 HD local markets launched last year, DIRECTV will offer HD local channels in 36 markets, representing more than 57 percent of U.S. television households in the first half of the year, with more local HD launches planned for later in 2006. DIRECTV will initially carry the primary broadcast stations - ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox - that offer an HD feed in the market. Customers who subscribe to a programming package that includes local channels will receive both the standard and HD signals at no extra monthly charge.
--------
Spaceway2 when it comes on line, will add the additional DMA's by year's end.

slimoli said:
Forgert about the "real deal". Directv will not launch any prime HD channel like CMAX or Starz in 2006. They want to increase their base of SD customers and stick to the local HD X 1500 plan. I guess I will switch back to Dish soon.

CMAX is hardly worth watching in HD they never have 1st or even 2nd run films

STARZ is a maybe, and there isn't much else out there worth having with the exception of some of the Voom maybe (which I have heard some good and bad about them).

Cinemax HD
Comcast SportsNet
Food Network HD
Fox HD
HGTV HD
INHD
INHD2
The Movie Channel HD
MSG Network
National Geographic Channel HD
NBA HD (DirecTV has some now)
OLN HD
Starz HD
TNT-HD
Voom HD

Anyway it has been said a billion times before, 99.999% of the time new channels that come out are rarely discussed at length before their start date; maybe a week or two. If they have anything to do with SW2 then you won't hear anything .

Heck they are still waiting for SW2 to be handed over.

Last edited:
National Geographic HD...

Well if they don't carry National Geographic HD when it starts next month then I will be major league LET DOWN. Heck, even skytv has already signed to carry them.
What good are the HD LIL to subscribers like me who already get local OTA and wouldn't watch what DTV resends anyway?

yawn.. not much there worth getting amped up about until they announce how much more they will charge....

charper1 said:

STARZ is a maybe, and there isn't much else out there worth having with the exception of some of the Voom maybe (which I have heard some good and bad about them).

Cinemax HD
Comcast SportsNet
Food Network HD
Fox HD
HGTV HD
INHD
INHD2
The Movie Channel HD
MSG Network
National Geographic Channel HD
OLN HD
Starz HD
TNT-HD
Voom HD

This is what makes choosing the right HD channels so tuff, I see a bunch of channels you've listed that I think would be great to have.

Anyway from what I read on that release things don't sound too promissing for any new national HD stuff in the near future. Also what the hell is that Direct Date crap, talk about a waste of bandwidth. It's also dissapointing that it seems like PBS, UPN & WB won't be in HD anytime soon either in the markets that have these available. Guess we'll find out more in a few days.

CWS_kahuna said:
This is what makes choosing the right HD channels so tuff, I see a bunch of channels you've listed that I think would be great to have.
Anyway from what I read on that release things don't sound too promissing for any new national HD stuff in the near future. Also what the hell is that Direct Date crap, talk about a waste of bandwidth. It's also dissapointing that it seems like PBS, UPN & WB won't be in HD anytime soon either in the markets that have these available. Guess we'll find out more in a few days.

At 67 years old, I don't think I would get much out of a date service

Maybe if they sent a hooker to my home....

New Hard-drive Personal Multimedia Recorder features high-speed secure DIRECTV transfers

Paris, Las Vegas, January 4, 2006 –– At the 2006 Consumer Electronics Show, Thomson (Euronext 18453; NYSE: TMS) today introduced the LYRA X3000 Personal Multimedia Recorder, a stunning handheld multipurpose device that will soon feature secure high-speed video transfers from select DIRECTV digital video recorders. Along with this DIRECTV2Go capability, the pocket-sized LYRA X3000 by RCA allows for the direct recording of up to 40 feature-length films from multiple video sources without using a computer and is ideal for digital subscription music content – all in the palm of your hand.

"The LYRA X3000 morphs into a virtual VCR, utilizing MPEG4 technology, with the capability for both real-time recording from any analog source or high-speed transfer of digitized content, plus the advantage of DVD quality picture performance when outputting to a TV," said Thomson's Dan Collishaw, Chief Operating Officer of Thomson's Americas Audio/Video and Accessory businesses. "These features, along with remote control operation and programmability, make the LYRA X3000 an ideal entertainment complement for the next-generation DIRECTV digital video recorders (DVRs), scheduled for deployment in 2006. A convenient software upgrade, at no cost to the consumer, is all that is required for this remarkable DIRECTV compatibility," Collishaw added.

Although compact in size, the LYRA X3000 by RCA boasts a 3.6-inch TFT ultra-bright color LCD screen with 320 x 240 resolution. The lightweight portable entertainment device weighs under eight ounces and is only 3/4 of an inch thick. The LYRA X3000 features a replaceable lithium ion battery providing for at least four hours of constant video playback on one charge.

While the X3000 is a great portable solution, it also features a Home Theater Docking Base that can be connected to a home entertainment system. The Docking Base enables easy time-shift recording of TV programs from a tuning source such as the video output of a television or cable/satellite set-top receiver. With a composite video output the X3000 is capable of displaying high-resolution photos as well as video with DVD picture quality. The X3000 is ideal for watching video content transferred from a PC, or any other source, on a television. The DIRECTV2GO compatibility further expands the LYRA X3000's capability for entertainment on the go. Digital quality content securely downloaded from compatible DIRECTV DVRs to the X3000 can be easily viewed on televisions located in other rooms. The device displays TV programs and program information in a format familiar to customers with these compatible DIRECTV DVRs. This will make it simple to navigate through the dozens of hours of DIRECTV programming that can be stored on the X3000's 20GB hard drive. A free software download is all that is required for DIRECTV2GO compatibility with the X3000. Music To Go

Compatible with both pay-per-song and subscription services, the LYRA X3000 can store hundreds of hours of mp3, Windows Media Audio, and Audible audio files – including those from popular PC-based subscription music and video services. ID3 tag song data with artist, album, song title and genre is displayed on the viewing screen. Music buffs can listen to their collection of mp3 files using one of nine playback modes, including normal play, shuffle and repeat, or by programming their own playlists. The X3000 comes bundled with earbud headphones, and also features a built-in speaker.

Photo Capability

Additionally, this versatile jukebox offers the capability to create slide shows with zoom and photo rotation, and users can add their own music for further enhancement. The X3000 can easily transfer digital photos from an SD memory card or compatible camera without needing a computer, or the consumer can move audio, video, and photos from a PC to the device with the built-in high-speed USB connection.

Other Key Features

An impressive package of convenience and performance enhancements optimize enjoyment of the LYRA X3000 including:

Voice Labeling: enables recording of audio commentary to go with photos or images stored on the device's hard drive
Auto Resume: remembers the track location and volume setting when the power is shut off and automatically returns to the location when the device is turned on
Universal 3-Device IR Remote Control: allows user to operate the X3000 and other devices from a distance

The LYRA X3000 by RCA is available in January with a suggested retail price of $399.

# # #

Certain statements in this press release, including any discussion of management expectations for future periods, constitute "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of the "safe harbor" of the U.S. Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Such forward-looking statements are based on management's current expectations and beliefs and are subject to a number of factors and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from the future results expressed or implied by the forward-looking statements due to changes in global economic and business conditions, consumer electronics markets, and regulatory factors. More detailed information on the potential factors that could affect the financial results of Thomson is contained in Thomson's filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.

About Thomson — Partner To the Media & Entertainment Industries

Thomson (Euronext Paris: 18453; NYSE: TMS) provides services, systems and technology to help its Media & Entertainment clients – content creators, content distributors and users of its technology – realize their business goals and optimize their performance in a rapidly changing technology environment. The Group is the preferred partner to the Media & Entertainment Industries through its Technicolor, Grass Valley, RCA, and Thomson brands. For more information: http://www.thomson.net.

Press Relations

Martine Esquirou +33 1 41 86 58 51 martine.esquirou@thomson.net
Julie Dardelet +33 1 41 86 65 24 julie.dardelet@thomson.net
Marie-Vincente Pasdeloup +33 1 41 86 61 13 Marie-vincente.pasdeloup@thomson.net
Investor Relations
Séverine Camp +33 1 41 86 57 23 severine.camp@thomson.net
Marie Boidot +33 1 41 86 51 00 marie.boidot@thomson.net
Laurent Sfaxi +33 1 41 86 58 83 laurent.sfaxi@thomson.net

Attachements to the press release is available on http://www.companynewsgroup.com

http://www.companynewsgroup.com/communique.asp?co_id=106598

At least they will finally have an HD receiver that will be interactive. Of course, it will be the most expensive receiver they have on the market! :)
In addition, the DIRECTV Plus HD DVR is MPEG-4 compatible, and is the first DIRECTV HD receiver with interactive capabilities.

nothing interesting for me.already receive my locals plus sub channels via ota.i demand more national hd feeds!will drop Direct TV if the present trend continues.

charper1 said:

Because HBO has so many contracts with the movie studios, Cinemax shows a lot of new movies first, before HBO even, they also show a lot of older movies in OAR, well worth it.

charper1 said:

Starz just started showing all the Disney movies in HD, before they were up-converts, for example this Saturday Kill Bill 1 and 2 will be shown in 1080i HD for the first time here in the states (it was shown in 720P in Canada before ).

Cinemax HD-worth it, a lot of cable companies has this channel
Comcast SportsNet-only certain areas for local sports
Food Network HD-does not exist yet
Fox HD-does not exist yet
HGTV HD-does not exist yet
INHD-cable
INHD2-cable
The Movie Channel HD-cable
MSG Network-only certain areas for local sports
National Geographic Channel HD-does not exist yet
OLN HD-only for certain Hockey games, always shown on the InHD 2 channel
Starz HD-worth it, a lot of cable companies has this channel
TNT-HD-Cable and E* has it, a lot better with a lot of the reruns of TV series now in HD, like Angel and Alias for example, NBA games in HD and a lot of movies in HD also ( but with commercials ) and all their new series in HD.
Voom HD-from what everyone posts about them, still reruns to the max, and now HD-Lite, only on E*.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts