Status
Please reply by conversation.

cave1376

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
Hells waiting room (El Paso,TX)
I just saw a commercial. The commercial states,

KVIA-TV's contract with DIRECTV expires Monday, August 23rd at 1 p.m. Unfortunately, the negotiations are at an impass.

We are asking DIRECTV to pay our station a small fraction of what DIRECTV pays for cable networks like ESPN, The Disney channel and Fox Sports.

And, to our disappointment, DIRECTV refuses to deliver to you KVIA's three other digital channels that we have offered for free, at no charge.

We will keep you informed of the status of negotiations with DIRECTV.

KVIA (7.1) is our local ABC channel. The three other digital channels are, CW (7.2), Storm Track (7.3) and LATV (7.4).

Is this just between KVIA and Directv, or is this happening to other ABC stations? And will Directv replace KVIA with one of the national ABC feeds, either channel 386 or 387?

I thought Directv paid ABC, then ABC would pay the local channel. I did not know Directv paid KVIA and other local channels directly. About how much does Directv pay to local channels so they broadcast the channel?

I just saw a commercial. The commercial states,

KVIA-TV's contract with DIRECTV expires Monday, August 23rd at 1 p.m. Unfortunately, the negotiations are at an impass.

We are asking DIRECTV to pay our station a small fraction of what DIRECTV pays for cable networks like ESPN, The Disney channel and Fox Sports.

And, to our disappointment, DIRECTV refuses to deliver to you KVIA's three other digital channels that we have offered for free, at no charge.

We will keep you informed of the status of negotiations with DIRECTV.

KVIA (7.1) is our local ABC channel. The three other digital channels are, CW (7.2), Storm Track (7.3) and LATV (7.4).

Is this just between KVIA and Directv, or is this happening to other ABC stations? And will Directv replace KVIA with one of the national ABC feeds, either channel 386 or 387?

I thought Directv paid ABC, then ABC would pay the local channel. I did not know Directv paid KVIA and other local channels directly. About how much does Directv pay to local channels so they broadcast the channel?

D* has NEVER carried sub channels ..... if this is what KVIA is bargaining for, good luck.

It actually has to do with the company that owns the station, and not the network the station belongs to (the exception would be stations owned and operated by the networks, which are usually in larger markets). In this case, the contract is between DirecTV and News-Press & Gazette, who owns KVIA in El Paso and stations in several other cities. Stations they own in Palm Springs CA, Colorado Springs CO, and Idaho Falls ID have similar statements on their websites.

Unfortunately, DirecTV is not allowed to replace them with a national feed.

As for DirecTV compensating local stations for retransmission of their signals, there are two different things that can happen. A local station can declare itself as must-carry and provide the feed to DirecTV for free or they can decline must-carry status and opt to negotiate with TV providers for compensation instead. Companies that own "Big 4 network" stations tend to go for compensation more often, because this programming is more highly-watched, and therefore is more highly-valued. Non-network stations that are struggling to reach a wider audience are more likely to provide their signal for free.

Hopefully they can work something out soon. Apparently DirecTV has a history with this company, though. Wasn't KVIA missing from their El Paso lineup not too long ago? They were added just before the CFB national championship game, if I recall correctly.

The latest retrans faceoff is pitting the News Press & Gazette's (NPG) suite of broadcast properties against DIRECTV. NPG stations affected include KRDO (CBS) in Colorado Springs and Pueblo, CO; KVIA (ABC) in El Paso, TX; KESQ (ABC), KDFX (FOX) and KUNA (TMO) in Palm Springs, CA; and KIFI (ABC) in Idaho Falls, ID.

MediaBiz

That and/or trying to force them to carry the rest of their channels as part of the carriage agreement. Would do wonders for their advertising revenue on those sub channels...

D* has NEVER carried sub channels ..... if this is what KVIA is bargaining for, good luck.

actually if its a network (and yes CW & MY are considered Networks) and its a subchannel the station holds the main one hostage for D* or E& to add the subchannel

by the way, D* carries the "national" CW affiliate in that market (CW washington DC) and not the subchannel

I hate subchannels. CBS is well know for great PQ, especially on NFL, but the local here has like 3 or 4 subchannels, and the it just killed the PQ.

Yep, sounds like another case of an affiliate (and / or its parent) twisting the truth a tad bit)

I can't believe they compare themselves to the likes of ESPN.

Thats the one advantage of my local CBS being O&O...no subchannels on a owned and operated CBS

It stinks. I record a TON of CBS during Fall and Spring. It's weird to see compression like that on OTA, you can imagine how good it would look on Dish and Directv...

Op, it might be possible to "move" to the Albuquerque DMA until they settle... you would be on the edge of the signal (I am also 150 miles to the east of you)I'd like to get KVIA back as we have more in common with El Paso than Albuquerque, they sold our affiliate to KOAT a few years back...

So the way I understand it is that the dispute is between NEWS PRESS & GAZETTE, which owns KVIA and other tv stations, and Directv. All NEWS PRESS & GAZETTE owned stations will be affected and will not let Directv retransmit until an agreement is reached.

I've seen the web sights of some of the NP&G owned stations, and they all state their contract with Directv will expire on Monday at 1p.m. (Mountain).

I feel sorry for Palm Spring subs that have analoge tv but don't have a converter box cause they will lose three channels. The tv in my bedroom is analoge and I don't have a converter because Directv carries my locals and WDCW. Directv supplies the national CW feed and not the local feed here which is kind of bad because some of the programs on WDCW (ch. 384 & 15)are later shown on a local channel or vise versa.

Op, it might be possible to "move" to the Albuquerque DMA until they settle... you would be on the edge of the signal (I am also 150 miles to the east of you)I'd like to get KVIA back as we have more in common with El Paso than Albuquerque, they sold our affiliate to KOAT a few years back...

It could be possible but I don't see the point because I am losing one channel and it wouldn't be worth the hastle.

That is untrue. DirecTV carries several subchannels, mainly CW and MyNetworkTV affiliates.

CW and MyNetworkTV are NOT Sub Channels at least in this area they are not.

For example, in Detroit My TV is channel 20 and CW is channel 50.
Sub channels are the .1, .2 and .3 channels, you often find news on them or weather.

True... you would lose all El Paso news unless you have an OTA antenna, which begs the question the antennas for all the TV stations are on top of the Franklins are they not?

The only tv that has ota is in the kids room, but no Directv, the other two have Directv but no ota. The antennas on the mountain are used to transmit tv and radio. The distance the antennas can transmit is far due to the height from which they transmit.

Status
Please reply by conversation.