Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
I just got this in my mailbox from DirecTV
Customers with HD DNS channels will start to see crawls on their HD DNS channels starting Wednesday. These are intended to communicate to MPEG2 customers the urgency of them needing to switch out their MPEG2 hardware to MPEG4 hardware.
The crawls will appear at the top of each hour initially and may be throttled up depending on how many customers react and how quickly.

The crawl will have a message something like this “THIS CHANNEL WILL BE MOVING. PLEASE TUNE TO CHANNEL 85 FOR MORE INFORMATION.”

It will direct customers to channel 85 which will explain the need for a 5 LNB dish, and a MPEG4 HD receiver.

The slide will ask customers to view:
New Lineup:
CBSWHD – Channel 391
NBCWHD – Channel 393
ABCWHD – Channel 397
FOXWHD – Channel 399

If the customer receives an error message or searching for satellite, they will need to call for the upgrade.

The message is directed for customers in the Western Half of the United States right now in order to migrate these folks to MPEG4 and reclaim that MPEG2 bandwidth.

My thanks to DirecTV for the information!

It's good to see them preparing more space on the regular sats - changing 8 HD DNS can produce around 32 national SD channels.

Plus - gets DNS customers into MPEG 4 equipment, hopefully something they can be happy about :)

I would assume it will be a free upgrade like the Nascar or MLB offer is for people with MPEG2 only equipment, but the message from D* does not clarify.

I wonder when the drop dead date will be for the left coast DNS folks. Nice to see they're finally making one last notification to get folks to switch.

In the long term I wonder what they'll do for the east coast DNS. Will the just leave them on Ku band but move them to MPEG4 so folks with moble rigs don't need to try aligning a 5LNB dish when they park somewhere?

It certainly appears that there has been a shift in DirecTV's laid back approach to the MPEG4 conversion.

But as they have already notified the NASCAR HD subs, the MLB HD subs, and will be doing the same shortly with NFL HD subs it seems as if they want to get the MPEG2 HD channels turned off sometime this year.

I wouldn't call it a "shift," per se, but really just the process moving along. Honestly, I didn't think the DNS channels would even last this long. However, D* chose to shut off channels for NFL ST, so that gave them enough headroom to live with the MPEG2 DNS's for a while longer.

Don't forget, also, the cheaper HR21 now being mass produced. Maybe just a $ play.

This sucks. I now have to switch all my recordings from the 80's channels to the new channels. One good thing is that it will save me space on my HDD and it will hopefully look better.

I asked for some clarification as to whether this program would be free to customers, similiar to the Nascar & MLB programs already announced (where they are calling customers directly).

Here is the response:
As for free upgrade, that is the intent...basically it's the same program as NASCAR and MLB but remember the customer must be in good standing. The free swap also only covers like for like. In other words, the dish is replaced and the receiver (MPEG2 HD), but if a customer wants to relocate a receiver or add another line, etc then that gets beyond the like for like swap.

I also asked it there was a timeline for east coast DNS customers and was told it would probably happen eventually, but there is no timeline or dates of yet.

The only difference between this and the MLB/Nascar is that D* is contacting the sports customers, versus the customer is to contact D* for the DNS swap.

Not sure why they are not doing this proactively like they are the sports, maybe they want to see if people really watch their DNS feeds :)

Not sure why they are not doing this proactively like they are the sports, maybe they want to see if people really watch their DNS feeds :)

Most likely with the sports it's happening *now* as in a matter of weeks and there is no turning back. So they need to get the offers out there ASAP so that customers can still get their programming.

DNS is not going away in a matter of weeks, probably months so they have more time to deal with those people.

why would DNS go away?
where would DNS folks get network service?
There are still many in rural areas that do not get cable or OTA easily

DNS isn't going away. It is just the ability to be able to get them with the older D* equipment. You'll have to get the 5 LNB dish and HD receiver/HD DVR to continue to receive them.

What's going away is the MPEG2 version which will be replace with MPEG-4 versions that will be coming from D*'s new D10 satellite which requires the new equipment to see and decode.

FUBAR. :mad: I have yet to get a single phone call or e-mail from D* about having the old equipment. At this point I'm tempted to wait until they pull the plug, raise holy hell to Retention and see what freebies they pitch at me. :tux:

This won't affect me like I thought, they are only doing West Coast DNS right now and I missed that part.

Is it possible they are doing this to relieve compression on the SD channels, as opposed to adding new ones? Currently, their SD channels look pretty bad. If they can get them to look good again, that would be great.

New York already has Mpeg 4 locals. They have had for quite sometime now. Since the fall at least . Channel 2,4,5,7.
Mpeg 2 is 80,82,86,88. for HD
,SD is 380,382,386,388.

DirecTV USA on Spaceway 2 at 99.2°W - LyngSat

Ok & those with DNS from the E Coast can't get them in MPEG-4 format. Only those in the NYC DMA get the channels in MPEG-4 from SW2. Hence the E Coast will follow soon, for those getting NY channels in HD outside NYC DMA will eventually follow with those channels going CONUS on D10 or D11 once launched in March.

Ok & those with DNS from the E Coast can't get them in MPEG-4 format. Only those in the NYC DMA get the channels in MPEG-4 from SW2. Hence the E Coast will follow soon, for those getting NY channels in HD outside NYC DMA will eventually follow with those channels going CONUS on D10 or D11 once launched in March.
So in other words, Mine are spot beamed?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts