DirecTV Defends Its Play for Extra Innings

Status
Please reply by conversation.
You are free to promote your business, and I have no issue with it at all. But you demonstrate a financially-motivated bias, a much heavier bias than my subscriber-level one. Don't point at my clothes unless you want me to point out that you're standing naked in the middle of the street.

FWIW, my decision to go D* rather than E* was primarily based on how E* handles negotiations, the potential to suddenly have channels go dark, and the lack of a strong slate of sports programming. Re: my sat provider, money is not the primary issue. I've got no sympathy for Charlie cuz he pissed in his own bed and now it's coming-around.

i agree 100%.For me it was LMN when it was shoved into AT180.So I go with the dark side oh it was scary at first.But then I noticed I liked the programming options better and the standard receivers are better.D* has more features but then D* did a mistake on my bill.To rectify this problem D* did for me more than E*
did in 4 years.D* showed they wanted to keep me as a subscriber so they did the
right thing.So far they are the best game in town.:up

P.S. I even like D* remote control better.:)

Last edited:
Now back on topic there has to be some reason MLB offered exculsivety to D*.If it's not illegal then there has to be sour grapes because others didn't think of it first.It will be a good addition to D*'s stable.;)

Seems to me that Dish has a lot of the sports channels these days. Now I remember when they did not have teh NFL Network or some of the other sports channels but correct me if I am wrong. Dish is carrying them all with the exception of the YES Network ans MASN in the Washington D.C. True Charlie can be a tight wad but he does not have the DirecTV pay any price mentality that DirecTV Does.

I noticed we at Dish Network got SNY and Sports Time Ohio pretty quickly after they launched.

With my DirecTV subscription I paid $12.99 if I remember correctly for the RSN that cost $5.99 a month with Dish Network, Not counting YES and MASN which was a black channel at the time. I did watch some of YES when I had it but it was blacked out so much that I dropped the Sports Pack from my DirectV subscription.

And in fairness, at this time last year I recall radio show hosts saying that Dish would be showing NFLN 24x7, before D* had committed to it. It has not always been that way, certainly was not when I made my initial decision. Since then I've observed several E*-broadcaster squabbles, and that's why I don't even entertain the notion of switching to E*. Reliability is important to me.

D* has a reputation of doing whatever it takes to keep the channels lit; E* won't hesitate to turn it off over disagreements in pricing or bundling requirements. I'm willing to pay a few $ more monthly, and carry some channels that nobody in my house will ever watch, for that reliability.

No question Sports pack is limited by the blackouts. You've really got to like reruns, local high scool sports, and local talk shows or the subscription is a waste.

Consider this: D* is pushing its LIL initiative as quickly as it can. E* is still pushing Washington to carry DNS. If you don't have good OTA signal, then you can't watch your local NFL team in HD on DISH every Sunday. Is it any wonder why D* keeps winning the exclusive ST contract?

Something has to come up soon as we are only about three weeks away from the baseball season!!, It shpuld be intresting to see what features will be added

Something has to come up soon as we are only about three weeks away from the baseball season!!, It shpuld be intresting to see what features will be added

Don't be surprised if it's a last-minute announcement.

I get DNS from DirecTV all New York and Los Angeles stations (Big 4). With Dish I get FOX and NBC from San Francisco and Atlanta) threw NPS.

Being from Los Angeles being able to watch my home town football team has not been a problem and it seems like it is a problem that will keep for a few more years.

But I agree if YOUR favorite channel that goes dark during a dish network dispute I understand completely. I remember when the kids could not watch Nickelodeon for about 10 days a few years back. Now they also watch Cartoon Network and Disney (which they had not really watched before that)

Baseball season starts in 3 weeks MLB needs to make a decision one way or the other and soon. Its not fair to who ever is not able to even adversities the package. This time last year I had paid Dish Network my $149 already.

I'm not gonna get in the middle of you two - but your argument DISHCOMM is off-base in so many ways.

