Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
DIRECTV Continues 3D Leadership with Exclusive Full-Length 3D Opera and Even More Hollywood Movies in 3D This Spring

DIRECTV Delivers Exclusive U.S. 3D Broadcast of Donizetti's ‘Lucrezia Borgia,' Staged by Acclaimed British Film Director Mike Figgis This April

In Addition, ‘Tangled 3D,' ‘Tron: Legacy 3D,' and ‘Jackass 3D' Are Among the Hit Movies that will be Available in 3D On DIRECTV CINEMA™

EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- 3D is in full bloom on DIRECTV this spring with a colorful variety of new programming to choose from, including the exclusive, U.S. broadcast of the full-length 3D opera, Donizetti's Lucrezia Borgia, directed by acclaimed British filmmaker, Mike Figgis, and several 3D Hollywood movies — all available on the DIRECTV CINEMA platform. DIRECTV offers more 3D programming than any other television provider in the country.

Told through the visionary directorial style of Mike Figgis (Leaving Las Vegas), Lucrezia Borgia, featuring one of opera's most notorious femme fatales in the title role, tells the tale of murder, torture and incest as it follows one of history's first crime families. The dramatic opera, performed by the English National Opera (ENO), stars soprano Claire Rutter, American tenor Michael Fabiano and is conducted by Paul Daniel.

Interwoven throughout the opera's interludes will be a series of short films, directed by Figgis, that present the back story of Lucrezia and the Borgia family, behind-the-scenes interviews with Figgis and the cast, as well as Donzetti's original score. The 3D production of Lucrezia Borgia, a collaboration between Sky Arts and ENO, was filmed live on Feb. 23, 2011 at the London Coliseum and will be available on DIRECTV CINEMA beginning this April.

In addition, DIRECTV CINEMA (Ch. 104) is adding a variety of Hollywood movies in 3D to its lineup, including Piranha 3D (Now Playing), Jackass 3D (March 8), Tangled 3D (March 29), Tron: Legacy 3D (April 5), for $6.99 each.

"We are constantly looking for ways to provide our 3D fans with the most compelling lineup of 3D programming available," said Derek Chang, executive vice president, Content Strategy and Development, DIRECTV. "Mike Figgis' unique production of Donizetti's Lucrezia Borgia and Hollywood hits like Tangled and Tron: Legacy 3D are the perfect content to showcase 3D technology at its best."

n3D™, powered by Panasonic (Ch. 103), the nation's first 24/7 3D network, is available at no additional cost to millions of DIRECTV HD customers. In addition to exclusive 3D coverage of special events such as the 2010 MLB All-Star Game and the 2010 U.S. Open Tennis Championship, the n3D channel also gives customers access to exclusive, original 3D programming such as DIRECTV's award-winning series "Guitar Center Sessions" and "Guy's Big Bite" in 3D. The 3D programming available both on n3D and DIRECTV CINEMA are all powered by Panasonic. DIRECTV also offers 3net and ESPN 3D as part of its 3D programming platform.

DIRECTV HD customers received a free software upgrade that enables them to have access to the 3D channels on DIRECTV. DIRECTV HD customers will need a 3D television set and 3D glasses to view 3D programming on DIRECTV. For more information on n3D™ powered by Panasonic or DIRECTV CINEMA™, please visit DIRECTV: DIRECTV 3D TV or DIRECTV: TV Listings: Movies.

Sorry not to be a negative person...But a bit more national HD would be nice :)

And it is taking up no additional space. Just adding to what they are already doing on those channels.

S~

They could add more nationals if they choose to. They're choosing not to.

The way I see it, unless Directv actually loses subs for at least 2 consecutive quarters, then they're not gonna bother to add anymore national HD and will continue to add 3D until the next big thing happens to television.

And it is taking up no additional space. Just adding to what they are already doing on those channels.

S~

They could add more nationals if they choose to. They're choosing not to.

For some reason people keep missing the fact one has nothing to do with the other...

Does anybody even KNOW ANYBODY with a 3D TV?
LG said in 2010 it hoped to sell 1 million 3D tv`s, giving LG 25% of the GLOBAL market
"My cousin knows a guy that bought a 3D TV.............blah,blah"

LG said in 2010 it hoped to sell 1 million 3D tv`s, giving LG 25% of the GLOBAL market

I know of two people, not including myself...and another looking to get one in a month or so. so I just made up your not knowing someone plus I still have some to spare :D

My Brother has one, they can't keep 3D kits or Glasses in stock at 3 different places locally which tells me they are selling(at least around here)... and when I was shopping around I was not the only one at those 3 stores looking at 3D...

Same here...Bring it ON!!! It's only a matter of time before Direct TV put together a 3D package to boast revenue. A package similar to the HD package.

Last edited:
I have a close friend who has one. I've seen the 3D on D* on his and it is amazing, although I can't look at it for more than 15 minutes without my eyes getting tired.

Same here...Bring it ON!!! It's only a matter of time before Direct TV put together a 3D package to boast revenue. A package similar to the HD package.

I can only hope for your sake any 3D package is better than the DTV HD Pack.
(I`ve been receiving the HD Pack for free and I still can`t find much to watch, much less pay for, but that`s another thread I`m sure).

I know of two people, not including myself...and another looking to get one in a month or so. so I just made up your not knowing someone plus I still have some to spare :D

Stuart628- That means you and your friends have a large % of 3D tv in NE Ohio. (I live in Stow)

I can only hope for your sake any 3D package is better than the DTV HD Pack.
(I`ve been receiving the HD Pack for free and I still can`t find much to watch, much less pay for, but that`s another thread I`m sure).

I said that in another post. Come on... Crime and Investigation (HD). I would rather have AMC, E...etc. I'm looking forward to watching my first 3D ESPN program tonight. I hope that I will not be disappointed.

I meant to add this on the original. I messed it up.

3D TV fails to fire imagination | News | Rapid TV News

I think maybe D12 has issues, that`s why there is no new HD, so DTV pushes 3D on working transponders to brag "leadership, ahead of the curve"

Sorry dang thing didn't keep my formatting. The Panasonic Plasma VT25 is the best thing on the mark in 3D so far. I have an LG 47LX9500. I read some horrible reviews about the 3D part of the TV before I purchased it. My plan was only to use the 2D features. I narrowed my search to the Vizo and LG because they both had 480 refresh rates and FULL LED's (47, 42 and 55 are edge lite LED's). I purchased the Vizo on Dec 22 and returned it on Dec 23. When I watched a 3D movie, saw halo's on the right and left. I was so turned off. The 2D picture was great, stayed up all night watching movies, wanted to see the difference in the 1080i that I had and this full LED tv. Now gun shy of LG because I had read that about LG in all reviews. But chose it because of LG's rep. I'm happy with my choice. My the TV arrived some of the bad comments were correct regarding the 480hz. Ok, I was able to live with them. On a whim, I ordered the 3D glasses they arrived on Tuesday. Put my movies in and was shocked, was expecting the same thing from LG as I got from Vizo...halos everywhere. That was not the case. It was perfect but it was far clearer 3D than the viso. It was like the movie theater. Don't know if LG fixed their issue with the firmware upgrade and new glasses AG S110. But I like it. Now know why news says kids eyes are going bad, because I didn't want to take my glasses off. Now I did see Vizo like halos in DTV program with animation boxing. But other DTV 3D programs have been great. Looking forward to watching ESPN3D tonight. Funny thing is I look at Samsung and Sony at Best Buy, went to multiple stores. Salespeople kept pushing me toward those tv's every time I asked about the LG then would say bad things about it. I even asked them to connect a Bluray to LG so that I can see it, they told them they couldn't BB didn't get the sale from me. BB would show content that would look best on Samsumg and Sony...they put trash on the other HDTV's to turn customers off. My advice do plenty of research before you make your choice. I researched for 5 weeks (spec sheets, HTDV Glossaries..etc) before narrowing down to LG and Vizo...thought Vizo had changed but they still put lousy components in their products.

I have been debating going with the Mistubishi DLP for 3D I think I am going to wait a bit untill Novemeber...But I must admit (even my wife was razzing me about it) I was one that at first said no 3D for me, I am starting to get into the hype, I guess thats why I am a "Satellite Guy" :)

PS....I would still like some new National non 3D HD :) But thats for another day

A neighbour has one and wondering why all the shows are not 3D. The sad thing he don't even a blu-ray or a video service that offers 3D.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts