Directv dual receiver

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

12trojan

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2007
I am currently a Dish customer and thinking about switching to Direct. I currently have a duel receiver that operates two t.v.'s off a single line coming in. I'm not sure how Dish set this up but it looks like some type of splitter going into the box. My question is, if I switch to Direct and get duel receiver can Direct do the same thing with duel receivers or does a second line have to be run into the house for each duel? If so, I can't switch because there will be no way to run the second lines. Thanks for any help because I can't find the answer to this question and don't want to order Direct only to find out that it can't be done.

Last edited:
Directv does not have any dual tuner receivers atm. So you would have to run lines to the places you need them. plus you would have to run 2nd lines to places where you want dvrs. Sry dude

Prior response only 50% correct, no TV2 output feature on DirecTV DVR's but when using a SWM8 or SWMLNB the DVR's need only one sat coax run. Problem is if you get a SWM setup is hit or miss with your installer. If you MUST have one you need to go to a local retailer that can make sure you get one or purchase your own from sites like Weaknees or Solidsignal and have them install it for you.

DirecTV is testing multi room viewing where using an ethernet connection (wired/wireless/powerline) you can view recorded conent via that network on other set top boxes, hopefully it will go national release in a few months.

Directv does not have any dual tuner receivers atm. So you would have to run lines to the places you need them. plus you would have to run 2nd lines to places where you want dvrs. Sry dude
Wow, talk about inaccuracies. :) All of DirecTV DVRs have dual tuners. They just can't output separately. DirecTV also has Single Wire Multiswitch (SWM) technology which allows a dual tuner DVR to use both tuners with only one line run.

Do people understand that this site has a search function!? This question has been answered hundreds of times. I don't mean to sound harsh but come on people!

DirecTV also has Single Wire Multiswitch (SWM) technology which allows a dual tuner DVR to use both tuners with only one line run.
How can you get this? Is there any special requirement you need? I looked at the junction box outside my house the other day, and it is an ugly mess visible from the street.

How can you get this? Is there any special requirement you need? I looked at the junction box outside my house the other day, and it is an ugly mess visible from the street.

You'll have to buy either the SWMLNB or SWM8 external switch on your own, only new installs have a chance for getting a SWMLNB and SWM8's are only used in multi unit buildings. Check out a couple of this sites sponsors, Weaknees has a good section on installing and support.

plus you would have to run 2nd lines to places where you want dvrs.
Not that it makes a difference to the OP, but to clarify: you do not have to run two lines to DVRs. To utilize both tuners you indeed need to run two lines or use SWM, but the DVRs will function with a single line and tuner. We only have one line running to our bedroom DVR, and it functions just fine (on a single tuner). The main reason we have a DVR in the bedroom is for the pause and rewind functionality, so we don't really miss the 2nd tuner. (and the room originally had in internal wall installation for a non-DVR, and we didn't feel like paying for a line fish again for the 2nd tuner when we upgraded to the DVR)

In the vast majority of cases this would not be desired, but it is not required.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)