For you to naively think there is NO connection between the E*/YES issue and the EI issue is wrong - and one of the reasons that MLB might want to offer D* an exclusive. DISH is cutting the most watched MLB channel out from the LARGEST DMA in the country - that affects everything - ad rates, viewership, buy rates - you name it. EVERY owner gets a piece of the action, and the action is reduced greatly when the largest RSN, the most watched team is NOT included in your offering.

Hate the Yanks, love the Yanks - don't matter - they are BY FAR the largest draw!
Ok, look I have no dog in this fight other than maintaining comon sense. Please show the connection or any corrolary between the D*/MLB deal and YES vs E*...
E* isn't "cutting " anything...They are making a business decision they believe to be in the best interest to ALL of their customers. Remember the cost of YES is borne by all E* subs in the NYC DMA..E* most likely has found that a majority of their subs are NOT Yankees fans or do not care to pay extra for the service.....Anyway the people in that region have the choice to go elsewhere to get the service..I really don't see a problem here..
Now it is your job to do a llittle research and show where the connection is between the two..

Ok, look I have no dog in this fight other than maintaining comon sense. Please show the connection or any corrolary between the D*/MLB deal and YES vs E*...
E* isn't "cutting " anything...They are making a business decision they believe to be in the best interest to ALL of their customers. Remember the cost of YES is borne by all E* subs in the NYC DMA..E* most likely has found that a majority of their subs are NOT Yankees fans or do not care to pay extra for the service.....Anyway the people in that region have the choice to go elsewhere to get the service..I really don't see a problem here..
Now it is your job to do a llittle research and show where the connection is between the two..

No - its my opinion and presented so - just like yours. But since you bring in the business thing - than it makes even more sense why they would not want to 'play ball' with DISH. Dish excludes the HIGHEST RATED RSN from its coverage, and has the lowest share in the NY DMA. That's why I believe it. BTW, where is YOUR proof that there is NO connection? I'm gonna take a wild guess - you don't have any either, you just stated your opinion didn't you?

No - its my opinion and presented so - just like yours. But since you bring in the business thing - than it makes even more sense why they would not want to 'play ball' with DISH. Dish excludes the HIGHEST RATED RSN from its coverage, and has the lowest share in the NY DMA. That's why I believe it. BTW, where is YOUR proof that there is NO connection? I'm gonna take a wild guess - you don't have any either, you just stated your opinion didn't you?
Um first off..YOU claimed that there is a connection between the D*/EI deal and the YES/E* issue....In this country the one who makes the claim must prove that claim to be factual..It is not MY job to prove a negative....The two companies operate exclusively..Clearly you are realizing your argument has lost steam so you've resorted to desperate attempts to save face by demanding others do your bidding..Not gonna happen ,Chief.
BTW the issue with YES and E* is a fact..No gray matter there..Not a drop...E* isn't "excluding" anything..Once again, the company made a business decision in the best interests of the company and the customers..Why is that concept so difficult for you to grasp...

Um first off..YOU claimed that there is a connection between the D*/EI deal and the YES/E* issue....In this country the one who makes the claim must prove that claim to be factual..It is not MY job to prove a negative....The two companies operate exclusively..Clearly you are realizing your argument has lost steam so you've resorted to desperate attempts to save face by demanding others do your bidding..Not gonna happen ,Chief.
BTW the issue with YES and E* is a fact..No gray matter there..Not a drop...E* isn't "excluding" anything..Once again, the company made a business decision in the best interests of the company and the customers..Why is that concept so difficult for you to grasp...

Now read carefully (its obvious you didn't the first time)- here is the post you are talking about. I said:

"For you to naively think there is NO connection between the E*/YES issue and the EI issue is wrong - and one of the reasons that MLB might want to offer D* an exclusive." Might implies an opinion, it would not state it as fact.

Do you see the word might? Might means maybe, could be, possible, etc. It NEVER means FOR SURE, or DEFINITELY, or FACTUALLY.

BTW, I accept that DISH made a business decision to not have YES, and frankly it doesn't bother me, I took my business elsewhere as a result. The majority of people in the NY DMA made a decision to NOT sub to DISH. This IS the largest DMA and one of the largest income areas (both of some importance I would think to a national company). Seems like Major League Baseball is making a business decision ALSO, and it might just be TOO BAD for you.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)