Directv committed to HDLITE!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I read it too, and wonder why LEM only has one post...THIS POST...on that forum. Regardless of the "authenticated email", I'm calling troll.

CPanther95 said:
We all know it's true, it just never would be officially admitted by D*. If the sh** hit the fan for this CSR, it would be ironic that a CSR would get in trouble for being too knowledgable. :)

Probably the CSR is a D* HD customer also. That is why he/she knew about it.

No way, no how! Renegade CSR, (lol) maybe. CSR that thinks they are smarter than everyone else, could be. But there is no way they would admit to or back up that statement. I was born during the day...but not yest......

Local OTA channels do similar butchering of HD by trying to cram an HD channel plus several subchannels of SD crap into the bandwidth originally intended for ONE HD channel, and picture quality suffers. Our CBS, NBC & PBS local affiliates all do it.

It's all about quantity over quality.

arxaw said:
It's all about quantity over quality.

It's all about whatever makes the most money. Quantity over quality is only part of it.

syphix said:
I read it too, and wonder why LEM only has one post...THIS POST...on that forum. Regardless of the "authenticated email", I'm calling troll.

Agreed. I'm not locking this, but this is pretty close to the BS alarm going off

Hopefully whether its BS or not, this will send off an alarm to D* that its customers prefer better Resolution over quantity. Frankly, Im tired of the HDLite genre and hope D* wake-up and give us true HD! For instance, I got two H20 at home and has access to my locals in HD via sat, but I still tune to the local OTA feed because it just looks better! Im pretty sure D* is aware of HDLite, especially since our good friend Mr. Cuban has spoken of about his feelings of how the industry has accepted this unwanted standard! What really ticked me off about the email is the fact D* is "STILL" advertising themselves as "LEADER IN THE HD INDUSTRY" ! WTF!

the AVS thread got locked before the answer was given so ill ask here....how can you objectively define/quantify/prove hdlite is being used by any provider? Forget about what you see on tv, i mean, are there tivo logs or some other way of looking how big file sizes are etc?

In other words, assuming only 1 person in the world was doing all this lite stuff, and never told, how could you prove it's lite? (besides a worse pic)

newsposter -- did you read that web page? There's not only visual degradation, but also the bit rate is much, much lower.
There are thresholds for minimum bitrates at specific resolutions.

I just hooked up a D* H20 and added the HD channels, hoping someday to get my HD locals. I still have E* and a 921, and the PQ from the 921 on the exact same channels is easily noticable by all to be far superior to the H20. I'm using a 50" Pioneer Plasma, and there really is no comparison. The 921 blows the H20 away.

Kinda sad, really......................

Sure wish I could get over the air HD locals. :(

Hogarth said:
newsposter -- did you read that web page? There's not only visual degradation, but also the bit rate is much, much lower.
There are thresholds for minimum bitrates at specific resolutions.

guilty...read it now..thx

What's funny I heard our local PBS station saying something that they were adopting the HDLite thing so they can have their sub-channels going. The announcer on the show about HDTV mentioned that HDLite is the latest in high-resolution. I wanted to go to the station and kick his rear-end. More people need to speak out and put this HDlite out of it's misery.

I have read many complaints about the HD Lite thing.

My view "this may make many people upset" GET OVER IT.
If D* does not compress the channels than they need more bandwidth right. More bandwidth means more transponders needed thus meaning more money out of D* pockets which trickles down to use the customer and everyone hates price increases. I do agree that they could get rid of some of the HSN crap and use this bandwidth for HD, but right now this technology is just a couple of years old. It will get better just give it time.

Now give me your hate replies.

No hate replies as I agree, but they are bound by laws that require so many public interest, shopping and religion channels vs the total number of channels. Thats one of the main reasons they have that crap.

Plywodstatebum said:
No one broadcast Full HD so I guess it will never change unless people complain.

If you don't complain and let them know you are not satisfied with "lite HD', they will leave it that way. A satellite provider's main concern is getting as many signals into a satellite as possible, as we have seen here consumers are more concerned with picture quality.

At least when you complain they get the message that consumers are not happy with it.

lou_do said:
If you don't complain and let them know you are not satisfied with "lite HD', they will leave it that way. A satellite provider's main concern is getting as many signals into a satellite as possible, as we have seen here consumers are more concerned with picture quality.

At least when you complain they get the message that consumers are not happy with it.

The thing with complaints is that they have to reach the right people.

This mess started with legislation in Congress. The so-called DTV-transition is a mess created and mis-managed by Congress.

Congress is where it's got to be dealt-with. Complain to your senator that HD-Lite is not why you boosted the economy when you bought your big-screen; and tell them that witout absolutely stunning picture quality, the masses won't spend their money on more big-screens.

newsposter,

I was wondering if you either didn't visit the link I posted or didn't read the page.....

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)