Directv csr manure?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jjnemoiii

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 29, 2004
My LNB is leaking, 0% signal twice, found out through great help from jtwex on this great forum. Called Directv CSR, please just send out new LNB. I did all of install and aiming for 5LNB system, I can handle this myself if I get a new LNB. One tech says he'll send it for $60.00, no less. I'll go back to Dish Network instead, so he passes me on to next CSR. "He can't send that, a tech must be sent out with an all new dish/lnb". IF I sign up for protection plan, service call is no charge. My equipment is only one year old. Got sick of it all, she dropped protection plan price to $.99 instead of $5.99(?). Tech is coming next week. WHY? This way is more expensive / time consuming for all involved. Did I get the shaft I feel like I got?

Nope you are not getting the shaft, in most case they are just trying to make sure things are standardized and no fault of short-cutting DIY'ers. It doesn't matter how good any of us are; this is why they want it this way; to try to acheive consistency.

There are way to many DIYers that messed up then demanded D* fix it free vs good ones, which causes them to do this.

IMO if your are going to DIY you should also inure the cost of correcting DIY mistakes/problems either by accepting the costs to send a tech or acquiring the parts to fix the problem yourself either with cash or via manufactures warranty. Why should D* pay for what you elected to circumvent? Your not getting shafted, they offered to send you a new LNB for $60 which is what they apparently charge.

What you did get shafted on is now your in a 1 year PP contract at $5.99 a month, verses buying a new lnb from say ebay for <$20

technically if you put a new LNB on your dish it needs to be dithered again... and you cant do that with out a signal meter especially on a 5 LNB KA/KU so you need a tech anyway!!! get the service plan... its worth it in the end

technically if you put a new LNB on your dish it needs to be dithered again... and you cant do that with out a signal meter especially on a 5 LNB KA/KU so you need a tech anyway!!! get the service plan... its worth it in the end

Hardly....
Many of us have dithered our own dishes with and without a signal meter.

IF you have knowledge of how it works and experience setting up dishes, it's not all that hard.

If not, then Yes your better off to have D* do the work for you.

Jimbo

AND,

after you replace the LNB it still doesn't work, then what? The LNB is not too tough to replace but there are other defects that will cause similar problems. Look at the deal with the protection plan as buying a trouble shooter with spares and fittings.

Joe

I'm positive its the LNB. Both times I got 0%, I took off just the LNB, brought it inside, dried it out and put it back out there. Right back to low 90's for signal. As far as reaiming it, I set it all up and aimed it in the first place, including first time aiming. My $40.00 Radio Shack meter worked fine. Most TP's are between 88-94%. That said, I well understand the DIY issues Directv has to deal with, and am ready for the tech to come out.

I'm positive its the LNB. Both times I got 0%, I took off just the LNB, brought it inside, dried it out and put it back out there. Right back to low 90's for signal. As far as reaiming it, I set it all up and aimed it in the first place, including first time aiming. My $40.00 Radio Shack meter worked fine. Most TP's are between 88-94%. That said, I well understand the DIY issues Directv has to deal with, and am ready for the tech to come out.

It probably is the LNB.

How water is getting in is a question. Replacement should fix it. Can you identify a crack? A loose fitting that you move each time you service the LNB could make you nuts.

Are there drip loops at each side of the ground block? I was the third guy in on a service situation like yours after the LNB was replaced. It was all the fittings that had the water and not the LNB.

Get the tech to check the fittings. After the LNB is replaced try shaking all exterior wire and look for changes.

DTV & the CSR are on your side. They want your problem to go away. They don't care what the problem is because their answer to all service issues is: send a tech and charge the cx $60.00.

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)