Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
DirecTV Defends Its Play for Extra Innings
By Jon Lafayette
http://www.tvweek.com/news.cms?newsId=11644

DirecTV on Friday defended its plan to acquire exclusive rights to Major League Baseball’s Extra Innings out-of-market games package for $700 million over seven years.

The cable industry has stirred up opposition to the unannounced, still-being-negotiated deal. Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., asked the FCC to look into the deal on behalf of Red Sox fans who might not be able to see games when they’re not in Boston.

In a letter Friday to Monica Shah Desai, chief of the FCC’s Media Bureau, DirecTV president-CEO Chase Carey said DirecTV will create a better deal for consumers by investing to make Extra Innings a better product than it was while on cable; he said no governmental action is called for.

Mr. Carey also asserted that no one will be denied access to the great American pastime. Consumers who can switch to DirecTV from cable will be provided free equipment and installation, and the 5,000 people in the country who have the package and cannot receive DirecTV will have access to the games through MLB.com.

Mr. Carey added that policies set by Congress and the FCC allow for some programming to be provided on an exclusive basis.

In his letter, Mr. Carey described what the Extra Innings service would look like if the satellite TV provider completes its deal with MLB. Most games will be provided in high-definition on satellite—something cable operators don’t have the bandwidth for now—and the games will be accompanied by the Strike Zone channel, which will deliver live cut-ins of games throughout the country as well as scores and statistics.

“DirecTV will do for Extra Innings what we have done for other programming: transform a service that had enjoyed limited popularity when offered by multiple [distributors] into a fan’s dream,” Mr. Carey said.

DirecTV also is agreeing to carry MLB’s Baseball Channel, which will be available to other distributors as well.

According to Mr. Carey, only 230,000 non-DirecTV subscribers purchased Extra Innings last year. (About 270,000 DirecTV customers bought the package.)

“The only real barriers to cable customers who want to switch to DirecTV are imposed by cable,” Mr. Carey added. “Cable penalizes such customers by increasing the price of Internet service if a customer drops cable’s video service. Furthermore, if cable did not prohibit a direct connection between the Internet and the set-top box, MLB.com could easily be viewed on television sets.”

In his letter, Mr. Carey that more than 400 games are televised in most broadcast markets by local stations, regional sports networks, Fox, TBS and ESPN.

“In the end, this transaction will not reduce the access of any baseball fan to his or her home team games or to the many out-of-town games MLB makes available each year outside of Extra Innings,” he said.

Last week Echostar blasted exclusive sports deals as anti-competitive and anti-consumer.

“There is a line that must be drawn between a healthy, competitive market and one that deprives most Americans of the sports they love. In our opinion, that line has been crossed," EchoStar said in a statement.

EchoStar called the potential Extra Innings deal “particularly egregious” because “we will be forced to take away valuable programming from existing subscribers who depend on EchoStar to receive all their television channels.”

Again they fail to report that this is also effecting CableTV, they keep trying to make it a Dish vs. DirecTV issue when its a DirecTV vs. everyone issue.

Again they fail to report that this is also effecting CableTV, they keep trying to make it a Dish vs. DirecTV issue when its a DirecTV vs. everyone issue.

Why do you say that when in the release he says:

Mr. Carey also asserted that no one will be denied access to the great American pastime. Consumers who can switch to DirecTV from cable will be provided free equipment and installation, and the 5,000 people in the country who have the package and cannot receive DirecTV will have access to the games through MLB.com.

if he really believes that "only" 5000 subs will lose access he is really really smoking crack..

Because a lot of folks with cable cant get Satellite TV PERIOD, dont matter if its DirecTV or Dish Network.

“The only real barriers to cable customers who want to switch to DirecTV are imposed by cable,” Mr. Carey added. “Cable penalizes such customers by increasing the price of Internet service if a customer drops cable’s video service. Furthermore, if cable did not prohibit a direct connection between the Internet and the set-top box, MLB.com could easily be viewed on television sets.”

Eh? Where's your internet-enabled STB, Mr. Carey?

That being said - I support D* here. If they pony up the $$$, they should get it.

Because a lot of folks with cable cant get Satellite TV PERIOD, dont matter if its DirecTV or Dish Network.

That's true. But while it's a lot of folks, it looks like there aren't that many that actually have MLB-EI since the combined total from E* and all the cable companies that offered the package are less thet D*'s numbers (assuming the numbers posted are correct). So in reality it could be a very small number that be effected.

But then again, back to my original question, it looks like to me they mentioned it and have a plan in place to help the effected cable/E* customers migrate to D* if they wanted to.

I don't know that government action is required either but I have no problem whatsoever with consumers taking a stand and letting MLB know that the y do not care for the deal.

