Directv Com1000 I’m building

Just curious, in what ballpark would a "modern" HD capable/4K possible COM2000/COM3000 come out if you wanted to do up to say 10 satellite and four OTA channels at once (with a maximum of 12 different channels tunable, not sure how many QAM channels that adds up to if they can share) if you bought new (just the COM system, not the DSWMs etc. or rack) Are these ever on eBay or only the really old stuff like COM1000? Wondering if I am ever forced off my H20s how this option would compare with buying a bunch of H25s (and figuring out another solution for OTA, since they don't seem to want to support the LCC on the H2x/HR2x)

I know I'd also need pro:idiom boxes on each TV which is probably $100/ea as it is so that alone is already about the same cost as the H25s - i.e. I'm sure the numbers wouldn't work but wonder just how badly they wouldn't work. If rumors are true and Directv is no longer manufacturing H25s I'm not sure what their solution will be for commercial going forward. I had been expecting them to support HS17 + clients (without DVR functionality, obviously) but there hasn't been any sign of that and if H25s are no longer being made maybe these COM systems will eventually be it, especially if you want a reasonable way to do 4K someday. A few years down the road the H20's ATSC 1.0 tuners might become a limitation, so I need to consider they may not be useful forever even if they last forever.

Just curious, in what ballpark would a "modern" HD capable/4K possible COM2000/COM3000 come out if you wanted to do up to say 10 satellite and four OTA channels at once (with a maximum of 12 different channels tunable, not sure how many QAM channels that adds up to if they can share) if you bought new (just the COM system, not the DSWMs etc. or rack) Are these ever on eBay or only the really old stuff like COM1000? Wondering if I am ever forced off my H20s how this option would compare with buying a bunch of H25s (and figuring out another solution for OTA, since they don't seem to want to support the LCC on the H2x/HR2x)

I know I'd also need pro:idiom boxes on each TV which is probably $100/ea as it is so that alone is already about the same cost as the H25s - i.e. I'm sure the numbers wouldn't work but wonder just how badly they wouldn't work. If rumors are true and Directv is no longer manufacturing H25s I'm not sure what their solution will be for commercial going forward. I had been expecting them to support HS17 + clients (without DVR functionality, obviously) but there hasn't been any sign of that and if H25s are no longer being made maybe these COM systems will eventually be it, especially if you want a reasonable way to do 4K someday. A few years down the road the H20's ATSC 1.0 tuners might become a limitation, so I need to consider they may not be useful forever even if they last forever.

Well one of the techs that regularly posts on dbstalk IIRC, did say he was informed AT&T/DIRECTV was converting their remaining stock of H44 Genie Lites into single tuner "set-back-box" (or "SBB", nowadays in the age of flatscreens of course) receivers for the commercial industry. By firmware disabling 4 of their tuners, their WH server capability, and their e-SATA HDD option of course.

Which with exceptional of removing the HDD option, seems terribly wasteful to me. Since it would be much more efficient to let the H44 keep the first two capabilities as a server to feed clients if necessary, throughout a business establishment installation.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Well one of the techs that regularly posts on dbstalk IIRC, did say he was informed AT&T/DIRECTV was converting their remaining stock of H44 Genie Lites into single tuner "set-back-box" (or "SBB", nowadays in the age of flatscreens of course) receivers for the commercial industry. By firmware disabling 4 of their tuners, their WH server capability, and their e-SATA HDD option of course.

Which with exceptional of removing the HDD option, seems terribly wasteful to me. Since it would be much more efficient to let the H44 keep the first two capabilities as a server to feed clients if necessary, throughout a business establishment installation.

It makes sense as I haven’t sold or installed one since they came out a few years ago.

With the new customer pricing including a DVR, there are few customers if any not wanting a DVR.

I had one sold, idiot customer made me order the H44 insisting she didn’t need a DVR and actually told me to stop trying to sell her stuff she didn’t need.

Go to the house, do the install and right before we go up activate, friend visits who got Directv a few days and and then she decides on a DVR.

So wastes my time, now I had to drive back to the store and modify the work order.

Then I was stuck with the H44 that I had to special order just for her install.

Then played the “I want to cancel my order” game, if I didn’t get her a Genie.

I was pissed, but thankfully bit my tongue and didn’t say anything. Thank god I didn’t activate it before the friend visited.

It makes sense as I haven’t sold or installed one since they came out a few years ago.

With the new customer pricing including a DVR, there are few customers if any not wanting a DVR.

I had one sold, idiot customer made me order the H44 insisting she didn’t need a DVR and actually told me to stop trying to sell her stuff she didn’t need.

Go to the house, do the install and right before we go up activate, friend visits who got Directv a few days and and then she decides on a DVR.

So wastes my time, now I had to drive back to the store and modify the work order.

Then I was stuck with the H44 that I had to special order just for her install.

Then played the “I want to cancel my order” game, if I didn’t get her a Genie.

I was pissed, but thankfully bit my tongue and didn’t say anything. Thank god I didn’t activate it before the friend visited.
Couldn't you have just ordered the e-SATA HDD for it from DIRECTV at the time?

can the software deal with more then 1 server on the same network?

can the software deal with more then 1 server on the same network?

They aren't using their whole home capability since they are being used standalone.

They offer a combination of HR54+C61K (one per TV) as their solution for 4K for commercial accounts. I don't know what sort of special requirements for hooking them up there may be (i.e. do you to have to separate that pair from other stuff via BSFs) but that's the only case where Directv shows they are willing to support multiple servers in use at once.

They aren't using their whole home capability since they are being used standalone.

They offer a combination of HR54+C61K (one per TV) as their solution for 4K for commercial accounts. I don't know what sort of special requirements for hooking them up there may be (i.e. do you to have to separate that pair from other stuff via BSFs) but that's the only case where Directv shows they are willing to support multiple servers in use at once.

What’s the point where there is so little 4K

What’s the point where there is so little 4K

I guess there must be some bars/restaurants that wanted to show the few 4K games Directv offers.

Assuming there will eventually be some real full time 4K sports channels, Directv will have to come up with a better solution for the commercial side.

I guess there must be some bars/restaurants that wanted to show the few 4K games Directv offers.

Assuming there will eventually be some real full time 4K sports channels, Directv will have to come up with a better solution for the commercial side.

Are there actually bars/restaurants with 4k games? Wish there was a list. My guess would be there are very few if any that actually have any 4k games in the US.

Are there actually bars/restaurants with 4k games? Wish there was a list. My guess would be there are very few if any that actually have any 4k games in the US.

I would assume there must be some, otherwise Directv would not offer that solution to them for watching 4K.

I don't really believe the resolution would make much difference in most bars/restaurants, since you usually aren't sitting close enough. The HDR makes a difference, and when 4Kp120 comes the faster frame rate will really make a difference. When that arrives, that's when I would start taking a look at it - but I'd have to upgrade the receivers for everything at once. Not going to show 4K on some TVs and HD on others, they won't be in sync. I lived through that when they were rolling out HD, and ended up having to upgrade all the receivers to avoid the problem of the HD channels being on a 5-10 second delay.

Reactions: longhorn23
Fixed the guide today

IMG_4912.JPG

Where did you get the colored coax? I had previously found a place that sold Gepco RG6 (designed for HD-SDI) by the foot in a variety of colors, but they don't any more. Now I can't find colored coax anywhere that isn't in bulk. I realize you're probably buying in bulk too, but maybe you know of a place that sells smaller quantities?

Where did you get the colored coax? I had previously found a place that sold Gepco RG6 (designed for HD-SDI) by the foot in a variety of colors, but they don't any more. Now I can't find colored coax anywhere that isn't in bulk. I realize you're probably buying in bulk too, but maybe you know of a place that sells smaller quantities?

It’s mini RG59, sold in 250 foot spools. With such a short run the loss does not make a difference

I can also get RG6

Black
White
Green
Orange
Yellow
Red

It’s not cheap, you need to buy a 1000 box

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)