Directv doesn't want the HR22-100 back

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The point is -- it is being done on a one by one customer contact. Call 'em and ask for an upgrade and see if they want a pre-HR24 back.

DirecTV ain't about to mark 'every' pre-HR24 as owned.
I just had an upgrade when we moved in April...I don't need an upgrade lol

I would only deactivate them if I don't have to send them back, otherwise I'd keep them active just not hooked up...I don't get why it would be on a customer by customer basis. That makes no sense to me...

you are mixing two situations.
If you decide you don't want a receiver any longer on your account, and it is "leased", DirecTV in principle wants it to be returned for reuse. If it's an older model, instead of returning it, they might ask you to return just the access card, or maybe nothing at all. If you keep the receiver, you MIGHT be able to reactivate it in the future but only on your account - you can do this right now but we don't know if this will continue.
If you want to deactivate a leased receiver on a temporary basis, you can't. If you deactivate it as I described above, you can't guarantee what DirecTv will do. They might ask for it back, or the access card. So you might lose the equipment forever. Yes, it's a loophole that might work for you. But also you might be out an expensive DVR. If you want to take the risk, I guess that's up to you.

I don't see how that's two different situations...in each case, I'm deactivating a receiver.

you are mixing two situations.
If you decide you don't want a receiver any longer on your account, and it is "leased", DirecTV in principle wants it to be returned for reuse. If it's an older model, instead of returning it, they might ask you to return just the access card, or maybe nothing at all. If you keep the receiver, you MIGHT be able to reactivate it in the future but only on your account - you can do this right now but we don't know if this will continue.
If you want to deactivate a leased receiver on a temporary basis, you can't. If you deactivate it as I described above, you can't guarantee what DirecTv will do. They might ask for it back, or the access card. So you might lose the equipment forever. Yes, it's a loophole that might work for you. But also you might be out an expensive DVR. If you want to take the risk, I guess that's up to you.
On a positive side, if he keeps it active, it's only costing him $6 per month.

Here's a thought...if I deactivate and they send me a kit, can I change my mind and keep it anyway?

Here's a thought...if I deactivate and they send me a kit, can I change my mind and keep it anyway?
Probably, if you contact them and reactivate it before the "Must be back to us " date has passed, after that date they BILL you Big time for the recvr.

Status
Please reply by conversation.