DIRECTV changing local channels in OHIO

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Adios_DTV

Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
Ohio
I am a DIRECTV subscriber from Carroll County, OH who has received local channels from the Cleveland, OH market for the past several years. When I turned my TV on today, all the Cleveland stations were gone and replaced by the Wheeling, WV channels. I have no desire to receive these absolutely worthless channels. First of all, ABC and FOX are in Standard Definition, which is completely unacceptable. I have paid for HD service for many years and all of my previous local channels were HD. Secondly, I have no use for "local" newscasts out of West Virginia. I do not live there, never have, and hopefully never will. But most importantly, I am losing access to the sports teams that I have followed my entire life, most notably the Browns.

I called DTV today and they said that since my ZIP code (44695) is also in parts of Harrison County, that is the market I am in. But I am in Carroll County and the two counties have always shared my particular ZIP code, so why is it a problem now? Also, they told me that in order to receive these new "local" channels on my 2 TVs with SD equipment, I would have to upgrade to HD boxes, even though they are older SD TVs and most of the Wheeling stations are SD anyway.

I am ready to cancel my service and find something else. Do I have any rights in this matter? There was no notice of these changes and their only response was to offer me HD equipment for hundreds of dollars to attach to my old TVs to get channels that are not worth a dollar in my opinion. Is Dish Network doing this also? Can anyone recommend any good antennas that can pick up Cleveland stations in Carroll County, OH? Something must be done and I want the cheapest option possible, but DTV is about to lose my business for good. Thank you for any help that can be offered.

:welcome to Satelliteguys!
Occasionally the local channels you get are changed. It's not up to Directv which ones that is. Since you are in Carroll county, call back and make sure they know that. Carroll county gets Cleveland, Harrison county gets Wheeling. If you don't have any success with the call, then send an email to this address: ellen.filipiak@directv.com. That's the office of the president of Directv. They are very good at fixing problems like this. Good luck and make sure to come back and let us know how it went!

I am a DIRECTV subscriber from Carroll County, OH who has received local channels from the Cleveland, OH market for the past several years. When I turned my TV on today, all the Cleveland stations were gone and replaced by the Wheeling, WV channels. I have no desire to receive these absolutely worthless channels. First of all, ABC and FOX are in Standard Definition, which is completely unacceptable. I have paid for HD service for many years and all of my previous local channels were HD. Secondly, I have no use for "local" newscasts out of West Virginia. I do not live there, never have, and hopefully never will. But most importantly, I am losing access to the sports teams that I have followed my entire life, most notably the Browns.

I called DTV today and they said that since my ZIP code (44695) is also in parts of Harrison County, that is the market I am in. But I am in Carroll County and the two counties have always shared my particular ZIP code, so why is it a problem now? Also, they told me that in order to receive these new "local" channels on my 2 TVs with SD equipment, I would have to upgrade to HD boxes, even though they are older SD TVs and most of the Wheeling stations are SD anyway.

I am ready to cancel my service and find something else. Do I have any rights in this matter? There was no notice of these changes and their only response was to offer me HD equipment for hundreds of dollars to attach to my old TVs to get channels that are not worth a dollar in my opinion. Is Dish Network doing this also? Can anyone recommend any good antennas that can pick up Cleveland stations in Carroll County, OH? Something must be done and I want the cheapest option possible, but DTV is about to lose my business for good. Thank you for any help that can be offered.

:welcome to Satelliteguys!
Occasionally the local channels you get are changed. It's not up to Directv which ones that is. Since you are in Carroll county, call back and make sure they know that. Carroll county gets Cleveland, Harrison county gets Wheeling. If you don't have any success with the call, then send an email to this address: ellen.filipiak@directv.com. That's the office of the president of Directv. They are very good at fixing problems like this. Good luck and make sure to come back and let us know how it went!
Welcome to the Site !
When you call and or send email, be kind, let them know whats going on and that you've had these for many years now, but don't yell or anything like that, it won't get you anywhere ...

I "moved" to a zip code that was mostly in the Lansing DMA, but the address was in the Grand Rapids DMA so I was getting Grand Rapids then I just checked it today when I got home from a vacation and I now have the Lansing locals. Not a huge issue for me because the channels are HD (they became HD after I moved) and come in fine, but I wondered what changed or why it changed. I thought it went entirely by county but apparently DIRECTV is getting away from that.

The lines of the dmas change from time to time. Like I mentioned earlier, Directv has no control over it.

Designated Market Areas( DMA) boundaries are determined and set by the AC Nielsen Company. Periodically, boundaries are adjusted. Those who reside at the edges of DMA's can and sometimes do get shifted from one to another.
This has been an issue for quite some time and until the system is blown up and rebuilt, it will keep on being an issue.
You will now get advice from other posters on "moving".

When these little changes happen, do the cable companies also suddenly change the local channels you can receive? Seems to me most of the cable systems in counties that are near the edge of the DMA get the locals from both markets anyway... I thought D* was able to provide "significantly viewed" stations--but rarely seem to do so. If they could, I could also be getting ABC, NBC and FOX for Portland, OR 2 counties into the Seattle DMA.

The rules for cable companies are different, they are "grandfathered" and were set before satellite TV existed. DirecTv has to follow the FCC rules which are based on DMA.

Saw a thread on the Directv forum from someone in Knox County, Ohio. His locals were suddenly changed from Columbus (50 miles away) to Cleveland (100 miles away). Looking at a map, he sure looks like he belongs in the Columbus DMA.

i sent direc a email about our local and direc replied .they go by the neilson media research in areas for certain station.here the number to call TASA AT I 866 785 5518 extension 29287.Good luck.That tasa at Direc tv advocate team.

according to the Directv site Carroll county gets Cleveland locals. Call Directv and speak to the technical group. Ask them to verify what county they show your address in. If its wrong have them change it and explain in your county its Cleveland locals but the next county is different.

The zip I use covers 2 counties too....one gives me Minneapolis locals (11 locals...most in HD) + Mankato CBS (Mankato is a 3 county DMA with CBS & Fox only)
The other county would give me only CBS, ABC and NBC in HD. Fox in SD only + National PBS

When I set it up they screwed up and put me in the "bad" county. So technical support changed it to the right county

When these little changes happen, do the cable companies also suddenly change the local channels you can receive? Seems to me most of the cable systems in counties that are near the edge of the DMA get the locals from both markets anyway...
cable has different rules. Usually its "whatever they can pick up". Good example is Mankato, MN. They are 90 miles from Minneapolis and their market is only CBS/Fox station.
Cable gets Big 4 & PBS from Minneapolis, CBS & Fox in Mankato, ABC and PBS from Austin, MN (about 70 miles east of there)
Directv depending on location in Mankato gives you either Minneapolis + Mankato CBS or Mankato CBS/Fox and Minneapolis ABC & NBC

I thought D* was able to provide "significantly viewed" stations--but rarely seem to do so. If they could, I could also be getting ABC, NBC and FOX for Portland, OR 2 counties into the Seattle DMA.
IN very rare cases they offer it. I get CBS from Mankato even though I have Minneapolis locals. The only reason is the county I am in the studios for KEYC CBS Mankato are in there.....so they give us that too.

When these little changes happen, do the cable companies also suddenly change the local channels you can receive? Seems to me most of the cable systems in counties that are near the edge of the DMA get the locals from both markets anyway... I thought D* was able to provide "significantly viewed" stations--but rarely seem to do so. If they could, I could also be getting ABC, NBC and FOX for Portland, OR 2 counties into the Seattle DMA.

Very rarely. I don't think there are more than a handful of areas that get them. Here in CT we do. Some counties get a few stations from NYC, some get a few from Boston, still others get RI stations.

Very rarely. I don't think there are more than a handful of areas that get them. Here in CT we do. Some counties get a few stations from NYC, some get a few from Boston, still others get RI stations.

Yes, the whole "Significantly Viewed " thing is way overblown, which it's hardly ever mentioned and still overblown ... thus meaning it is rarely ever done.

Not sure why this is, I would have expected to be able to get neighboring locals, as they would be considered SV channels, the local cable does show some of them.
I know the Cable rules are different.

Another thing they could do if they wanted to make more money on locals is to offer you locals from any of the other cities in your Spot Beam as long as you also get your own (we all get our own generally speaking), I know that my Spot Beam in Toledo covers Columbus, Cleveland, Cincy, Detroit, Indy, and the very outskirts of Chicago, now this is from years past , but they still use the same Spot Beams they used back then.

So in essence, I could order the Columbus Locals for Football (Buckeyes) season and the Detroit for the Summer (Tigers news) ... Now I CAN turn the OTA antenna and get the Detroit locals and I do, but the Digital signal doesn't reach the other markets with my antenna.

Just an idea, IF there aren't rules against that happening.

The rules for cable companies are different, they are "grandfathered" and were set before satellite TV existed. DirecTv has to follow the FCC rules which are based on DMA.
not "grandfathered" Just not covered by the satellite locals law

There can also be a problem if your service address shows one county but you are actually in another. Happens quite often in very rural areas where your service address might be a mailing address something like RR23 - it might show as the county where your local post office is located. Sometimes you might need to send DirecTv an official document (tax bill maybe) from your actual county.
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/packP...assetId=cms_local_channels&_requestid=2819403

Iceberg is correct Directv sites says your zip for your county is supposed to get the Clevland locals.

I live less than 1 mile from the DMA boundary for Denver but receive the Colorado Springs stations. Denver offers twice as many stations and much better news coverage. But DirecTV won't make an exception and I can no longer receive Denver OTA after the switch to digital. I really think we need a revision to the "Significantly Viewed" rules, even if we have to pay for the additional channels.

Direct TV can give you SV, if indeed they really are SV. But they don't have to. There is nothing that makes Direct TV give SV,or prevents it, it's a business decision.

Here is the list for Carroll County OH;
Carroll
WTRF-TV, 7, Wheeling, WV
WTOV-TV, 9, Steubenville, OH (formerly WSTV)
WKYC-TV, 3, Cleveland, OH
WEWS-TV, 5, Cleveland, OH
WJW, 8, Cleveland, OH
+WOIO, 19, Shaker Heights, OH
KDKA-TV, 2, Pittsburgh, PA
WTAE-TV, 4, Pittsburgh, PA
WPXI, 11, Pittsburgh, PA (formerly WIIC)

What's strange, there is only one WV channel listed, yet the OP is said to be in the DMA for all of them. Note that the DMA stations for a County are also part of the list.

For my County, they list a SV network channel (ABC) very hard to get, but do not list one (NBC) that is actually easier to get than the one in the DMA in some areas.

Last edited:
I live less than 1 mile from the DMA boundary for Denver but receive the Colorado Springs stations. Denver offers twice as many stations and much better news coverage. But DirecTV won't make an exception and I can no longer receive Denver OTA after the switch to digital. I really think we need a revision to the "Significantly Viewed" rules, even if we have to pay for the additional channels.

I think your case, and others like it, are the reason they generally turn a blind eye to "movers." You can just tell them you are set up at a different location that gets those channels and you are golden (as long as you are in the spotbeam footprint).

Status
Please reply by conversation.