Asa consumer I wish that there were fewer exclusive deals. But this one is worse than most because it makes it harder for me to watch the Red Sox. I mean talk about a lowlife, underhanded, despicable business practice!

Sounds like DirecTV is starting to get nervous and is starting to sweat. If its such a done deal why not announce it then.

Sadly DirectTV had the monopoly of MLB EI and several other sports packages and let it slip away and now there crying when others object to them getting it back. They were so blind sided with NFL ST they let the rest slip away and no there desperate to get every one to switch from Dish Network and cable.

Sounds like DirecTV is starting to get nervous and is starting to sweat. If its such a done deal why not announce it then.

Sadly DirectTV had the monopoly of MLB EI and several other sports packages and let it slip away and now there crying when others object to them getting it back. They were so blind sided with NFL ST they let the rest slip away and no there desperate to get every one to switch from Dish Network and cable.

So DirecTV was the only one who bid on this exclusive?.Or DirecTV was the highest
bidder?.The only one to fault here is MLB because they want the money.:hungry:
I guess you could fault DirecTV for having the deepest pockets.:rolleyes: .But on the plus side look at all the profit DISH made.:dev

Robert,
Would you care to show where D* had a monopoly on the MLB E.I. package and let it get away ???
Seems to me that all providers that wanted it were able to get it.

Jimbo

Directv was the only provider to orinigally carry MLB EI back in the 90s. Then once the contract was up D* did not renew for exclusive rights, so Cable was able to offer it as well as D*. E* got on the MLB EI wagon late, I think only 5 years ago.

Yes when I first signed with Dish network in May 1998 I chose them because Dish Network carried the Super stations package and I was able to watch the home town Los Angles Dodgers on KTLA back then and the birth place Yankees and Mets on WWOR and WPIX as well as the Colorado Rockies on KWGN and of course the Cubs and White Sox on WGN and the Braves on WTBS. . . .. Couple the with OTA Baltimore Orioles games as well as HTS- Baltimore-Washington and I had a mini MLB EI package.

At that time DirecTV held the exclusive rights to NFL ST, MLB EI, NBA LP, NHL CI MLS DK. First DirecTV let the soccer package go, then Hockey became available to Dish Network, then a year or so later Basketball became available and finaly in 2004 baseball was available to Dish Network as DirecTV kept pouring there money into NFL ST.

DirecTV now realizes they cant make all there money with the NFL and are trying desperately to revert to the old ways. After all 230,000 subscribers on Dish Network (if that figure is correct) means 230,000 less subscribers n DirecTV.

Face DirecTV has realized they made a big blunder in letter in the exclusive sports packages slip away.

After all 230,000 subscribers on Dish Network (if that figure is correct) means 230,000 less subscribers n DirecTV.

They way I read it, it's not that E* had 230K MLB-EI subscribers, that's the total number of subscribers, cable or E*, that have the package, with the majority still taking it via D*.

Robert, your ill will toward D* is clouding your views. Enjoy your E* I will enjoy my MLB EI.

Last edited:
Scott,

I think it is more the other way around. A lot of people can not get cable if they live in the middle of nowhere, but they can get satellite. Also, like he said only 230,000 people subscribed from cable providers all across the country compared to 270,000 with D*. That is pretty sad for the amount of cable people out there. I'll admit D* has been pretty slow with there HD offerings, but they are getting there and when they do watch cable. D* does a good job of taking a product and making it better. The NFL package is a great example.

But still whether your a cable or satellite customer there should be NO exclusiveness to no one.Everybody should have the right to whatever package or programming they can get.Look how much NFLST was a few years ago 79.00 and almost 300.00 now and imagine in a couple years what MLBEI is gonna be.

But still whether your a cable or satellite customer there should be NO exclusiveness to no one.Everybody should have the right to whatever package or programming they can get.Look how much NFLST was a few years ago 79.00 and almost 300.00 now and imagine in a couple years what MLBEI is gonna be.

I disagree. I think that there should exclusiveness. ST ahs wet up becasue the package has improved over the years and I think your price range there is a little off. I only paid $200 for mine with HD. I hope D gets the MLB pack. If sports is important to you then you will get D, if not then there are other options. I am all for the person that wants to pay should get it and D wanted to pay for it.

I dont hate DirecTV I am not the biggest fan of them for other reasons I wont go into here. In fact I have a secondary account with DirecTV so if worse comes to worse I could get MLB EI on DirecTV but it would not be in a room of the house where I prefer to watch TV.

In fact the Red Sox-Phillie's games on NESN is not being blacked out on Dish Network today although this has happened in the past with some spring training games available and others blacked out.

Point is I paid $149 for MLB EI on Dish Network in 2006 how much would it cost me on DirecTV in 2007. . .?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts